HTML-ifying John Kelly’s answer key to Gair and Karunatillake

Hi all,

As you might have gathered, there is a group here working through Gair & Karunatillake’s “A New Course in Reading Pāli”, an unofficial continuation of the summer course from BAUS (more info here).

The instructor @stephen (hi!) pointed out a very useful companion document to Gair & Karunatillake by the scholar John Kelly, which includes translations (and also specific citations to the canon, which are lacking in the original). It’s really useful! It seems ot be available in various locations on the web, here’s the one from Archive.org (along with audio recordings of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s earlier course on the same book):

Right, now you know as much as I do about this book, dear reader. :slight_smile:

Now, my question: I am thinking about trying to convert Kelly’s document to HTML. That would make it more useful on phones, and it would be more easily searchable. I also have some ideas about fun ways to annotate the document.

Anyway, the version that is floating around is a PDF, and unfortunately it’s one of those weird PDFs that kind of munges up the actual text. Consequently, it’s very hard to parse the content, and doing it by hand would be a very painstaking process.

Does anyone have John Kelly’s contact information, or is he perhaps even a member here? I ask because I was hoping that maybe he still has a pre-PDF version of the document that might be more easily parseable.

A shot in the dark :slight_smile:

:pray:

3 Likes