Is the metric conditioned?

This is the question:
Is the distance between any two points, is permanent?
Is the distance between any two points conditioned?
If it is permanent and / or not conditioned, is Nibbāna?

Please shun the question about whether or not it has to do with suffering is not acceptable. It has to do with suffering.

Hi tommit, do you maybe use google translate for your English? It’s a shame because often it’s difficult to understand what you really mean.

If I understand your first two questions correctly, the mathematical/physical answer is almost certainly: yes, the distance between to points is conditioned. It’s conditioned by the dimensional properties of the space in which the two points are located. So I’m afraid that actual or logical space is not suited to draw conclusions regarding nibbana.

1 Like

You’re gonna have to explain how that is?

I would say, depending on perspective, no. Where are the points? If on Earth, well, nothing here is really “fixed” in space since we’re on a giant rock flying through space and “revolving at 900 miles an hour… orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it’s reckoned” to quote Monty Python. If instead you’re talking about abstract mathematical points, what does that have to do with the reality of experience?

To relate to the suttas, pamāṇa is a word that can be translated as measure, and I’m pretty sure Nibbāna is described as apamāṇa or measureless.

1 Like

but nibbana is a psychological state, not a thing or phenomenon out there, so constancy of metrics, even if it’s true, is irrelevant to our own ontological status, the constancy must be established within

1 Like

Yes, it’s a shame. I speak Spanish and Portuguese, but little English.

The answer is that the metric is conditioned by the expansion of the vacuum. So that the metric depends on the time and it is no more than a perception of change, of impermanence and this in turn of the same conditionality.
You can notice that nothing in the universe is infinitely large or infinitely small. Nothing is smaller than quantum.
The matter is only a concept. The elementary particles are only wave functions.
We are immersed in mathematics.
And there is nothing, absolutely nothing that is not conditioned. Even the nothingness does not exist. The most perfect vacuum is the “cosmic vacuum” containing the energy equivalent of 3 hydrogen atoms per cubic meter. This universe is a digital world, it isn’t analogic.
What’s more, if something unconditioned appeared, everything would collapse.

Nibbāna is not a psychological state, for if it were, nibbāna would be a function of a psyche. And nibbāna is unconditioned.
Nibbāna is real. And it does not depend on who observes it. He neither wins nor loses. Neither has metric nor has time.

or nibbana is the lack of attachment of the 5 aggregates to themselves and their objects