John Kelly Pali course 2023: Warder lesson 19a

Thread for discussing chapter 19 of Warder for the class on December 19h.

Meeting ID: 829 5896 1475
Passcode: anicca

Homework for this class:

1. Learn the new grammar in Warder lesson 19 (pp.134-138);

2. Read through and familiarise yourselves with the extensive new vocabulary in lesson 19 (pp.138-145). [Obviously, no need to try and learn it all - this is why we have great online dictionary tools now available!]

3. Complete 1st paragraph of Lesson 18, Passage for Reading #2 (pp.130-131). (Discussion of this exercise in the Lesson 18 thread please.)

4. Complete 1st paragraph of Lesson 19, Passage for Reading #1 (p.145).

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: John Kelly Pali course 2023: lesson 18

With regard to (Warder p145)

kuhiṃ gamissasī ti amukaṃ nāma janapadan ti.

Ajahn @brahmali’s key (p22 footnote 3) says amukaṃ is genitive. But I can’t think why it’s not accusative. :thinking:

Hi Gillian! I think you are in the wrong place in the Pali. This is the Pali:

Ayaṃ bho puriso neva amhākaṃ mitto, na ñātisālohito

And my rendering:

(But) sirs, this man is not even (eva) a friend, relative, or blood-relation of ours

Amhākaṃ (“ours”) is genitive. Are you able to match it up?

3 Likes

Apologies Bhante, I see now that I got the lines scrambled: geriatric mind at work here! Thank you for your support. :pray:

1 Like

I fell in love with this sentence:

dvīhatīhapayāto kho pana so sattho addasā purisaṃ 1 kāḷaṃ 2 lohitakkhaṃ 3 apanaddhakalāpaṃ 4 kumudamālaṃ 5 allavatthaṃ 6 allakesaṃ 7 kaddamamakkhītehi 8 cakkehi 9 gadrabharathena 10 paṭipathaṃ 11 āgacchantaṃ 12.

probably because of all the compounds contained in what Warder calls the patient of addasā (saw) … and compared it with what is on SC

Dvīhatīhapayāto kho pana so sattho addasa purisaṁ 1 kāḷaṁ 2 lohitakkhaṁ 3 sannaddhakalāpaṁ 4 kumudamāliṁ 5 allavatthaṁ 6 allakesaṁ 7 kaddamamakkhitehi 8 cakkeh 9 bhadrena rathena 10 paṭipathaṁ 11 āgacchantaṁ 12.

Warder hasn’t edited it for our benefit, but there are two alternative Pali phrases (SC uses the Burmese Mahāsaṅgīti edition (1990-2004), and Warder, working in the 1950s would have had access to a Pali Text Society edition from Sri Lanka). The differences are not substantive:

W apanaddhakalāpaṃ 4 (DPD adj “with quiver tied behind”/
SC sannaddhakalāpaṁ 4 (DPD adj “armed with a quiver of arrows.” (The later version seem more informative.)

W gadrabharathena 10 (DPD Masc “donkey” & Masc “carriage”/
SC bhadrena rathena 10 (DPD Masc “fortunate man,” Nt “good fortune” & Masc “donkey.” (The earlier version makes better sense according DPD, but I didn’t search other dictionaries.)

Available translations of the sentence:

Kelly: After two or three days journey, he saw coming 12 in the opposite direction 11 a red-eyed 3, black 2 man 1, with a quiver attached 4, a garland of white water-lilies 5, wet clothes 6 and hair 7, and a donkey cart 10 with mud-spattered 8 wheels 9.
Brahmali: That caravan, which was two or three days set out, saw a man 1 who was black 2, who had red eyes 3, who had a quiver tied behind 4, who had a garland of white water lilies 5, who had wet clothes 6, who had wet hair 7, coming 12 in the opposite direction 11 with a donkey cart 10 which had wheels 9 smeared with mud 8.
Sujato: After two-or-three days’ journey he saw a dark 2 man 1 with red eyes 3 coming 12 the other way 11 in a donkey cart 10 with muddy 8 wheels 9. He was armored with a quiver 4 and wreathed with yellow lotus 5, his clothes 6 and hair 7 all wet 6/7.

Ordering of elements in the translations:

Kelly: 12 - 11 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 10 - 8 - 9
Brahmali 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 12 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 8
Sujato - 2 - 1 - 3 - 12 - 11 - 10 - 8 - 9 - 4 - 5 - 6/7

Parsing of the elements and comparison of the translations:

Comments:

1. I apologise for the screenshot, but my html is rudimentary.

2. Purisaṃ is ACCsg because it is the patient/object of addasā (saw, AOR3sg).

3. Items 2,3,4,5,6,7, 12 are also accusative, to agree with purisaṃ 1; ie they describe the man, or in grammatical terminology qualify the noun purisaṃ.

4. Item 11 is also ACCsg, but I am not certain if this is merely to agree with āgacchantaṃ and thus with purisaṃ. There could be a further rule applying here?

5. Items 8,9,10 are all instrumental and therefore connectected with each other: “by a donkey cart with mud-smeared wheels,” (the wheels not the whole cart are muddy because kaddamamakkhītehi is plural like cakkehi.) This translates into an English as a prepositional phrase, which describes not the man, but his way of coming, āgacchantaṃ 12. It would be said grammatically to modify this verbal form), which - in its turn - qualifies the man.

6. My analysis suggests this grammatical tree.

7. Translators have to choose among strategies. Hence the difference between Brahmali’s and Sujato’s rendering, with the first wanting to show students the nature of the Pali (which Kelly does with his gloss) and the second wanting to give readers just what feels natural in English.

8. English can use a number of grammatical strategies to describe a noun (a red-eyed man, a man with red eyes, a man who had red eyes, this man had red eyes, the man’s eyes were red etc) and skilled writers go for variety, but not too much variety, and also decide where to place things in the sentence to get the best emphasis. To read the Pali we just need to understand
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.46.19 pm

9. No one will have read this far, but thanks for indulging me!

10. Finally, back to the compounds: I had a lot of trouble with Warder’s account of bahubbīhi compounds (p137) because I thought that all the compound types were nouns, and could be distinguished by their internal structure. Now I find that this is true of tappisura, dvanda, and kammadhāraya compouns only, and that bahubbīhi compounds become adjectival once formed … I thought I was going to ask a question at this point, but studying @Brahmali’s footnotes in the context of the sentence has set me straight.

11. I would be fulminating at this point, except I know of Australian languages where the difference between nouns and adjectives is extremely tenuous and some say doesn’t exist at all.

12. How to spend a whole afternoon and evening on a single sentence!!! (It’s been fun tho.)

Oh yes, and here is my own translation of the sentence:

After travelling two or three days, it [the caravan] saw a man 1 in a muddy-wheeled 8/9 cart pulled by a donkey 10 and coming 12 from the other direction 11. He bore a quiver of arrows 4 and a garland of Nymphaea; 5 his clothes and hair were wet 6/7. He was dark-skinned 2, and his eyes were bloodshot 3.
1 - 8/9 - 10 - 12 - 11 - 4 - 5 - 6/7 - 2 - 3

8 Likes

:star_struck: :hugs:

3 Likes

Well done, Gillian!

1. Item 11 is also ACCsg, but I am not certain if this is merely to agree with āgacchantaṃ and thus with purisaṃ. There could be a further rule applying here?

This accusative is different. It is the accusative of a noun/adjective being used as an adverb. Thus it qualifies the verb āgacchantam, not the noun purisaṃ.

No one will have read this far, but thanks for indulging me!

Some of us did! :rofl:

the difference between nouns and adjectives is extremely tenuous and some say doesn’t exist at all.

This is true in Pāli, as well. In Pāli grammars nouns, adjectives, pronouns, and pronominal adjectives all come under the category nāma.

2 Likes

Thanks for the analysis, @Gillian - having just attemped the translation myself, I appreciate the effort you have taken.

2 Likes

Thank you. My structure tree reflects the correct position already, and your parse makes a lot more sense. I now see that I mislabelled Item 11 as a noun in apposition because I misread Brahmali’s footnotes for a second time. He was referring to my item 9 (not 11).

Yes, I don’t think that the 19th Century grammarians did a great deal trying to make the W European labels stick.

2 Likes

I read the whole thing and enjoyed it thoroughly! :heart:

1 Like

Managed to translate Lesson 19 Passage 1 just in time for class. This didn’t take as long as I feared it might, because there is a lot of repetition.

I noticed some minor discrepancies between paragraphs 1 and 3 in the respective aligned sentences - for example kho instead of bho, and slightly different ordering of words. I suspect these are editing errors rather than true differences, but I translated as they are written just in case.

I liked the moral of this story, which is don’t accept other people’s advice blindly, which I’ve found applies to theological opinions as well.

Warder Lesson 19

Passage 1

te taṃ satthaṃ dvidhā vibhajiṃsu ekato pañca sakatasatāni ekato pañca sakaṭasatāni. eko tāva satthavāho bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca āropetvā satthaṃ payāpesi. dvīhatīhapāyāto kho pana so sattho addasā purisaṃ kalaṃ lohitakkhiṃ apanaddhakalāpaṃ kumudamālaṃ allavatthaṃ allakesaṃ kaddamamakkhitehi cakkehi gadrabharathena patipathaṃ āgacchantaṃ. disvā etad avoca : kuto bho āgacchasī ti. amukamhā janapadā ti. kuhiṃ gamissasī ti. amukaṃ nāma janapadan ti. kacci bho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo ti. evam kho bho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhāñ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇani katthāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti.

atha kho so satthavāho satthike āmantesi : ayaṃ bho puriso evam āha : purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca katthañ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi satthaṃ pāyāpethā ti. evam bho ti kho te satthikā tassa satthavāhassa paṭissutvā, chaḍḍetvā purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni lahubhārehi sakaṭehi satthaṃ pāyāpesuṃ. te paṭhame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, dutiye pi satthavāse … tatiye pi satthavāse … catutthe pi satthavāse … pañcame pi satthavāse … chaṭṭhe pi satthavāse … sattame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, sabbe va anayavyasanaṃ āpajjiṃsu. ye ca tasmiṃ satthe ahesuṃ manussā vā pasū vā sabbe so yakkho amanusso bhakkhesi, aṭṭhikān’ eva sesesi.

yadā aññāsi dutiyo satthavāho : bahunikkhanto kho dāni so sattho ti, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca āropetvā satthaṃ pāyāpesi. dvīhatīhapāyāto kho pan’ eso sattho addasā purisaṃ kālaṃ lohitakkhiṃ apanaddhakalāpaṃ kumudamālaṃ allavatthaṃ allakesaṃ kaddamamamkkhitehi cakkehi gadrabharathena patipathaṃ āgacchantaṃ. disvā etad avoca : kuto bho āgacchasī ti. amukamhā janapadā ri. kuhiṃ gamissasī ti. amukaṃ nāma janapadan ti. kacci kho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo ti. evam bho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purānāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhani udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti.

atha kho so satthavāho satthike āmantesi : ayaṃ bho puriso evam āha : purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni bahuṃ tiṇāñ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti. ayaṃ kho bho puriso n’ ev’ amhākaṃ mitto na pi ñātisālohito, kathaṃ mayaṃ imassa saddhāya gamissāma. na kho chaḍḍetabbāni purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, yathākatena bhaṇḍena satthaṃ pāyāpetha, na vo purāṇaṃ chaḍḍessāmā ti. evaṃ bho ti kho te satthikā tassa satthavāhassa paṭissutvā yathākatena bhaṇḍena satthaṃ pāyāpesuṃ. te paṭhame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, dutiye pi satthavāse … tatiye pi satthavāse … catutthe pi satthavāse … pañcame pi satthavāse … chaṭṭhe pi satthavāse … sattame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, tañ ca satthaṃ addasaṃsu anayavyasanaṃ apannaṃ. ye va tasmiṃ satthe ahesuṃ manussā vā pasū vā, tesañ ca atthikān’ eva addasaṃsu tena yakkhena amanussena bhakkhitānaṃ.

atha kho so satthavāho satthike āmantesi : ayaṃ kho bho so sattho anayavyasanaṃ āpanno yathā taṃ tena bālena satthavāhena pariṇāyakena. tena hi bho yān’ asmākaṃ satthe appasārāni paṇiyāni*, tāni chaḍḍetvā, yāni imasmiṃ satthe mahāsārāni paṇiyāni tāni ādiyathā ti. evaṃ bho ti kho te satthikā tassa satthavāhassa paṭissutvā yāni sakasmiṃ satthe appasārāni paṇiyāni tāni chaḍḍetvā, yāni tasmiṃ satthe mahāsārāni paṇiyāni tāni ādiyitvā, sotthinā taṃ kantāraṃ nitthariṃsu yathā taṃ paṇḍitena satthavāhena pariṇāyakena.*

te taṃ satthaṃ dvidhā vibhajiṃsu ekato pañca sakatasatāni ekato pañca sakaṭasatāni.
:mens:①⨂(ta) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :arrow_up_small:(dvidhā) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(vibhaji) :mens:⑤⨀(eka) :transgender_symbol:①⨂(pañca) :restroom:②⨂(sakaṭasata)
they | that | caravan | in two pieces | divided | from a single | five / one hundred carts
They divided that caravan into two pieces each with 500 carts.

eko tāva satthavāho bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca āropetvā satthaṃ payāpesi.
:mens:①⨀(eka) :arrow_up_small:(tāva) :mens:①⨀(satthavāha) :mens:②⨀(bahu) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :arrow_up_small:(āropetvā) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :arrow_forward::metal:⨀(payāpeti)
one | first | caravan leader | a lot of | straw | and | water | and | having loaded up | caravan | began the journey
First, one caravan leader, having loaded up the caravan with lots of straw and water, began the journey.

dvīhatīhapayāto kho pana so sattho addasā purisaṃ kalaṃ lohitakkhiṃ apanaddhakalāpaṃ kumudamālaṃ allavatthaṃ allakesaṃ kaddamamakkhitehi cakkehi gadrabharathena patipathaṃ āgacchantaṃ.
:mens:①⨀(dvīhatīhapayāta) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:①⨀(sattha) :leftwards_arrow_with_hook::love_you_gesture:⨀(addasā) :mens:②⨀(purisa) :mens:②⨀(kala) :womens:②⨀(lohitakkhi) :mens:②⨀(apanaddhakalāpa) :mens:②⨀(allakesa) :womens:②⨀(kumudamālā) :mens:②⨀(allavattha) :mens:③⨂(kaddamamakkhita) :restroom:⑤⨂(cakka) :mens:③⨀(gadrabharatha) :mens:②⨀(patipatha) :mens:②⨀(āgacchanta)
travelled for 2 or 3 days | and next | that | caravan | saw | person | black | with red eyes | with quiver tied behind; (or "with the hair-knot untied) | white water lily garland | with wet clothes | with wet hair | with mud splattered | with wheels | donkey coach | opposite road | approaching
And next, after travelling for 2 or 3 days, that caravan encountered a dark person with red eyes, quiver tied behind, wet clothes and hair, in a donkey coach with mud splattered wheels approaching from the other direction of the road.

disvā etad avoca : kuto bho āgacchasī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(disvā) :restroom:①⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca) :arrow_up_small:(kuto) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_forward::metal:⨀(āgacchati) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
having seen | this | said : from where | sir | come along | quote
Having seen, this was said: “Sir, where have you come from?”

amukamhā janapadā ti.
:mens:⑤⨀(amuka) :mens:①⨂(janapada) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
from such and such | country | quote
“From such and such country.”

kuhiṃ gamissasī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(kuhiṃ) :next_track_button::metal:⨀(gamissati) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
where? | you will go | quote
“Where will you go?”

amukaṃ nāma janapadan ti.
:restroom:①⨀(amuka) :arrow_up_small:(nāma) :mens:②⨀(janapada) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
such and such | named | country | quote
“To such and such named country.”

kacci bho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo ti.
:arrow_up_small:(kacci) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(purato) :mens:②⨂(kantāra) :mens:①⨀(mahāmegha) :arrow_up_small:(abhippavaṭṭa) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
I suspect | sir | in front of | desert | a great downpour | rained upon | quote
“I suspect, sir, a great downpour rained in the desert in front of us.”

evam kho bho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhāñ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇani katthāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(evam) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(purato) :mens:②⨂(kantāra) :mens:①⨀(mahāmegha) :arrow_up_small:(abhippavaṭṭa) , :restroom:①⨂(āsittodaka) :restroom:①⨂(vaṭuma) :mens:②⨀(bahu) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(ca) , :stop_button::metal:⨂(chaḍḍeti) :arrow_up_small:(bho) :restroom:②⨂(purāṇa) :restroom:②⨂(tiṇa kattha udaka) :mens:③⨂(lahubhāra) :restroom:③⨂(sakaṭa) :restroom:①⨀(sīgha sīgha) :stop_button::metal:⨂(gacchati) :arrow_up_small:(mā) :restroom:②⨂(yogga) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(kilameti)
thus | sir | in front of | desert | a great downpour | rained upon , waterlogged | path | a lot of | straw | and | water | and , you must throw away | sir | stale | grass | wood | water | with a light load | with cart | quickly | move | do not | vehicle | exhaust
“That’s right, sir, a great downpour rained in desert in front of you, the path is waterlogged, there are lots of straw and water, sir, you must throw away stale grass, wood and water, with a lightly loaded cart you must move quickly, don’t wear down the vehicle.”

atha kho so satthavāho satthike āmantesi : ayaṃ bho puriso evam āha : purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca katthañ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi satthaṃ pāyāpethā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(atha bho) :mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:①⨀(satthavāha) :mens:②⨂(satthika) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(āmantesi) : :mens:①⨀(ima) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :mens:②⨀(purisa) :arrow_up_small:(evaṃ) :arrows_counterclockwise::love_you_gesture:⨀(āha) … :arrow_up_small:(bho) :restroom:②⨂(purāṇa) :restroom:②⨂(tiṇa kattha udaka) , :mens:③⨂(lahubhāra) :restroom:③⨂(sakaṭa) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :large_blue_circle::play_or_pause_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(payāpeti) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
after that | that | caravan leader | wagon driver | discussed : this | sir | person | thus | said : (as above) | sir | you must throw away | stale | grass | wood | water | with a light load | with cart | caravan | cause to set out | quote
After that, that caravan leader discussed with the wagon driver: “This person said thus: ‘a great downpour rained in desert in front of us, the path is waterlogged, there are lots of straw and water, sir, you must throw away stale grass, wood and water, with a lightly loaded cart you must move quickly, don’t wear down the vehicle.’ Sir, you must throw away stale grass, wood and water, with a lightly loaded cart, you will cause the caravan to set out”

evam bho ti kho te satthikā tassa satthavāhassa paṭissutvā, chaḍḍetvā purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni lahubhārehi sakaṭehi satthaṃ pāyāpesuṃ.
:arrow_up_small:(evam) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(ti kho) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:①⨂(satthika) :mens:④⨀(satthavāha) :arrow_up_small:(paṭissutvā) , :arrow_up_small:(chaḍḍetvā) :restroom:②⨂(purāṇa) :restroom:②⨂(tiṇa kattha udaka) :mens:③⨂(lahubhāra) :restroom:③⨂(sakaṭa) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pāyāpesi)
thus | sir | quote | indeed | they | wagon driver | (for) caravan leader | having agreed with , having thrown away stale | grass | wood | water | with a light load | with cart | caravan | caused to set out
“Yes, sir.” The wagon driver, having agreed with the caravan leader, they threw away stale grass, wood and water, and with a lightly loaded cart, (the wagon driver) caused the caravan to set out.

te paṭhame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, dutiye pi satthavāse … tatiye pi satthavāse … catutthe pi satthavāse … pañcame pi satthavāse … chaṭṭhe pi satthavāse … sattame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, sabbe va anayavyasanaṃ āpajjiṃsu.
:mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:②⨂(paṭhama) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(addasa) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(kaṭṭha) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(vā) , :mens:②⨂(dutiya) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(tatiya) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(catuttha) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(pañcama) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(chaṭṭha) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:①⨀(sattama) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) :arrow_up_small:(na) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(addasa) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(kaṭṭha) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(vā) , :mens:①⨂(sabba) :arrow_up_small:(va) :restroom:①⨀(anaya vyasana) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(āpajji)
they | first | also | at caravan campsite | no | saw | grass | or | wood | or | water , second campsite … third … fourth … fifth … sixth … seventh … | all | as | calamity and misfortune | suffered
They did not see grass, wood, or water at the first caravan campsite, or second, or third, or fourth, of fifth, or sixth, or seventh … as all suffered calamity and misfortune.

ye ca tasmiṃ satthe ahesuṃ manussā vā pasū vā sabbe so yakkho amanusso bhakkhesi, aṭṭhikān’ eva sesesi.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :mens:⑦⨀(ta) :mens:⑦⨀(sattha) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(ahosi) :mens:①⨂(manussa) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :mens:①⨂(pasu) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :mens:①⨂(sabba) :mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:①⨀(yakkha) :mens:①⨀(amanussa) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(aññāsi) (bhakkheti) :restroom:④⨂(aṭṭhika) :arrow_up_small:(eva) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(seseti)
whoever | and | at that | caravan | was | human beings | or | livestock | or | all | that | supernatural | demon | you feed on , of bones | only | leaves over
And whoever were in that caravan, human beings or livestock, that supernatural demon fed on all, leaving only bones.

yadā aññāsi dutiyo satthavāho : bahunikkhanto kho dāni so sattho ti, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca āropetvā satthaṃ pāyāpesi.
:arrow_up_small:(yadā) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(aññāsi) :mens:①⨀(dutiya) :mens:①⨀(satthavāha) :mens:①⨀(bahunikkhanta) :arrow_up_small:(kho) :arrow_up_small:(dāni) :mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:①⨀(sattha) :arrow_up_small:(ti) :mens:②⨀(bahu) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :arrow_up_small:(āropetvā) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pāyāpesi)
when | knew | second | caravan leader : on the road for a long time | indeed | now | that | caravan | quote | a lot of | straw | and | water | having loaded |
When the second caravan leader thought: “That caravan has been on the road for a long time now,” having loaded a lot of straw and water, (he) caused the caravan to set out.

dvīhatīhapāyāto kho pan’ eso sattho addasā purisaṃ kālaṃ lohitakkhiṃ apanaddhakalāpaṃ kumudamālaṃ allavatthaṃ allakesaṃ kaddamamamkkhitehi cakkehi gadrabharathena patipathaṃ āgacchantaṃ.
:mens:①⨀(dvīhatīhapayāta) :arrow_up_small:(kho pana) :mens:①⨀(eta) :mens:①⨀(sattha) :leftwards_arrow_with_hook::love_you_gesture:⨀(addasā) :mens:②⨀(purisa) :mens:②⨀(kala) :womens:②⨀(lohitakkhi) :mens:②⨀(apanaddhakalāpa) :womens:②⨀(kumudamālā) :mens:②⨀(allavattha) :mens:②⨀(allakesa) :mens:③⨂(kaddamamakkhita) :restroom:⑤⨂(cakka) :mens:③⨀(gadrabharatha) :mens:②⨀(patipatha) :mens:②⨀(āgacchanta)
travelled for 2 or 3 days | and next | this | caravan | saw | person | black | with red eyes | white water lily garland | with wet clothes | with wet hair | with quiver tied behind | with mud splattered | with wheels | donkey coach | opposite road | approaching
And next, after travelling for 2 or 3 days, this caravan encountered a dark person with red eyes, wet clothes and hair, quiver tied behind, in a donkey coach with mud splattered wheels approaching from the other direction of the road.

disvā etad avoca : kuto bho āgacchasī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(disvā) :restroom:①⨀(eta) :large_blue_circle::previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(avoca) :arrow_up_small:(kuto) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_forward::metal:⨀(āgacchati) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
having seen | this | said : from where | sir | come along | quote
Having seen, this was said: “Sir, where have you come from?”

amukamhā janapadā ti.
:mens:⑤⨀(amuka) :mens:①⨂(janapada) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
from such and such | country | quote
“From such and such country.”

kuhiṃ gamissasī ti.
:arrow_up_small:(kuhiṃ) :next_track_button::metal:⨀(gamissati) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
where? | you will go | quote
“Where will you go?”

amukaṃ nāma janapadan ti.
:restroom:①⨀(amuka) :arrow_up_small:(nāma) :mens:②⨀(janapada) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
such and such | named | country | quote
“To such and such named country.”

kacci kho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo ti.
:arrow_up_small:(kacci kho) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(purato) :mens:②⨂(kantāra) :mens:①⨀(mahāmegha) :arrow_up_small:(abhippavaṭṭa) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
I suspect | indeed | in front of | desert | a great downpour | rained upon | quote
“I suspect a great downpour rained in desert in front of us.”

evam bho purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni, bahuṃ tiṇañ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purānāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhani udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(evam) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(purato) :mens:②⨂(kantāra) :mens:①⨀(mahāmegha) :arrow_up_small:(abhippavaṭṭa) , :restroom:①⨂(āsittodaka) :restroom:①⨂(vaṭuma) :mens:②⨀(bahu) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(ca) , :stop_button::metal:⨂(chaḍḍeti) :arrow_up_small:(bho) :restroom:②⨂(purāṇa) :restroom:②⨂(tiṇa kattha udaka) :mens:③⨂(lahubhāra) :restroom:③⨂(sakaṭa) :restroom:①⨀(sīgha sīgha) :stop_button::metal:⨂(gacchati) :arrow_up_small:(mā) :restroom:②⨂(yogga) :arrow_forward::love_you_gesture:⨀(kilameti)
thus | sir | in front of | desert | a great downpour | rained upon , waterlogged | path | a lot of | straw | and | water | and , you must throw away | sir | stale | grass | wood | water | with a light load | with cart | quickly | move | do not | vehicle | exhaust
“That’s right, sir, a great downpour rained in desert in front of us, the path is waterlogged, there are lots of straw and water, sir, you must throw away stale grass, wood and water, with a lightly loaded cart you must move quickly, don’t wear down the vehicle.”

atha kho so satthavāho satthike āmantesi : ayaṃ bho puriso evam āha : purato kantāre mahāmegho abhippavaṭṭo, āsittodakāni vaṭumāni bahuṃ tiṇāñ ca kaṭṭhañ ca udakañ ca, chaḍḍetha bho purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, lahubhārehi sakaṭehi sīghaṃ sīghaṃ gacchatha, mā yoggāni kilamethā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(atha bho) :mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:①⨀(satthavāha) :mens:②⨂(satthika) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(āmantesi) : :mens:①⨀(ima) :arrow_up_small:(bho) :mens:②⨀(purisa) :arrow_up_small:(evaṃ) :arrows_counterclockwise::love_you_gesture:⨀(āha) … :arrow_up_small:(bho) :restroom:②⨂(purāṇa) :restroom:②⨂(tiṇa kattha udaka) , :mens:③⨂(lahubhāra) :restroom:③⨂(sakaṭa) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :large_blue_circle::play_or_pause_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(payāpeti) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
after that | that | caravan leader | wagon driver | discussed : this | sir | person | thus | said : (as for first caravan above)
After that, that caravan leader discussed with the wagon driver: “This person said thus: ‘a great downpour rained in desert in front of us, the path is waterlogged, there are lots of straw and water, sir, you must throw away stale grass, wood and water, with a lightly loaded cart you must move quickly, don’t wear down the vehicle.’”

ayaṃ kho bho puriso n’ ev’ amhākaṃ mitto na pi ñātisālohito, kathaṃ mayaṃ imassa saddhāya gamissāma.
:mens:①⨀(ima) :arrow_up_small:(kho) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(na eva) :point_up_2:⑥⨂(ahaṃ) :mens:①⨀(mitta) :arrow_up_small:(na pi) :mens:①⨀(ñātisālohita) , :arrow_up_small:(kathaṃ) :point_up_2:①⨂(ahaṃ) :mens:⑥⨀(ima) :womens:③⨀(saddhā) :next_track_button::point_up_2:⨂(gamissati)
this | indeed | sir | person | not | even | of us | friend | not | also | family and blood relative , how? | we | of this | with trust | will go
“Indeed, sir, this person is not even a friend of us, and also not family or blood relative, how can we go with trust?”

na kho chaḍḍetabbāni purāṇāni tiṇāni kaṭṭhāni udakāni, yathākatena bhaṇḍena satthaṃ pāyāpetha, na vo purāṇaṃ chaḍḍessāmā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(na kho) :restroom:①⨂(chaḍḍetabba) :restroom:②⨂(purāṇa) :restroom:②⨂(tiṇa kattha udaka) :mens:③⨂(lahubhāra) :arrow_up_small:(yathā) :mens:③⨀(kata) :restroom:③⨀(bhaṇḍa) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :large_blue_circle::play_or_pause_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(payāpeti) :arrow_up_small:(na vo) :mens:②⨀(purāṇa) :next_track_button::point_up_2:⨂(chaḍḍeti) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
no | indeed | should be abandoned | stale | grass | wood | water | as per complete | with goods | caravan | causes to set out | not | truly | old | will throw
“Indeed, the stale grass, wood and water should not be abandoned, the caravan causes to set out with complete contents, we will surely not throw away the old”

evaṃ bho ti kho te satthikā tassa satthavāhassa paṭissutvā yathākatena bhaṇḍena satthaṃ pāyāpesuṃ.
:arrow_up_small:(evam) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(ti kho) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:①⨂(satthika) :mens:④⨀(satthavāha) :arrow_up_small:(paṭissutvā) , :arrow_up_small:(yathā) :mens:③⨀(kata) :restroom:③⨀(bhaṇḍa) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(pāyāpesi)
thus | sir | quote | indeed | they | wagon driver | (for) caravan leader | having agreed with , as per original | with contents | caravan | caused to set out
“Yes, sir.” The wagon driver, having agreed with the caravan leader, caused to set out with complete contents.

te paṭhame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, dutiye pi satthavāse … tatiye pi satthavāse … catutthe pi satthavāse … pañcame pi satthavāse … chaṭṭhe pi satthavāse … sattame pi satthavāse na addasaṃsu tiṇaṃ vā kaṭṭhaṃ vā udakaṃ vā, tañ ca satthaṃ addasaṃsu anayavyasanaṃ āpannaṃ.
:mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:②⨂(paṭhama) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) :arrow_up_small:(na) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(addasa) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(kaṭṭha) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(vā) , :mens:②⨂(dutiya) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(tatiya) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(catuttha) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(pañcama) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:②⨂(chaṭṭha) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) … :mens:①⨀(sattama) :arrow_up_small:(pi) :mens:⑦⨀(satthavāsa) :arrow_up_small:(na) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(addasa) :restroom:②⨀(tiṇa) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(kaṭṭha) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :restroom:②⨀(udaka) :arrow_up_small:(vā) , :restroom:①⨀(ta) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :mens:②⨀(sattha) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(addasa) :restroom:①⨀(anaya vyasana) :restroom:①⨀(āpanna)
they | first | also | at caravan campsite | no | saw | grass | or | wood | or | water , second campsite … third … fourth … fifth … sixth … seventh … that | and | caravan | saw | calamity and misfortune | fallen into
They did not see grass, wood, or water at the first caravan campsite, or second, or third, or fourth, of fifth, or sixth, or seventh … and they saw that caravan that had fallen into calamity and misfortune.

ye va tasmiṃ satthe ahesuṃ manussā vā pasū vā, tesañ ca atthikān’ eva addasaṃsu tena yakkhena amanussena bhakkhitānaṃ.
:mens:①⨂(ya) :arrow_up_small:(va) :mens:⑦⨀(ta) :mens:⑦⨀(sattha) :mens:①⨂(manussa) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :mens:①⨂(pasu) :arrow_up_small:(vā) :mens:④⨂(ta) :arrow_up_small:(ca) :restroom:④⨂(aṭṭhika) :arrow_up_small:(eva) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(addasa) :arrow_up_small:(tena) :mens:①⨀(yakkha) :mens:①⨀(amanussa) :mens:⑥⨂(bhakkhita)
whoever | like | at that | at caravan | human beings | or | livestock | or | for those | and | of bones | only | saw | there | supernatural | demon | fed upon
And whoever were in that caravan, human beings or livestock, and for those they only saw bones that the supernatural demon has fed upon.

atha kho so satthavāho satthike āmantesi : ayaṃ kho bho so sattho anayavyasanaṃ āpanno yathā taṃ tena bālena satthavāhena pariṇāyakena.
:arrow_up_small:(atha bho) :mens:①⨀(ta) :mens:①⨀(satthavāha) :mens:②⨂(satthika) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨀(āmantesi) : :mens:①⨀(ima) :arrow_up_small:(kho) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :mens:①⨀(sattha) :restroom:①⨀(anaya vyasana) :mens:①⨀(āpanna) :arrow_up_small:(yathā) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :mens:③⨀(ta) :mens:③⨀(bāla) :mens:③⨀(satthavāha) :mens:③⨀(pariṇāyaka)
after that | that | caravan leader | wagon driver | discussed : that | indeed | sir | caravan | calamity and misfortune | had fallen into | in whatever way | that by that | foolish | caravan leader | by leader
After that, that caravan leader discussed with the wagon driver: “That caravan indeed, sir, had fallen into calamity and misfortune in whatever way by that foolish caravan leader.”

tena hi bho yān’ asmākaṃ satthe appasārāni paṇiyāni, tāni chaḍḍetvā, yāni imasmiṃ satthe mahāsārāni paṇiyāni tāni ādiyathā ti.
:arrow_up_small:(tena hi) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :restroom:①⨂(ya)) :point_up_2:④⨂(ahaṃ) :mens:⑦⨀(sattha) :restroom:②⨂(appasāra) :restroom:②⨂(paṇiya) , :restroom:①⨂(ta) :arrow_up_small:(chaḍḍetvā) :restroom:①⨂(ya)) :point_up_2:④⨂(ahaṃ) :mens:⑦⨀(sattha):restroom:②⨂(mahāsāra) :restroom:②⨂(paṇiya) :restroom:①⨂(ta) :arrow_forward::metal:⨂(ādiyati) :arrow_up_small:(ti)
therefore | sir | whichever | for us | in caravan | of little worth | article of trade , that | having discarded , whichever | for us | in caravan | of immense wealth | article of trade , that | you take
“Therefore, sir, having discarded whichever articles of trade of little worth for us in (our) caravan, take whichever articles of immense value in (that) caravan.”

evaṃ bho ti kho te satthikā tassa satthavāhassa paṭissutvā yāni sakasmiṃ satthe appasārāni paṇiyāni tāni chaḍḍetvā, yāni tasmiṃ satthe mahāsārāni paṇiyāni tāni ādiyitvā, sotthinā taṃ kantāraṃ nitthariṃsu yathā taṃ paṇḍitena satthavāhena pariṇāyakena.
:arrow_up_small:(evam) :mens:⓪⨀(bhavant) :arrow_up_small:(ti kho) :mens:①⨂(ta) :mens:①⨂(satthika) :mens:④⨀(satthavāha) :arrow_up_small:(paṭissutvā) , :restroom:①⨂(ya) :mens:⑦⨀(saka) :mens:⑦⨀(sattha) :restroom:②⨂(appasāra) :restroom:②⨂(paṇiya) , ①⨂(ya)) :mens:⑦⨀(ta) :mens:⑦⨀(sattha):restroom:②⨂(mahāsāra) :restroom:②⨂(paṇiya) :restroom:①⨂(ta) :arrow_up_small:(ādiyitvā) , :arrow_up_small:(sotthinā) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :mens:②⨀(kantāra) :previous_track_button::love_you_gesture:⨂(nitthari) :arrow_up_small:(yathā) :restroom:①⨀(ta) :mens:③⨀(paṇḍita) :mens:③⨀(satthavāha) :mens:③⨀(pariṇāyaka)
thus | sir | quote | indeed | they | wagon driver | (for) caravan leader | having agreed with , whichever | at own | in caravan | of little worth | article of trade | that | having discarded , whichever | in that | in caravan | of immense wealth | article of trade , having taken , safely | that | desert | crossed over | according to | that | with wise | caravan leader | leader
Yes, sir.” The wagon driver, having agreed with the caravan leader, having discarded whichever articles of trade of little worth in own caravan, habing taken whichever articles of immense value in that caravan, safely crossed over the desert in accordance with the wise caravan leader.

2 Likes