"if this exists, that exists" etc

What about using the word “conditionality” or “nutriment”? They still give a sense of anatta-ish-ness, which I think perhaps “pattern” gives… But they also highlight the more intimate, sometimes two-or-more-way impactful nature of the relationships that can, and potentially can, exist between phenomena.

Also, in terms of practical application, if it were a toss up between “pattern” and “cause”, I reckon I’d go for cause. Yes, there is a feeling that “causing change” is similar or the same as “creating patterns for change”. But I think “cause” has more of an active sense to it - in using the word “pattern” you have to add more words to a sentence/phrase to make it less passive. I think “cause” is more in line with the active nature of the 8FP and is more in line with words like “intention”, “motivation”, “volition” and “choice”.

And in the end, a “practical application” has to appeal to our sense of self and its agency and potential to effect change. Here I’m reminded of that saying: “be the change you want to see.”

Apologies for any repetition etc. as I haven’t read the whole thread. Also, I think there might have been some sutta references to the OP topic here and also here…but I can’t remember for sure… :slight_smile:

5 Likes