Increasing the readability of omissions/repetitions even further

Thanks for the suggestions. The post that Aminah links to includes some of my entirely cynical and depressive thoughts about the potential of such things!

Having said which, some of you suggestions may be usable, such as linkifying sutta IDs in abbreviated passages.

Nevertheless, the more cogent issue at the moment is that our efforts are going into the new site, and as far as I’m concerned all the current translations are deprecated. I think it’s a waste of time to put work and time into them for now, and probably for the future. They’ll remain there, and we might fix typos or whatever, but not put major effort into them. So if we are to look at ways of improving handling of abbreviations, this should be done on the basis of the new generation of translation.

Now, as far as that is concerned, my central aim is to create texts that will be readable in and of themselves. Given the nature of the literature, it will not be possible to fully satisfy everyone’s individual usage, but we will certainly be able to do a lot better than before. My suggestion at this time would be to wait and see how it turns out with the new translations. Once we have experience using them, we will have a clearer idea of what kinds of enhancements will be useful going forward.

3 Likes