John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 15a

Hi everyone. I’m looking forward to continuing with the class over the coming weeks. My plan is to continue at least up until just before Christmas. Then, we’ll review and see where we are.

I know many of you in this discussion forum have talked about being ‘overwhelmed’ (or similar wording) with the amount of material that has been covered and is expected to be covered each week. And I totally agree, and especially so as Warder seems to be packing more into each lesson now. So we will now all take a deep breath and slow down a little and review several key grammar aspects that have been introduced in the last few lessons. [I can already hear some of you saying ‘Phew!’]

My plan for next week. Please do read all the lesson material in Warder Lesson 15, but don’t feel you need to do all the exercises. Just try and translate as best you can the Passage for Reading from this chapter. We will catch up with the rest of the exercises the following week.

I would like to also do a quick review of relative-correlative constructions (from Lesson 12), tappurisa compounds (from Lesson 13), and comparison with dvandva compounds (from Lesson 15), and finally a review of the optative (from Lesson 14). These are all very common elements in Pāli and must be understood by all to have any competence in Pāli translation.

I think all of that will keep us busy enough!

12 Likes