John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 15a

Thread for discussing chapter 15 of Warder for the class on November 7th.

Meeting ID: 829 5896 1475
Passcode: anicca

** Note the change of Zoom room. **

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Iā€™m looking forward to continuing with the class over the coming weeks. My plan is to continue at least up until just before Christmas. Then, weā€™ll review and see where we are.

I know many of you in this discussion forum have talked about being ā€˜overwhelmedā€™ (or similar wording) with the amount of material that has been covered and is expected to be covered each week. And I totally agree, and especially so as Warder seems to be packing more into each lesson now. So we will now all take a deep breath and slow down a little and review several key grammar aspects that have been introduced in the last few lessons. [I can already hear some of you saying ā€˜Phew!ā€™]

My plan for next week. Please do read all the lesson material in Warder Lesson 15, but donā€™t feel you need to do all the exercises. Just try and translate as best you can the Passage for Reading from this chapter. We will catch up with the rest of the exercises the following week.

I would like to also do a quick review of relative-correlative constructions (from Lesson 12), tappurisa compounds (from Lesson 13), and comparison with dvandva compounds (from Lesson 15), and finally a review of the optative (from Lesson 14). These are all very common elements in Pāli and must be understood by all to have any competence in Pāli translation.

I think all of that will keep us busy enough!

12 Likes

Phewā€¦ as you predictedā€¦

Then, ā€¦ :scream:

I wish you would do the review before we move on (subjunctive mood in English).

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: lesson 14

Sorry to see you go, Alison and Hugo, but I completely understand your dilemma. Iā€™m full of admiration that you have persisted this long staying up so late at night in the the land of the long white cloud! :pray:

2 Likes

Hello John,

So up until Christmas the class day and time will remain at Tuesday 9pm AEDT (Sydney time)?

Thank you so much for continuing these classes! :pray:t5:

1 Like

Yes, we will start the lesson with the review as indicated, Dheerayupa. But still a good idea for everyone to prepare with the material from Lesson 15.

5 Likes

I was planning to start from Lesson 1 to be ready for your review. Iā€™m not sure one week would be enough. :grin:

But thatā€™s ok. Iā€™ll try. :slight_smile:

Thank you. :pray:

1 Like

I was hoping for a week off dealing with new material too.

2 Likes

I should link my website again Pāli Course. I just added more (and you wonā€™t need to hard refresh anymore). Although the primary use is memorizing, it can be used to review parts of the recent lessons, but the earlier lessons (1-5) are completely fleshed out. Give feedback if you wish, I canā€™t totally tell how usable it is.

5 Likes

Question 1:
tassa evaį¹ƒ jānato evaį¹ƒ passato kāmāsavā pi cittaį¹ƒ vimuccati bhavāsavā pi cittaį¹ƒ vimuccati avijjāsavā pi cittaį¹ƒ vimuccati

My Answer: For one knowing and seeing thus, the mind is freed from the outflowing of sensual pleasure, the outflowing of becoming, and the outflowing of ignorance.

Ajahn Brahmali: When he is knowing thus (and) seeing thus, the mind is freed from the outflowing of sensual pleasure, the mind is freed from the outflowing of existence, and (pi) the mind is freed from the outflowing of ignorance.

I missed picking up that tassa evaį¹ jānato evaį¹ passato is a genitive absolute construction. I had tassa, jānato, & passato as m. singular dative. Is this OK too?

Question 2:
Not-memorizing that speech, I left.
My Answer: Nā€™ahaį¹ taį¹ bhāsitaį¹ uggaį¹‡hāmi, nikkhamiį¹

Ajahn Brahmali: taį¹ƒ vācam (or bhāsitam or vacanam) anuggaį¹‡hanto pakkāmiį¹ƒ.

If you were to translate my version back into english would it be: ā€œI do not learn that speech, I left?ā€

Question 3:
Why (is) this unexplained by the recluse Gotama?
My answer: Ko ayaį¹ abyākato samanena gotamena?
Ajahn Brahmali: kasmā idaį¹ƒ samanena Gotamena avyākataį¹ƒ?

In Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s answer kasmā is in the ablative, idaį¹ is in the nominative, and avyākataį¹ is in the accusativeā€¦ is that right? :thinking:

I seem to have issues getting the case of the participles correctā€¦

3 Likes

Q1.

I had tassa, jānato, & passato as m. singular dative. Is this OK too?

Yes

Q2.

If you were to translate my version back into english would it be: ā€œI do not learn that speech, I left?ā€

That would be a literal rendering, but Pāli doesnā€™t generally put two main verbs in the same sentence like this. The first would generally be put as an absolutive [Not having learned that speech ā€¦], or as a participle as the example requests.

Q3.
Kasmā, is literally ā€˜from whatā€™, more generally translated as ā€˜whyā€™. The ko in your solution means ā€˜whatā€™.
And idaį¹ƒ (neut) should be used instead of ayaį¹ƒ (masc) as you did, since the ā€˜thisā€™ in question is non-specific. Yes, it is nominative, and avyākataį¹ƒ is also nominative - neuter agreeing with idaį¹ƒ.

1 Like

Ok, going way back to Lesson 1 and @acala 's question about upasaį¹‡kamati versus upasaį¹ƒkamati. Bhante said:

Before the gutteral consonants (k, kh, g, gh), the nasal sound is spelled į¹…. In Romanized Pali we typically spell such conjuncts as į¹…k, į¹…g, and so on.

However the sound is exactly the same as į¹. It is technically possible to spell the same words į¹k, į¹g. Thus sometimes you might see saį¹gha instead of saį¹…gha.

Well, thankfully I revisited Lesson 1 for the q&a thread. I had previously spent, oh, about 20 minutes trying to solve this. The prompt was Lesson 14ā€™s reading passage with the verb conjugation upasaį¹ƒkamissāma. (Yes, Iā€™m working on Lesson 14ā€™s reading passage because I then need to work on Lesson 15ā€™s reading passage, which follows on Lesson 14ā€™s reading passage! :crazy_face:)

The dilemma was that I couldnā€™t find the present tense verb in the DPD using the spelling upasaį¹ƒkamati. This is how Warder spells it on page 11. And I had no luck with the PTS online dictionary either. I simply havenā€™t been studying long enough to recognize the į¹ƒ for į¹‡ (and vice versa).

OKā€¦so just to be clear: Warder spells it differently than the DPD. Make a note. However, the DPD spells the absolutive upasaį¹ƒkamitvā. I donā€™t understand why, based on Bhanteā€™s answer above. It seems like DPD is being inconsistent.

2 Likes

Good! Iā€™m planning to go through this passage during next Tuesdayā€™s class.

On the nasal consonant before g, gh, k, and kh issue, all I can say is that editors of romanised Pāli scripts have created a nightmare of inconsistency!
saį¹…gha is absolutely correct
saį¹‡gha is absolutely incorrect (please never write it this way)
sangha, saį¹ƒgha, saį¹gha are often used by editors and are okay but not really correct. Will explain in more detail on Tuesday as well.

3 Likes

Yes, DPD is inconsistent. Bhante had suggested that I could let DPD know and ask them to simply link both spellings, which I have done.

Also it is upasaį¹…kamati not upasaį¹‡kamati.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly same principle as I mentioned above with saį¹…gha, not saį¹‡gha.

Btw for anyone hasnā€™t figured out why itā€™s like that (I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen an explanation for this):

Say the word ā€œpuntā€ and take note of where your tongue is during the ā€˜nā€™. Now say the word ā€œsunkā€ and note there. For me at least, the contact of the tongue is at the teeth / dental in punt, and in the back / guttural for sunk. This is because t in punt is dental and k in sunk is guttural, and the physically closest nasal sound is used (Also, onion for Ʊ and maybe turn for į¹‡)

upasaį¹…kamati is like sunk, and the tongue is in the back, and we made that sound without thinking about it. So you donā€™t have to memorize what į¹ƒ matches to per word, just hum as you wish, naturally.

6 Likes

Why is candimasuriyā plural but Sāriputtamoggallānaį¹ƒ singular?? They didnā€™t have multiple moons back then, did they???

2 Likes

full moon, quarter moon, new moon, August moon, Vesak moon?

1 Like

Ahhh, thank you @johnk and @acala for the instruction. Iā€™m a bit embarrassed (but not too much!) that itā€™s not until Lesson 14-15 that Iā€™m getting the guttural į¹… (opt+k on the mac) and the cerebral į¹‡ straightened out. And this is due to the reading passages :heart_eyes:

2 Likes