Is there a master of the full lotus posture on SC?

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering if there is someone here who managed to master the full lotus posture, i.e being able to sit with toes facing the sides, the kneels touching the ground and without big pain during 1 hour.

If so, I’m wondering how this person managed to stretch in order to accomplish that.

I can do it, but not in comfort.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I can’t help you with your question, but perhaps if your endeavor fails, consider the future Buddha Maitreya and sit in comfort: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

People’s joints and tendons are different. Some are more flexible than others. If you can’t sit in full lotus posture with ease, then you probably shouldn’t. I know some monks who had knee surgery and all, so it’s not a healthy thing.

3 Likes

Namo Buddhaya!

It is generally rough on the knees, even if one can sit without much discomfort, it might add up if one sits much.

Being very underweight makes it less taxing on the knees. Sitting in samadhi such that your posture is maintained without your awareness is also a way to sit comfortably but i don’t know if this would spare the knees in the long term.

1 Like

Time will make any posture easier, but physical ailments may arise from stressing joints.

Here are some stretches you should master before attempting full lotus. If you force yourself into full lotus without the proper hip flexibility it can damage your knees.