John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 16b

Luis, you asked about pajjitabba in last night’s class. The word doesn’t actually exist in Pāli, nor does it’s base verb pajjati, but only in prefixed form āpajjati, uppajjati, upapajjati, upasampajjati, nipajjati, and perhaps others. Very poor presentation by Warder on p.105! No wonder it was confusing.

āpajjitabba - to be acquired, produced
uppajjitabba - to be arisen
upapajjitabba - to be reborn
upasampajjitabba - to be entered into
nipajjitabba - to be lying down

4 Likes

I just read Ajahn Brahmāli’s answer key footnote which talks to the difficulty of this construction. John K’s raw translation my / and / pig-food leading to his readable translation food for my pigs is lost on me without some intuition. I.e., knowing that I must insert mamañ-ca into the middle of the tappurisa compound (in my head) for this to read properly in English. The first time around – for class – I thought it read my pig food and I did it again today. At least today it took much less time to connect the dots. Have to think I won’t forget it now.

2 Likes

Beth, I would say that my pig food is actually a more accurate literal translation than the freer food for my pigs that I chose in my answer key.

4 Likes

Yes, they are called karmadhāraya in Sanskrit.

Most if not all Pāli grammatical terminology is based on the Sanskritic form of the same terminology (but not necessarily limited to names used in the Pāṇinian tradition). So if we see the terms given on this page – https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Grammar/Grammatical-Terms.htm – most if not all of them are identical to their Sanskrit forms.

For example,
Skt. upasarga = Pāli upasagga
Skt. karma-vacana = Pāli kammavacana
Skt. karaṇa-vacana = Pāli karaṇavacana
Skt. apādāna-vacana = Pāli apādānavacana
Skt. sambandha = Pāli sambandha
Skt. ādhāra / adhikaraṇa = Pāli ādhāra
Skt. karmadhāraya = Pāli kammadhāraya
Skt. dvigu = Pāli digu
Skt. tatpuruṣa = Pāli tappurisa
Skt. dvitīyā-tatpuruṣa = Pāli dutiyātappurisa
Skt. tṛtīyā-tatpuruṣa = Pāli tatiyātappurisa
Skt. caturthī-tatpuruṣa = Pāli catutthītappurisa
Skt. pañcamī-tatpuruṣa = Pāli pañcamītappurisa
Skt. ṣaṣṭhī-tatpuruṣa = Pāli chaṭṭhītappurisa
Skt. saptamī-tatpuruṣa = Pāli sattamītappurisa
Skt. aluk-samāsa = Pāli aluttasamāsa
Skt. upapada-tatpuruṣa = Pāli upapadatappurisa
Skt. dvandva = Pāli dvanda
Skt. samāhāra = Pāli samāhāra
Skt. a-samāhāra (iteretara) = Pāli asamāhāra (itaritara)
Skt. vikalpa-samāhāra = Pāli vikappasamāhāra
Skt. avyayībhāva = Pāli avyayībhāva
Skt. bahuvrīhi = Pāli bahubbīhi
Skt. sāmānya-taddhita = Pāli sāmaññataddhita
Skt. apatya-artha = Pāli appaccattha
Skt. aneka-artha = Pāli anekattha
Skt. asty-artha = Pāli atthyattha
Skt. saṅkhyā = Pāli saṅkhyā
Skt. kṛtya = Pāli kicca
Skt. kṛt = Pāli kita
Skt. karaṇa-sādhana = Pāli karaṇasādhana
Skt. kartṛ-sādhana = Pāli kattusādhana
Skt. bhāva-sādhana = Pāli bhāvasādhana
Skt. akarmaka = Pāli akammaka
Skt. akṣara = Pāli akkhara
Skt. aghoṣa = Pāli aghosa

3 Likes

Please, what is the 3p sing. pr. for āhaṃsu below? Is it ahāsi? If so, how does it mean the verb in English to say?

…so uggharantaṃ paggharantaṃ yāva agganakhā gūthena makkhito gūthabhāraṃ ādāya agamāsi.
tam enaṃ manussā disvā evam āhaṃsu: kacci no tvaṃ bhaṇe ummatto, acci veceto…

1 Like

because manussā is plural, they’ve used the verb āhaṃsu in plural. The singular would be āha

1 Like

My understanding is that āha, āhu, and āhaṃsu are examples of a rarely used perfect tense in Pāli, and there is no corresponding present indicative. The perfect tense can signify immediate past tense, but can also have a present tense meaning, depending on context. The 3rd person sg. is āha , and both āhu, and āhaṃsu are 3rd person pl.

See the PED entry for more information.

3 Likes