JK’s Pāli Class 2024 (G&K) Class 14 (by Stephen)

Thread for discussing JK’s Pāli Class 2024 (G&K) Class 14 by Stephen for the class on June 23rd / 24th 2024.
(Stephen will be the substitute teacher for the next few classes. There is a different Zoom address for them.)

Stephen Sas’s Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 845 813 2571

You will need to remain in the “waiting room” until host lets you in.

Homework preparation for this class:

1. Complete G&K Lesson V Further
  2. Have a look at Lesson VI grammar (some was covered by John in the last class.)
  3. Translate Lesson VI Initial

Note NEW ZOOM ADDRESS

6 Likes

Greetings students, I’m stepping in with some IT support to post these two documents for Stephen.(Stephen, I needed to convert them to pdf’s in order to post.)

G&K-5Further.pdf (38.3 KB)
G&K-6 Initial.pdf (253.5 KB)

With warm wishes,

Beth

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Students, if you would like the original MS Word doc for editing and adding your translation, send me a message.

3 Likes

Please refrain from posting your personal email addresses in public posts. If you want to share your email with someone, please us PM to them directly.
:pray:t5:
trusolo

3 Likes

Ah! I just figured out that you’re providing these in the event we’re not typing them out ourselves. Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I forced myself to type out the pāli in the previous Warder course…eventually I got accustomed to typing the diacritics using my left thumb for the “option” key on the mac (I’m right-handed). Highly recommend! Even if it means getting behind on the homework.

:pray:t3: :elephant: :pensive:

At the 3:50 mark in this recording by Frank, we can listen to a recitation of Lesson 5, Further Reading #4 (part of the famous SN 22.59).

It lasts about three minutes. (You can choose a slowed-down version, which still sounds fast for my untrained ear.)

Frank includes the full recitation without use of the peyyālaṃ so it’s a really sweet way to experience the rhythm of the teaching.

Also, you can listen to this recording by Frank for recitation of Lesson 6, Initial Reading #1 (Kp 2, even though our G&K exercise only lists the first five.

Enjoy!

:elephant: :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Reminder!
New zoom address! See above.
Stephen

Friends, I have realized what my error was in understanding ‘viññhūhi’

I mistakenly took it to be a -in noun, but it is (of course!) a masculine long ū.

So yes, in that group of nouns we have the instrumental plural ‘viññūhi. ‘

Thanks for your patience,
Stephen

PS I looked up the precepts in the 6th Council website (tipitaka.org) and saw that veramanī is hyphenated together with sikkhāpadam, and that the Sri Lankan and Thai versions have it as one word.

1. Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī-sikkhāpadaṃ [veramaṇīsikkhāpadaṃ (sī. syā.)] samādiyāmi.

So thanks again to Ayyā Sobhana for pointing out that it’s a compound.

3 Likes

I hope will someone re-post the link for the class recordings, I seem to have misfiled the Drive link for them
Our power went out at about 55 minutes in, so my departure was rather abrupt, my apologies. Many thanks to all who make this class work, online and off!

I recorded the meeting; however, I can’t find it. I logged into the meeting through Stephen’s cloud URL, not my desktop zoom app, so I’m not sure where the recording lives right now. I “stopped recording” and then signed out of the meeting.

Any ideas?

:pray:t3: :elephant:

Hi, I did record the meeting to my Zoom cloud as a back up.
Here is the link, if a password is required contact me directly.

Hopefully it was recorded by someone else.

Stephen, also I just reviewed Thanissaro Bhikkhu’s translation compared to Bhante Sujato’s:

to be realized by the wise for themselves (TB)
so that sensible people can know it for themselves (BS)

…which helps me understand how this works with the instrumental. Otherwise, I was a bit confused about how it would read.

Interestingly, as I try to take a crack at Dhammapāla’s Commentary on the Cariyā-Piṭaka (this will take me years :grimacing:), I notice that without understanding how to break up long compounds I don’t stand a chance :smile:.

:pray:t3: :elephant:

I would certainly work on sutta Pali and basic grammar for a few years before attempting to translate a commentary.

Commentarial Pali is much more complex.

2 Likes

I shall heed your advice! It was an attempt to see the pāli sitting behind Ven. Bodhi’s English translation of an abstraction of it (A Treatise on the Paramis by Acariya Dhammapala). It’s a relatively short book so I was hoping … but alas the original text by Dhammapāla is way over my elementary grammatical skills.

At some point I’d be interested in your approach to a sustained pāli study with other institutions, i.e., once this class ends. At my age, I’m not interested in sitting for exams but it feels like one has to be “in the know” to hook up with ongoing studies. Maybe that’s a thread for the Miscellaneous Pāli Course category.

1 Like

here’s how it looks when I am signed in to my zoom account -
under “account management” is a selection for “recording management”
you can search by date or by meeting ID to find the recording
im on a pc with right-click to bring up menu with “locate on drive” which will work for a local drive or for cloud .
hope this is useful
rachel

yes, requires passcode

Thanks, Rachel! I think the conundrum is that Stephen gave me admin privileges to record the meeting (which I did). But since I wasn’t accessing last night’s class through my desktop app, the recording likely associated with Stephen’s account. Well, Stephen seems to have it (with a password) :grin: So conundrum solved.

thanks for all the work you put into keeping the class flowing!

2 Likes