Is this real or a scam?

#Believe_it_or_not

On 13th May,2021 coinciding with the 2nd day of Vesak Month, a Buddhist monk from Myanmar attained Nirvana in full consciousness.

=====
In the last few days, I saw this video on the Internet that went viral. But I couldn’t find the monk’s name or the name of the monastery he lives. Can anyone tell me more details or comment on it? Thanks!

1 Like

Personally I think a monk can’t claim to attain jhana let alone arahantship lol

But Bhante @Brahmali knows better about this topic than me

Did they mean parinirvana? I don’t know if something was lost in translation, but “attained Nirvana in full consciousness” is a confusing statement, especially considering what happens in the video. In the EBTs physical death has nothing to do with “attaining nirvana.” So anyone who becomes an arahant “attains Nirvana in full consciousness.” Dying is not a consequence of attaining Nirvana.

2 Likes

I watched a guy lay down on a blanket. Then after a few minutes some people picked him up, stuck him in what looked like a coffin, and carried him around. How does this relate to nirvana?

It has the appearance of a stunt. I watched the “endurance artist” David Blaine do stunts like sit inside a block of ice for 63 hours, stand on a 100ft tall pillar for 35 hours, fast for 44 days, etc. Is he doing a “buried alive” stunt? (I’m honestly not sure what this video is trying to show me)

3 Likes

If they showed the body being cremated I would be more convinced, for all we know he got out of the box when the camera turned off.

Ven Dhammavuddho died from disease, but they showed his cremation and interesting gems that they retrieved from his ashes, which may or may not be natural to cremation, who knows.

semi-NSFW skeleton and ashes - Log into Facebook | Facebook

more Log into Facebook | Facebook

edit:

Śarīra is a generic term referring to Buddhist relics, although in common usage it usually refers to pearl or crystal-like bead-shaped objects that are purportedly found among the cremated ashes of Buddhist spiritual masters.

3 Likes