Is patisambhidamagga influenced by vibhanga?

Here is the the quote from patisambhidamagga

Patisambhidamagga 1.5
1.The eye faculty is to be directly known.
2.The ear faculty …
3.The nose faculty …
4…The tongue faculty …
5.The body faculty …
6.The mind faculty …
7.The life faculty …
8.The femininity faculty …
9.The masculinity faculty …
10.The [bodily] pleasure faculty …
11.The [bodily] pain faculty …
12.The [mental] joy faculty…
13.The [mental] grief faculty …
14.The equanimity faculty …
15.The faith faculty …
16.The energy faculty …
17.The mindfulness faculty…
18.The concentration faculty…
19.The understanding faculty…
20.The I-shall-come-to-know-the-unknown faculty …
21.The final-knowledge
faculty …
22.The final-knower faculty …

Here is the vibhanga quote

Vibhanga 5
The twenty-two faculties are: The faculty of eye, faculty of ear, faculty of nose, faculty of tongue, faculty of body, faculty of mind, faculty of femininity, faculty of masculinity, faculty of vital principle, faculty of pleasure (physical), faculty of pain (physical), faculty of mental pleasure, faculty of mental pain, faculty of indifference, faculty of confidence, faculty of energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of samādhi, faculty of wisdom, faculty of “I am knowing the unknown”, faculty of knowing, faculty of one who has known fully.

Does the sutta mention those 22 faculties ?

Here in patisambhidamagga brain is mentioned as body part

Patisambhidamagga 1.5
Head hairs are to be directly known.
Body hairs …
Teeth …
Nails …
Skin …
Flesh …
Sinews …
Bones …
Marrow …
Kidney …
Heart…
Liver…
Midriff…
Spleen …
Lights …
Bowels …
Entrails …
Gorge…
Dung…
Bile…
Phlegm…
Pus…
Blood…
Sweat…
Fat…
Tears …
Grease …
Spittle …
Snot …
Oil-of-the joints …
Urine …
Brain…

But like sutta in vibhanga there’s no brain body part

Vibhanga 7
There are in this body:

hairs of the head, body hairs, nails, teeth, skin, flesh, sinews, bones, bone-marrow, kidneys, heart, liver, pleura, spleen, lungs, intestines, mesentery, undigested food, excrement, bile, phlegm, pus, blood, sweat, fat, tears, grease, spit, mucus, synovial fluid, urine.

Hi @Ratana , I moved the topic to discussion as the OP presents a question for which a single and sufficient answer won’t be found. It is however a good topic for discussion. :anjal:

2 Likes

I can’t say if it’s influenced by vibangha, but I can say that the last time I studied patisambhidhamagga there were a few of ideas that contradicted the suttas enough for me to set it aside as not EBT. Path and fruit for example arise together in patisambhidhamagga, whereas it doesn’t in the suttas and neither in some other commentaries like netti and petakopadesa, which are my preferred commentaries when I need to look for extra information.

edit: netti may predate patisambhidhamagga according to wiki

on patisambhidhamagga

Its content and aspects of its composition overlap significantly with the Vibhanga, and A.K. Warder suggested that at some stage in its development it may have been classified as an Abhidhamma text.[2]

Noa Ronkin suggests that the Patisambhidamagga likely dates from the era of the Abhidhamma’s formation, and represents a parallel development of the interpretive traditions reflected by the Vibhanga and Dhammasangani.[4]

on netti

Verses in the Nettipakarana composed in a poetic meter unknown in Sri Lanka suggest a northern Indian origin for the text that predates the Christian era.[2] It is one of the few post-canonical texts composed in Pāli that predates the work of Buddhaghosa, who quotes from it and uses its methods and technical terms in his own commentaries.[5][2] The structure of the text- where the later verses are constructed as commentaries on a summary verse- became popular in the first centuries CE, while the āryā meter used for its verses was already being used for such verses around 150 BCE.[6]

2 Likes

What passage of patisambhidamagga is it can you quote it ?

Sorry, It’s been years since I did my research on it, if you search for the path and fruit (magga phala) on an OCR pdf or pali on suttacentral, you should be able to find it. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

Is patisambhidamagga influenced by vibhanga?

Hello. I would speculate the opposite, namely, the Vibhanga is influenced by Patisambhidamagga.

When the Paṭiccasamuppāda Vibhaṅga refers to paṭiccasamuppāda from the Suttas, it uses definitions of ‘bhava’ (namely, kammabhavo & upapattibhavo) from the Patisambhidamagga, which is included in the KN of the Suttas .

Vibhaṅga

Paṭiccasamuppādavibhaṅga

1. Suttantabhājanīya

1. The Section Derived from the Discourses

Tattha katamo upādānapaccayā bhavo? Bhavo duvidhena— atthi kammabhavo, atthi upapattibhavo.

Therein what is “because of attachment becoming arises”? Becoming by way of twofold division: Is action-becoming; is resultant-becoming.

Tattha katamo kammabhavo? Puññābhisaṅkhāro, apuññābhisaṅkhāro, āneñjābhisaṅkhāro— ayaṁ vuccati “kammabhavo”. Sabbampi bhavagāmikammaṁ kammabhavo.

Therein what is action-becoming? Activity producing good (resultant), activity producing bad (resultant), activity producing unshakeable (resultant). This is called action-becoming. Also all action leading to becoming is action-becoming.

Tattha katamo upapattibhavo? Kāmabhavo, rūpabhavo, arūpabhavo, saññābhavo, asaññābhavo, nevasaññānāsaññābhavo, ekavokārabhavo, catuvokārabhavo, pañcavokārabhavo— ayaṁ vuccati “upapattibhavo”. Ayaṁ vuccati “upādānapaccayā bhavo”.

Therein what is resultant-becoming? Becoming (in the plane of) desire, becoming (in the plane of) form, becoming (in the) formless (plane), perception-becoming, non-perception-becoming, neither perception nor non-perception-becoming, single aggregate becoming, four aggregate becoming, five aggregate becoming. This is called resultant-becoming. This is called “because of attachment becoming arises”.

Paṭisambhidāmagga

Ñāṇakathā

Ps 1.1 — Mahāsaṅgīti Tipiṭaka Buddhavasse 2500
(SuttaCentral)

upādānaṁ, cetanā bhavo. Ime pañca dhammā idha kammabhavasmiṁ āyatiṁ paṭisandhiyā paccayā. Āyatiṁ paṭisandhi

Ñāṇakathā

Ps 1.1 — Mahāsaṅgīti Tipiṭaka Buddhavasse 2500
(SuttaCentral)

vedayitaṁ vedanā. Ime pañca dhammā āyatiṁ upapattibhavasmiṁ idha katassa kammassa paccayā. Itime catusaṅkhepe