John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 18

I created my own version of the DPD (I accessed the underlying database, and reformatted the contents to suit my needs. In particular, it spits out the grammatical analysis in accordance to my Pali textbook).

According to it,

Hi, I hope these entries from PED help:

Antaradhāna Antaradhāna (nt.) [fr. antaradhāyati] disappearance A i.58 (saddhammassa); ii.147; iii.176 sq.; Miln 133; Dhs 645, 738, 871. Cp. Ėšdhāyana.

Antaradhāyati Antaradhāyati [antara + dhāyati] to disappear Sn 449 (Ėšdhāyatha 3rdsg. med.); Vv 8128 (id.); J i.119 = DhA i.248; DhA iv.191 (ppr. Ėšdhāyamāna & aor. dhāyi) PvA 152, 217, (Ėšdhāyi), 245; VvA 48. ā€” ppr. antarahita (q. v.).

2 Likes

Yes, they do. So the pure nasal į¹ƒ goes to the dental nasala n before ti ā€¦ in this case, changing the spelling of the past participle accusative antarahitaį¹ƒ to antarahitan. And it effectively functions as a present-perfect because this is conversational here. Whereas the use of the aorist in the previous sentence is to be expected.

I guess this is why Warder calls this ā€œIntroduction to Paliā€ because these are such basic concepts (and yet they still elude me without constant review :flushed: ).

Actually when I circled back around today I did get the aorist antaradhāyi to show up in DPD. To find it in PED (uchicago.edu) I would have had to known the search term antarahita somehow. 'Tis a conundrum ā€“ learning to use the PED in other search engines ā€“ but a happy one.

Merrily merrily rounds the barkā€¦

Thanks, Stephen :smiley:

1 Like

You are welcome.
I italicized and bolded the aorist form of antaradhāyati in the PED entry when I pasted it above for you.

If you are referring to the nasal shifting before the end quote marker ā€˜tiā€™, yes that is normal.
Also, vowels are lengthened before it.

3 Likes

I see Warder on pg. 124 gives the root kaį¹‡ for the comparative khudda; however, I cannot locate a verb with the root kaį¹‡ that means, in Warderā€™s words, [to] decrease. Nor can I fathom one (not that that means anything :upside_down_face:).

Thanks

My understanding is that it comes from Skt kį¹£udra.

1 Like