John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 16a

Ven @Vimutti, here Warder is referring to something called the future active participle - but, as he says, it is hardly ever used. So you can safely ignore that.

2 Likes

@stephen when I look up udapādi in the DPD, it shows this is an aorist. See screenshot. Is it something else? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Going down the rabbit hole yet again, she remembered a most perplexing grammatical question ā€“ this to avoid doing an actual Lesson 16 exercise.

1 Like

Yes, it certainly is. The aorist of uppajjati.

Uppajjati [ud + pajjati of pad ] to come out, to arise, to be produced, to be born or reborn, to come into existence

Happy Thanksgiving !

3 Likes

@johnk No expert has responded here. My guess would be that itā€™s the same sort of lexical/stylistic variation that Bethā€™s translations show in English?

When you find an expert @Gillian, please let me know! :rofl:

I donā€™t think there is very much difference between using locative to express time or using instrumental, other than stylistic, as you and @BethL state. But, Iā€™ll look into it some more and let you all know if I find anything.

Note too, that the accusative is often used adverbially in many situations, and also with time.

Ekaį¹ƒ samayaį¹ƒ Bhagavā Sāvatthiyaį¹ƒ viharati ā€¦
At one time the Blessed One was living at SāvatthÄ« ā€¦

3 Likes

In answer to this question about the different cases used for time raised here about 3 weeks ago, I was able to discuss it with Bhikkhu Bodhi and he sent me the following response:

I donā€™t think the different cases for time have a difference in meaning, but there is a different in usage. The accusative usually opens a sutta or a passage. To indicate something occurring at the time previously referred to, the instrumental is used. And the locative, I think, is used when setting up a relative-demonstrative relationship, ā€œon which occasion / on that occasion.ā€

Hopes this helps clarify this issue.

4 Likes