John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 18

I’m not sure that I follow the above completely, but it doesn’t matter because John’s final word on the homework for next week is in the new lesson thread here.

2 Likes

Done! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Inspired by John, I went into this passage and translated it for myself. (Corroborated with Bhante’s translation on SuttaCentral.) Then, I compared it with Eknath Easwaran’s splendid translation in his book “The Dhammapada” which has been sitting on my shelf (basically unread) for years. For Dhp 277, here is E. Easwaran’s translation:

All created things are transitory;
those who realize this are freed from suffering.
This is the path that leads to pure wisdom.

Here in contrast with my translation:

All conditioned things are impermanent –
whenever one sees this with wisdom,
then she loses interest in sadness…
this is the perfected path.

To be clear, I took liberty with then she loses interest in…. The DPD does provide “lose interest in” as a possible translation for nibbindati. I took liberty with sadness for dukkhe. Although, for me as a meditation practitioner, this is a most direct meaning.

I chose John’s translation in class – conditioned things – for saṅkhārā because that helps me understand his explanation about Dhp. 279… @johnk that the Buddha wouldn’t say saṅkhārā is impermanent – only the unconditioned is impermanent. John, I am clearly out of my swimlane trying to describe this teaching you delivered in Tuesday’s class. But what I heard you say stuck with me in terms of understanding the use of dhamme in Dhp. 279. Please do correct me if I’m wrong :thinking:

Finally, the mistake I made in translating Dhp. 277 before checking with Bhante’s translation:
dukkhe = the locative here, which means nibbindati is not the form that calls for the ablative. Originally I had translated it as one gives up sadness where there is a nuanced difference in DPD between nibbindati + locative and nibbindati + ablative.

Thus not recognizing the locative. Granted, a bit of splitting hairs but it did help me understand Bhante’s translation (grows disillusioned with = nibbindati + locative). Also, I can now reflect on E. Easwaran’s translation to see how he took certain liberties. I shall make progress reading the whole Dhammapada in Pāli!

Well, all in a day’s translation! :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Bethl. Good work on delving into the meaning of these verses through the Pāli. If I’m reading what you wrote correctly, then you seem to have turned around what I did say and what the verses actually say.

When the first two verses say sabbe saṅkhāra aniccā and sabbe saṅkhāra dukkhā, the implication is that all things conditioned are impermanent and suffering, but saṅkhāra excludes nibbāna (which is unconditioned). And then the 3rd verse tells us that absolutely everything (sabbe dhammā), both conditioned and unconditioned, so even including nibbāna is anattā (not self).

Is that clearer now?

As to the 3rd line of each verse, yes, here dukkhe is locative singular and I would translate nibbindati as “becomes disenchanted”, pretty much the same as Bhante’s “grows disillusioned”.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed…this is very helpful and essential for me. Thank you. Wow…great teaching in these three Dhammapada verses. Aside from recognizing the locative singular of dukkhe :smiley:

This essay may be of interest in this context. The relevant Sutta mentioned here is AN 3.136.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Ayya @sabbamitta. That’s an excellent essay by Ven @sujato, and very helpful in our brief discussion of these profound Dhp verses.

3 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion on anattā & nibbana, and on selecting teaching texts

dibbaṁ kira me, tāta kumāra, cakkaratanaṁ osakkitaṁ ṭhānā cutaṁ

Ajahn Brahmali’s translation:
Now, dear prince, my heavenly wheel-gem has receded, has fallen from (its) place

Is kira translated as ‘now’?

I came up with: I have heard, my dear son, the divine wheel treasure has slipped down and fallen from its place.

DPD gives kira as an indeclinable with many meanings including I have heard.

Warder gives tāta as my son! So I thought the me emphasises the my-ness of his son. But it seems it goes with the wheel treasure - my divine wheel treasure?

2 Likes

Yes, ‘kira’ can have the sense of ‘now’. Also ‘truely’ or ‘you know…’.

The enclitic ‘me’ goes with dibbam cakkaratanam.

‘Tāta’ usually means ‘dear’ or ‘darling’.

3 Likes

How do we know this to be the case?
(Not challenging, simply puzzled. :thinking:)

1 Like

How do you know that it goes with dibbaṁ cakkarantaṁ though? How would it read it if went with kumāra?

:pray:t5:

Oh, sorry I didn’t see @Gillian had asked the same question!

1 Like

Well, tāta kumāra are vocatives, right? So the ‘dear boy/prince’ is being addressed. The vocatives, which in Pali can never begin a sentence, can be ‘taken out’ when making sense of the sentence. ‘me’ is not a vocative.

So the ‘my’ / ‘for me’ has to refer to the balance of the sentence, the divine wheel-gem described by the participles.

Also, remember in Pali that when a noun is described with adjectives, usually the first adj will precede the noun and the rest will follow.

5 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense now! :pray:t5:

2 Likes

& my thanks to @stephen also

btw, I translated the passage about the gamblers without referring to to the answer keys, and got into terrible knots assuming that all the swallowing was in some way metaphorical. Then I listened to the class recording, and I didn’t catch who it was had found out that ancient dice were actually nuts … so big thanks to them too. :pray:

… such a relief that Passage 2 turns out more straight forward :rofl:

4 Likes

I was wondering about the name Metteyya. Is it a comparative coming from the word metta? As in “the most loving one”

1 Like

Yes, it is the Pali version of Maitreya.

PED tells us:
Mettā (f.) [abstr. fr. mitra=mitta, cp. Vedic maitraŋ

2 Likes

Not exactly, if we follow this reasoning.

1 Like

Finally managed to translate Passage 2 (I did the whole passage, not just the first paragraph). Wow, it took a lot longer than I expected!

Warder Lesson 18 Passage 2

bhūtapubbaṃ rājā Daḷhanemi nāma ahosi cakkavatti dhammiko dhammarājā … atha kho rājā Daḷhanemi vassasahassānaṃ accayena aññataraṃ purisaṃ āmantesi. yadā tvaṃ ambho purisa passeyyāsi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutaṃ, atha me āroceyyāsī ti. evaṃ devā ti kho so puriso rañño Daḷhanemissa paccassosi. addasā kho so puriso vassasahassānaṃ accayena dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutaṃ. disvā yena rājā Daḷhanemi ten’ upasaṃkami, upasaṃkamitvā rājānaṃ Daḷhanemiṃ etad avoca. yagghe deva jāneyyāsi dibbaṃ te cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutan ti. atha kho rājā Daḷhanemi jeṭṭhaputtaṃ kumāraṃ āmantāpetvā etad avoca. dibbaṃ kira me tāta kumāra cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutaṃ. sutaṃ kho pana m’etaṃ, yassa rañño cakkavattissa dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ osakkati ṭhānā cavati, na dāni tena rañña ciraṃ jīvitabbaṃ hotī ti. bhuttā kho pana me mānusakā kāmā, samayo dibbe kāme pariyesituṃ. ehi tvaṃ tāta kumāra imaṃ paṭhaviṃ paṭipajja. ahaṃ pana kesamassuṃ, ohāretvā, kāsāyāni vatthāni acchādetvā, agārasmā anagāriyaṃ pabbajissāmi ti. atha kho rājā Daḷhanemi jeṭṭhaputtaṃ kumāraṃ sādhukaṃ rajje samanusāsitvā, kesamassuṃ ohāretvā kāsāyāni vatthāni acchādetvā, agārasmā anagāriyaṃ pabbaji. sattāhapabbajite kho pana rājisimhi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antaradhāyi. atha kho aññataro puriso yena rājā khattiyo ten’upasaṃkami, upasaṃkamitvā rājānaṃ khattiyaṃ etad avoca: yagghe deva jāneyyāsi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antarahitan ti.

atha kho rājā khattiyo dibbe cakkaratane antarahite anattamano ahosi. so yena rājisi ten’upasaṃkami, upasaṃkamitvā rājisiṃ etad avoca: yagghe deva jāneyyāsi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antarahitan ti. evaṃ vutte rājisi rājānaṃ khattiyaṃ etad avoca: mā kho tvaṃ tāta dibbe cakkaratane antarahite anattamano ahosi. na hi te tāta dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ pettikaṃ dāyajjaṃ. iṅgha tvaṃ tāta ariye cakkavattivatte vattāhi. ṭhānaṃ kho pan’etaṃ vijjati yan te dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ pātubhavissaJ ti. katamaṃ pan’etaṃ deva ariyaṃ cakkavattivattan ti. tena hi tvaṃ tāta dhammaṃ yeva nissāya dhammaṃ mānento dhammaṃ pūjento dhammikaṃ rakkhāvaraṇaguttiṃ saṃvidahassu khattiyesu anuyuttesu brāhmaṇagahapatikesu negamajānapadesu samaṇabrāhmaṇesu migapakkhīsu. mā ca te tāta vijite adhammakāro pavattittha. ye ca te tāta vijite adhanā assu, tesañ ca dhanaṃ anuppadeyyāsi. ye ca te tāta vijite samaṇabrahmaṇā madappamādā paṭiviratā, te kālena kālaṃ upasaṃkamitvā paripuccheyyāsi: kiṃ bhante kusalaṃ kiṃ akusalaṃ, kiṃ me kayiramānaṃ dīgharattaṃ ahitāya dukkhāya assa, kiṃ vā pana me kayiramānaṃ dīgharattaṃ hitāya sukhāya assa ti. tesaṃ sutvā yaṃ akusalaṃ taṃ abhinivajjeyyāsi, yaṃ kusalaṃ taṃ samādāya vatteyyāsi. idaṃ kho tāta taṃ ariyaṃ cakkavattivattan ti. evaṃ devā ti kho rājā khattiyo rājisissa paṭissutvā ariye cakkavattivatte vatti. tassa ariye cakkavattivatte vattamānassa dibbaṃ cakkarantanaṃ pāturahosi. disvā rañño khattiyassa etad ahosi: sutaṃ kho pana m’etaṃ: yassa rañño khattiyassa dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ pātubhavati, so hoti cakkavattī ti. assaṃ nu kho ahaṃ rājā cakkavattī ti.

atha kho taṃ cakkaratanaṃ puratthimaṃ disaṃ pavatti, anvad eva rājā cakkavatto saddhiṃ caturaṅginiyā senāya. yasmiṃ kho pana padese cakkaratanaṃ patiṭṭhāsi, tattha rājā cakkavatti vāsaṃ upagacchi saddhiṃ caturaṅginiyā senāya. ye kho pana puratthimāya disāya paṭirājāno, te rājānaṃ cakkavattiṃ upasaṃkamitvā evam āhaṃsu: ehi kho mahārāja, svāgataṃ te mahārāja, sakan te mahārāja, anusāsa mahārājā ti. rājā cakkavatti evam āha: pāno na hantabbo. adinnaṃ n’ādātabbaṃ. kāmesu micchā na caritabbā. musā na bhāsitabbā. majjaṃ na pātabbaṃ. yathābhuttañ ca bhuñjathā ti. ye kho pana puratthimāya disāya paṭirājāno, te rañño cakkavattissa anuyuttā ahesuṃ… dakkhiṇam disaṃ pavatti. pe. pacchimaṃ. pe. uttaraṃ. pe. ye kho pana uttarāya disāya paṭirājāno, te rañño cakkavattissa anuyuttā ahesuṃ.

bhūtapubbaṃ rājā Daḷhanemi nāma ahosi cakkavatti dhammiko dhammarājā …
:arrow_up_small:(bhūtapubbaṃ) :mens:①⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :arrow_up_small:(nāma) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(ahosi) :mens:①⨀(cakkavattī) :mens:①⨀(dhammika) :mens:①⨀(dhammarāja)
once upon a time / king / Daḷhanemi / named / was / wheel turning monarch / just / righteous
Once upon a time there was a king named Daḷhanemi who was a just and righteous wheel turning monarch …

atha kho rājā Daḷhanemi vassasahassānaṃ accayena aññataraṃ purisaṃ āmantesi.
:arrow_up_small:(atha kho) :mens:①⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :restroom:④⨂(vassasahassa) :mens:③⨀(accaya) :mens:②⨀(aññatara) :mens:②⨀(purisa) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(āmantesi)
after that / King Daḷhanemi / for a thousand years / after the passing of / a certain / person / addressed
After the passing of a thousand years, King Daḷhanemi addressed a certain man.

yadā tvaṃ ambho purisa passeyyāsi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutaṃ, atha me āroceyyāsī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(yadā) :metal:①⨀(tvaṃ) :arrow_up_small:(ambho) :mens:⓪⨀(purisa) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(passati) :mens:②⨀(dibba) :restroom:②⨀(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨀(osakkita) :restroom:⑤⨀(ṭhāna) :mens:②⨀(cuta) :arrow_up_small:(atha) :point_up_2:②⨀(ahaṃ) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(āroceti)
whenever / you / hey / person / should see / celestial / jewelled wheel / slipped down / from place / fallen / me / should inform
“Hey my man, whenever you should see a comet (celestial jewelled wheel) slipped down and falling from it’s place, you should inform me.”

evaṃ devā ti kho so puriso rañño Daḷhanemissa paccassosi.
:arrow_up_small:(evaṃ devā ti kho) :mens:①⨀(ta purisa) :mens:④⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(paccassosi)
yes / Lord / quote / indeed / that / man / for king Daḷhanemi /replied to
“Yes, Lord”, the man replied to king Daḷhanemi.

addasā kho so puriso vassasahassānaṃ accayena dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutaṃ.
:leftwards_arrow_with_hook::love_you_gesture:⨀(addasā) :arrow_up_small:(kho) :mens:①⨀(ta purisa) :restroom:④⨂(vassasahassa) :mens:③⨀(accaya) :mens:②⨀(dibba) :restroom:②⨀(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨀(osakkita) :restroom:⑤⨀(ṭhāna) :mens:②⨀(cuta)
saw / indeed / that / man / for a thousand years / after the passing of / celestial / jewelled wheel / slipped down / from place / fallen
After the passing of a thousand years, that man saw a comet slipped down and falling from it’s place.

disvā yena rājā Daḷhanemi ten’ upasaṃkami, upasaṃkamitvā rājānaṃ Daḷhanemiṃ etad avoca.
:arrow_up_small:(disvā) :mens:③⨀(ya) :mens:①⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :mens:③⨀(ta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(upasaṃkami) :arrow_up_small:(upasaṃkamitvā) :mens:②⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :restroom:②⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca)
having seen / by where / king Daḷhanemi / by there / approached / having approached / to king Daḷhanemi / this / said
Having seen, (the person) approached King Daḷhanemi, and having approached, said this.

yagghe deva jāneyyāsi dibbaṃ te cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutan ti.
:arrow_up_small:(yagghe) :mens:⓪⨀(deva) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(jānāti) :mens:②⨀(dibba) :metal:④⨀(tvaṃ) :restroom:②⨀(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨀(osakkita) :restroom:⑤⨀(ṭhāna) :mens:②⨀(cuta)
see now! / Lord / should know / celestial / there / jewelled wheel / slipped down / from place / fallen
“See now, Lord, you should know the comet has slipped down and falling from it’s place for you.”

atha kho rājā Daḷhanemi jeṭṭhaputtaṃ kumāraṃ āmantāpetvā etad avoca.
:arrow_up_small:(atha kho) :mens:①⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :mens:②⨀(jeṭṭhaputta) :mens:②⨀(kumāra) :arrow_up_small:(āmantāpetvā) :restroom:②⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca)
after that / King Daḷhanemi / first born / prince / having sent for / this / said
After that, King Daḷhanemi, having sent for his first born son, the prince, said.

dibbaṃ kira me tāta kumāra cakkaratanaṃ osakkitaṃ ṭhānā cutaṃ.
:mens:②⨀(dibba) :arrow_up_small:(kira) :point_up_2:⑥⨀(ahaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :mens:①⨂(ta) :restroom:②⨀(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨀(osakkita) :restroom:⑤⨀(ṭhāna) :mens:②⨀(cuta)
celestial / really / of my / son / jewelled wheel / slipped down / from place / fallen
“My son, the comet has slipped down and falling from it’s place.”

sutaṃ kho pana m’etaṃ, yassa rañño cakkavattissa dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ osakkati ṭhānā cavati, na dāni tena rañña ciraṃ jīvitabbaṃ hotī ti.
:restroom:①⨀(suta) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :point_up_2:⑥⨀(ahaṃ) :restroom:①⨀(eta) :mens:④⨀(ya) :mens:④⨀(rāja) :mens:④⨀(cakkavattī):mens:②⨀(dibba) :restroom:②⨀(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨀(osakkita) :restroom:⑤⨀(ṭhāna) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(cavati) :arrow_up_small:(na) :arrow_up_small:(dāni) :mens:③⨀(ta) :mens:⑤⨀(rāja) :mens:②⨀(cira) :mens:②⨀(jīvitabba) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(hoti) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
heard / however / by me / this , for whoever / for king / for wheel turning monarch / celestial / jewelled wheel / slipped down / from place / fall / no / now / by there / from king / long time / should be lived by / is / quote
But I have heard this, for whichever wheel turning monarch the comet slips down and fall from it’s place, then for that king there is now not long to live.

bhuttā kho pana me mānusakā kāmā, samayo dibbe kāme pariyesituṃ.
:mens:①⨂(bhutta) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :point_up_2:⑥⨀(ahaṃ) :mens:①⨂(mānusaka) :mens:①⨂(kāma) :mens:①⨀(samaya) :mens:②⨂(dibba) :mens:②⨂(kāma) :arrow_up_small:(pariyesituṃ)
enjoyed / however / by me / human / pleasures / time / heavenly / pleasures / to seek
But earthly pleasures have been enjoyed by me, it’s time to seek heavenly pleasures.

ehi tvaṃ tāta kumāra imaṃ paṭhaviṃ paṭipajja.
:mens:③⨂(ima) :metal:①⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :mens:⓪⨀(kumāra) :restroom:①⨀(ima) :womens:②⨀(paṭhavī) :stop_button::metal:⨀(paṭipajjati)
from this / you / son / prince / this / world / follow a path
From now, my son the prince, may you follow a path in this world

ahaṃ pana kesamassuṃ, ohāretvā, kāsāyāni vatthāni acchādetvā, agārasmā anagāriyaṃ pabbajissāmi ti.
:point_up_2:①⨀(ahaṃ) :arrow_up_small:(pana) :restroom:②⨀(kesamassu) :arrow_up_small:(ohāretvā) :restroom:②⨂(kāsāya) :restroom:②⨂(vattha) :arrow_up_small:(acchādetvā) :restroom:⑤⨀(agāra) :womens:②⨀(anagāriyā) :next_track_button::point_up_2:⨀(pabbajati)
I / however / hair and beard / haviong shaved off , ochre / robe / having put on , from household life / to homeless state / I will renounce
I, however, having shaved off hair and beard, having put on ochre robe, will renounce from household life to homeless state.

atha kho rājā Daḷhanemi jeṭṭhaputtaṃ kumāraṃ sādhukaṃ rajje samanusāsitvā, kesamassuṃ ohāretvā kāsāyāni vatthāni acchādetvā, agārasmā anagāriyaṃ pabbaji.
:arrow_up_small:(atha kho) :mens:①⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :mens:②⨀(jeṭṭhaputta) :mens:②⨀(kumāra) :arrow_up_small:(sādhukaṃ) :restroom:⑦⨀(rajja) :arrow_up_small:(samanusāsitvā) :restroom:②⨀(kesamassu) :arrow_up_small:(ohāretvā) :restroom:②⨂(kāsāya) :restroom:②⨂(vattha) :arrow_up_small:(acchādetvā) :restroom:⑤⨀(agāra) :womens:②⨀(anagāriyā) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pabbaji)
after that / King Daḷhanemi / first born / prince / carefully / on kingship / having thoroughly instructed / hair and beard / having shaved off , ochre / robe / having put on , from household life / to homeless state / renounced
After that King Daḷhanemi, having thoroughly and carefully instructed his eldest prince, having shaved off hair and beard, having put on ochre robe, renounced from household life to homeless state.

sattāhapabbajite kho pana rājisimhi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antaradhāyi.
:mens:⑦⨀(sattāhapabbajita) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :mens:⑦⨀(rājisi) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(antaradhāyi)
on renounced for a week / indeed / however / on kingly sage / celestial / jewelled wheel / disappeared
However, after the kingly sage had renounced for a week, the comet disappeared.

atha kho aññataro puriso yena rājā khattiyo ten’upasaṃkami, upasaṃkamitvā rājānaṃ khattiyaṃ etad avoca: yagghe deva jāneyyāsi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antarahitan ti.
:arrow_up_small:(atha kho) :mens:①⨀(aññatara) :mens:①⨀(purisa) :mens:③⨀(ya) :mens:①⨀(rāja khattiyo) :mens:③⨀(ta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(upasaṃkami) , :arrow_up_small:(upasaṃkamitvā) :mens:②⨀(rāja Daḷhanemi) :restroom:②⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca) : :arrow_up_small:(yagghe) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(jānāti) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :restroom:①⨀(antarahita)
after that / a certain / person / by where / king / noble / by there / approached , having approached / king / noble / this /said : come on! / you should know / celestial / jewelled wheel / disappeared
After that a certain person approached the noble king, and having approached the noble king, said this: “See now, Lord, you should know the comet has disappeared.”

atha kho rājā khattiyo dibbe cakkaratane antarahite anattamano ahosi.
:arrow_up_small:(atha kho) :mens:①⨀(rāja khattiya) :mens:②⨂(dibba) :restroom:②⨂(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨂(antarahita) :mens:①⨀(anattamana) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(ahosi)
After that / king / noble / celestial / jewelled wheel / disappeared / displeased / was
After that the noble king was distressed that the comet has disappeared.

so yena rājisi ten’upasaṃkami, upasaṃkamitvā rājisiṃ etad avoca: yagghe deva jāneyyāsi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antarahitan ti.
:mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:③⨀(ya) :mens:①⨀(rājisi) :mens:③⨀(ta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(upasaṃkami) :mens:②⨀(rājisi) :restroom:②⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca) : :arrow_up_small:(yagghe) :mens:⓪⨀(deva) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(jānāti) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :restroom:①⨀(antarahita) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
He / by where / kingly sage / by there / having approached / kingly sage / this / said : see now / Lord / you should know / quote
Having approached the kingly sage, he said this to the kingly sage: “See now, o Lord, you should know the comet has disappeared.”

evaṃ vutte rājisi rājānaṃ khattiyaṃ etad avoca: mā kho tvaṃ tāta dibbe cakkaratane antarahite anattamano ahosi.
:arrow_up_small:(evaṃ) :mens:②⨂(vutta) :mens:①⨀(rājisi) :mens:②⨀(rāja khattiya) :restroom:②⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca) : :arrow_up_small:(mā kho) :metal:①⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :mens:②⨂(dibba) :restroom:②⨂(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨂(antarahita) :mens:①⨀(anattamana) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(ahosi)
Thus / spoken to / kingly sage / king / noble / this / said : don’t / indeed / son / celestial / jewelled wheel / disappeared / distressed / was
Thus spoken to, the kingly sage said to the noble king: “My son, don’t be distressed the comet has disappeared.”

na hi te tāta dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ pettikaṃ dāyajjaṃ.
:arrow_up_small:(na hi) :metal:②⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :mens:②⨀(pettika) :restroom:②⨀(dāyajja)
certainly not / to you / son / celestial / jewelled wheel / paternal / inherits
“My son, the comet is certainly not a paternal inheritance for you.”

iṅgha tvaṃ tāta ariye cakkavattivatte vattāhi.
:arrow_up_small:(iṅgha) :metal:①⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :mens:②⨂(ariya) :restroom:②⨂(cakkavattivatta) :stop_button::metal:⨀(vattati)
here / you / son / noble / duty / wield
“Here, my son, you must continue exercising your noble duties”

ṭhānaṃ kho pan’etaṃ vijjati yan te dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ pātubhavissatī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(ṭhānaṃ kho pan’etaṃ) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(vijjati) :arrow_up_small:(yan) :metal:②⨀(tvaṃ) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :next_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pātubhavati) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
it is possible / indeed / and this / is found / celestial / jewelled wheel / will appear
“And thus it is possible that the comet will appear to you.”

katamaṃ pan’etaṃ deva ariyaṃ cakkavattivattan ti.
:restroom:①⨀(katama) :arrow_up_small:(pan’etaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(deva) :restroom:①⨀(ariya) :restroom:①⨀(cakkavattivatta) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
what / and this / Lord / noble / duty / quote
“And what of this noble duty?”

tena hi tvaṃ tāta dhammaṃ yeva nissāya dhammaṃ mānento dhammaṃ pūjento dhammikaṃ rakkhāvaraṇaguttiṃ saṃvidahassu khattiyesu anuyuttesu brāhmaṇagahapatikesu negamajānapadesu samaṇabrāhmaṇesu migapakkhīsu.
:arrow_up_small:(tenahi) :metal:①⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :mens:②⨀(dhamma) :arrow_up_small:(yeva) :arrow_up_small:(nissāya) :mens:②⨀(dhamma) :mens:①⨀(mānenta) :mens:②⨀(dhamma) :mens:①⨀(pūjenta) :restroom:①⨀(dhammika) :womens:②⨀(rakkhāvaraṇagutti) :large_blue_circle::stop_button::metal:⨀(saṃvidahati) :mens:⑦⨂(khattiya) :mens:⑦⨂(anuyutta) :mens:⑦⨂(brāhmaṇagahapatikā) :mens:⑦⨂(negamajānapada) :mens:⑦⨂(samaṇabrāhmaṇa) :mens:⑦⨂(migapakkhī)
well then / you / son / law / only / supporting / law / honouring / law / worshipping / justly / protection / organise / ruling caste / vassal / brahmins and householders / town and country people / ascetics and brahmans / beasts and birds
“Well then, my son, only by you supporting, honouring and worshipping the law, and you must organise the safety and security of vassal warriors, brahmins and householders, town and country people, religious practitioners, beasts and birds.”

mā ca te tāta vijite adhammakāro pavattittha.
:arrow_up_small:(mā ca) :metal:②⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :restroom:⑦⨀(vijita) :mens:①⨀(adhammakāra) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pavatti)
dont / and / to you / son / in kingdom / injustice / gave rise to
“And, my son, don’t give rise to injustice in the kingdom.”

ye ca te tāta vijite adhanā assu, tesañ ca dhanaṃ anuppadeyyāsi.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :restroom:⑦⨀(vijita) :mens:①⨂(adhana) :play_or_pause_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(assa) :arrow_up_small:(tesañca) :restroom:②⨀(dhana) anuppadeyyāsi
whoever / and / that / son / in kingdom / poor, destitute / should be / and of them / money / give
“And whoever, my son, that may be poor and destitute in the kingdom, to them you should give money.”

ye ca te tāta vijite samaṇabrāhmaṇā madappamādā paṭiviratā, te kālena kālaṃ upasaṃkamitvā paripuccheyyāsi: kiṃ bhante kusalaṃ kiṃ akusalaṃ, kiṃ me kayiramānaṃ dīgharattaṃ ahitāya dukkhāya assa, kiṃ vā pana me kayiramānaṃ dīgharattaṃ hitāya sukhāya assa ti.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :restroom:⑦⨀(vijita) :mens:①⨂(samaṇabrāhmaṇa) :mens:①⨂(madappamāda) :mens:①⨂(paṭivirata) :mens:①⨂(ta) :arrow_up_small:(kālena kālaṃ) :arrow_up_small:(upasaṃkamitvā) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(paripucchati) : :restroom:①⨀(ka) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :restroom:①⨀(kusala) :restroom:①⨀(ka) :restroom:①⨀(akusala) :restroom:①⨀(ka) :point_up_2:③⨀(ahaṃ) :restroom:①⨀(kayiramāna) :restroom:①⨀(dīgharatta) :womens:⑥⨀(ahita) :womens:⑥⨀(dukkha) :mens:⑥⨀(ima) :point_up_2:③⨀(ahaṃ) :restroom:①⨀(kayiramāna) :restroom:①⨀(dīgharatta) :womens:⑥⨀(hita) :womens:⑥⨀(sukha) :mens:⑥⨀(ima) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
whoever / and / that / son / religious practitioners / intoxication and heedlessness / abstained from / they / from time to time / having approached / you should ask about : what / venerable sir / skilful / what / unskilful / what / by me / being done / for a long time / of harm / of unpleasant / of this, what / or however / by me / being done / for a long time / of beneficial / of pleasant / of this / quote
And, my son, having approached, from time to time, whichever religious practioners that have abstained from intoxication and heedlessness, you should ask them about: “What, Venerable Sir, is skilful? What is unskilful? What have been done by me for a long time that is harmful and unpleasant? Or moreover what have been done by me for a long time that is beneficial and pleasant?”

tesaṃ sutvā yaṃ akusalaṃ taṃ abhinivajjeyyāsi, yaṃ kusalaṃ taṃ samādāya vatteyyāsi.
:mens:⑥⨂(ta) :arrow_up_small:(sutvā) :restroom:①⨀(ya) :restroom:①⨀(akusala) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(abhinivajjeti) :restroom:①⨀(ya) :restroom:①⨀(kusala) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :arrow_up_small:(samādāya) :play_or_pause_button::metal:⨀(vattati)
of that / having heard / whatever / unskilful / that / will be removed / whatever / skilful / that / will be taken up / will be practiced/continued
“Having heard that (response), you should remove anything unskilful and continue or take up anything skilful.”

idaṃ kho tāta taṃ ariyaṃ cakkavattivattan ti.
:arrow_up_small:(idaṃ kho) :mens:⓪⨀(tāta) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :restroom:①⨀(ariya) :restroom:①⨀(cakkavattivatta) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
here / indeed / my son / that / noble / duty
“Here, my son, that is the noble duty.”

evaṃ devā ti kho rājā khattiyo rājisissa paṭissutvā ariye cakkavattivatte vatti.
:arrow_up_small:(evaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(deva) :arrow_up_small:(ti kho) :mens:①⨀(rāja) :mens:①⨀(khattiya) :mens:⑥⨀(rājisi) :arrow_up_small:(paṭissutvā) :mens:②⨂(ariya) :restroom:②⨂(cakkavattivatta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(vatti)
yes, that is right / Lord / quote / indeed / king / of kingly sage / having agreed / noble / duty / took place
“Yes, that is indeed right, my Lord”, the noble king, having agreed with the kingly sage, undertook the noble duty.

tassa ariye cakkavattivatte vattamānassa dibbaṃ cakkarantanaṃ pāturahosi.
:mens:⑥⨀(ta) ②⨂(ariya) :restroom:②⨂(cakkavattivatta) :mens:⑥⨀(vattamāna) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pāturahosi)
while / noble / duty / taking place / celestial / jewelled wheel / manifested
While (the noble king) was performing the noble duty, the comet manifested.

disvā rañño khattiyassa etad ahosi: sutaṃ kho pana m’etaṃ: yassa rañño khattiyassa dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ pātubhavati, so hoti cakkavattī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(disvā) :mens:⑥⨀(rāja) :mens:⑥⨀(khattiya) :restroom:①⨀(eta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(ahosi) : :mens:②⨀(suta) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :point_up_2:③⨀(ahaṃ) :restroom:①⨀(eta) : :mens:④⨀(ya) :mens:④⨀(rāja) :mens:④⨀(khattiya) :restroom:①⨀(dibba) :restroom: ①⨀(cakkaratana) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(pātubhavati) :mens:①⨀(ta) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(hoti) :mens:①⨀(cakkavattī)
having seen / of king / of noble / this / was: for whichever / for king / for noble / celestial / jewelled wheel / manifests , he / becomes / wheel turning monarch
Having seen, the noble king thought: “And so thus have I heard: ‘For whichever noble king the comet manifests, he becomes the wheel turning monarch.’”

assaṃ nu kho ahaṃ rājā cakkavattī ti.
:womens:⑦⨀(ima) :arrow_up_small:(nu kho) :point_up_2:①⨀(ahaṃ) :mens:①⨀(rāja) :mens:①⨀(cakkavattī) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
at this / ? / indeed / I / king / wheel turning monarch
“At this point, am I indeed the wheel turning monarch?”

atha kho taṃ cakkaratanaṃ puratthimaṃ disaṃ pavatti, anvad eva rājā cakkavattī saddhiṃ caturaṅginiyā senāya.
:arrow_up_small:(atha kho) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :womens:②⨀(puratthima) :womens:②⨀(disā) :womens:①⨀(pavatti) :arrow_up_small:(anvadeva) :mens:①⨀(rāja) :mens:①⨀(cakkavattī) :arrow_up_small:(saddhiṃ) :womens:③⨀(caturaṅgī) :womens:③⨀(sena)
after that / that / jewelled wheel / Eastern / direction / manifests / following behind / king / wheel turning monarch / together with / an army of four divisions, elephants, chariots and infantry / by army
After that, the comet manifests in the Eastern direction, following behind the wheel turning monarch together with an an army of four divisions, elephants, chariots and infantry.

yasmiṃ kho pana padese cakkaratanaṃ patiṭṭhāsi, tattha rājā cakkavatti vāsaṃ upagacchi saddhiṃ caturaṅginiyā senāya.
:mens:⑦⨀(ya) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :mens:⑦⨀(padesa) :restroom:①⨀(cakkaratana) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(patiṭṭhāsi) :arrow_up_small:(tattha) :mens:①⨀(rāja) :mens:①⨀(cakkavattī) :mens:②⨀(vāsa) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(upagacchi) :arrow_up_small:(saddhiṃ) :womens:③⨀(caturaṅgī) :womens:③⨀(sena)
at whatever / and next / at place / jewelled wheel / planted itself / in that place / king / wheel turning monach / residence / went towards / together with / an army of four divisions, elephants, chariots and infantry / by army
And next, at whatever place the comet planted itself, in that place the wheel turning king went towards and took residence, together with an army of four divisions, elephants, chariots and infantry.

ye kho pana puratthimāya disāya paṭirājāno, te rājānaṃ cakkavattiṃ upasaṃkamitvā evam āhaṃsu: ehi kho mahārāja, svāgataṃ te mahārāja, sakan te mahārāja, anusāsa mahārājā ti.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :womens:⑤⨀(puratthima) :womens:⑤⨀(disā) :mens:①⨂(paṭirāja) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:②⨀(rāja) :mens:②⨀(cakkavattī) :arrow_up_small:(upasaṃkamitvā) :arrow_up_small:(evaṃ) :arrows_counterclockwise::love_you_gesture:⨂(āha) : :stop_button::metal:⨀(eti) :arrow_up_small:(kho) :mens:⓪⨀(mahārāja) :restroom:①⨀(svāgata) :metal:④⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(mahārāja) :restroom:①⨀(saka) :metal:④⨀(tvaṃ) :mens:⓪⨀(mahārāja) :stop_button::metal:⨀(anusāsati) :mens:⓪⨀(mahārāja) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
whichever / and next / Eastern / direction / other kings / wheel turning monarch / having approached / they said : may you come / indeed / o great king / welcome / for you / o great king / my own / for you / o great king / may you advise / o great king / quote
And next, whichever other kings, having approached the wheel turning monarch from the Eastern direction, they said this: May you come, O Mahārāja, welcome to you, my own for you, may you advise (us).”

rājā cakkavatti evam āha: pāṇo na hantabbo.
:mens:①⨀(rāja) :mens:①⨀(cakkavattī) :arrow_up_small:(evaṃ) :arrows_counterclockwise::love_you_gesture:⨀(āha) :mens:①⨀(pāṇa) :arrow_up_small:(na) :mens:①⨀(hantabba)
king / wheel turning / he said / living beings / should be killed
The wheel turning monarch said: “Living beings should not be killed.”

adinnaṃ n’ādātabbaṃ.
:restroom:①⨀(adinna) :arrow_up_small:(na) :restroom:①⨀(ādātabba)
something which is not given / no / should be taken
“Something which is not given, should not be taken.”

kāmesu micchā na caritabbā.
:mens:⑦⨂(kāma) :arrow_up_small:(micchā) :arrow_up_small:(na) :mens:①⨂(caritabba)
In sensual pleasures / wrongly / no / could be lived
“You should not be living in sensual pleasures.”

musā na bhāsitabbā.
:arrow_up_small:(musā) :arrow_up_small:(na) :mens:①⨂(bhāsitabba)
falsehood / no / should be spoken
“Falsehoods should not be spoken.”

majjaṃ na pātabbaṃ.
:restroom:①⨀(majja) :arrow_up_small:(na) :restroom:①⨀(pātabba)
intoxicants / no / should be drunk
“Intoxicants should not be drunk.”

yathābhuttañ ca bhuñjathā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(yathābhuttaṃ ca) :stop_button::metal:⨂(bhuñjati)
eating the amount currently eaten / and / you must eat
“And you must eat in moderation.”

ye kho pana puratthimāya disāya paṭirājāno, te rañño cakkavattissa anuyuttā ahesuṃ… dakkhiṇaṃ disaṃ pavatti.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :womens:⑤⨀(puratthima) :womens:⑤⨀(disā) :mens:①⨂(paṭirāja) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:⑥⨀(rāja) :mens:⑥⨀(cakkavattī) :mens:①⨂(anuyutta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(ahosi) … :womens:②⨀(dakkhiṇa) :womens:②⨀(disā) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pavatti)
whoever / and next / from Eastern / from direction / other kings / they / for king / for wheel turning / vassals / became / to south / to direction / moved
And next, whichever other kings from Eastern direction became vassals of the wheel turning monarch … (the comet) moved to Southern direction.

pe. pacchimaṃ. pe. uttaraṃ. pe.
:arrow_up_small:(pe) :womens:②⨀(pacchima) :arrow_up_small:(pe) :womens:②⨀(uttara) :arrow_up_small:(pe)
etc. / Western / etc. / Northern / etc.
Etc. for Western and Northern directions …

ye kho pana uttarāya disāya paṭirājāno, te rañño cakkavattissa anuyuttā ahesuṃ.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :womens:⑤⨀(uttara) :womens:⑤⨀(disā) :mens:①⨂(paṭirāja) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:⑥⨀(rāja) :mens:⑥⨀(cakkavattī) :mens:①⨂(anuyutta) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(ahosi)
whoever / and next / from Northern / from direction / other kings / they / for king / for wheel turning / vassals / became
And next, whichever other kings from Northern direction became vassals of the wheel turning monarch.

2 Likes

Please:

In Reading Passage #2,

sattāha-pabbajite kho pana rāj-isimhi dibbaṃ cakkaratanaṃ antaradhāyi

I can’t find reference to this past participle in DPD or PED (uchicago.edu). Obviously it means “disappeared” but what is its declension form? It seems to function as a nominative here. But not spelled like it.
I’m particularly interested as antarahitan in the preceding sentence also appears as a past participle but in the accusative?
So I’m a bit confused about antaradhāyi vs antarahitan
Thanks