Intersection of all the different satipatthana sutta versions?

According to Ven. Sujato in this blog post there are seven versions of the sattipathana sutta.

Is there a text which is an intersection between all of them available anywhere? Or a list of the contemplations that are in all of them (IIRC asubha contemplation was in all the different versions).

I remember there being a text or a list somewhere, but I couldn’t find it by searching.

Thanks!

I’m not sure it’s quite what you’re after, but there is this version of the sutta as drafted on the basis of Ven.Sujato’s “History of Mindfulness”.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was after! :slight_smile: Thank you!

Sadhu!

1 Like

Maybe here: https://de.scribd.com/document/322465364/Overview-of-the-Satipatthana-Methods-in-the-different-Satipatthana-Texts. This lists the practises of the 7 versions.

1 Like

contemplation on anatomical parts,pleasant,neutral,painful,worldly unworldly feelings,cittanupassana contents in the pali tradition,awakening factors and hindrances are common in most of the teachings.

1 Like

U can find a detailed emphasis on these different meditation methods in bhikkhu Analayo’s “satipatthana”. Perhaps u might have read it already.

Contemplation of anatomical parts being common to all the traditions suggests that it wud have played a major role in early Buddhism. Arriving at a conclusion contemplation of anatomical parts shud not be abandoned.

I often wondered whether the refrain of watching arising and passing away was applied to all of the different meditations within the Satipatthana, in the different satipatthana suttas. It seems to more naturally applicable to particular meditations such as the different feelings.

Metta

Yes, I read it recently actually [The much shorter “exploring satipatthana” is the one i read :slight_smile: ]. Ven. Analayo makes a really good point about this often repeated refrain:

In this way they meditate by observing an aspect of the body inside; they meditate by observing an aspect of the body outside; they meditate by observing an aspect of the body inside and outside.

So far, it seems to me that one of the ways body contemplation works is to break down the distinction between inside (my stuff) and outside (not my stuff). For example, there’s no difference between the heat in a radiator and the heat in my body; both intellectually and experientially both are just heat.

I treat my body as special, but on investigation there’s nothing about the nature of my body that justifies that. Like everything else, it’s just a clump of earth that is able to stick together for an odd 60-80 years (maybe) before it’s ground down to gunk and dust :slight_smile:

In Ven. Analayo’s exploring satipatthana, he seems to interpret the arising and passing away as insights into impermanence.

2 Likes

exactly ! well said ! the aim of external application of mindfulness is to deconstruct the difference between oneself and the external world. external mindfulness is not limited to living beings it can be applied to material things as well. as you mentioned " For example, there’s no difference between the heat in a radiator and the heat in my body; both intellectually and experientially both are just heat."

2 Likes