John Kelly Pali course 2024: Warder lesson 21

Thread for discussing chapter 21 of Warder for the class on January 30th 2024.

Meeting ID: 829 5896 1475
Passcode: anicca

Homework for this class:

1. Study all of grammatical material and vocab in Lesson 21 (pp.168-176)
  2. Translate Lesson 21, Passage for Reading 1, all (pp.176-177)
  3. Translate Lesson 21, Passage for Reading 2, paragraph 1 (p.177)
6 Likes

Question 1:
DPD gives the f. sg. nom. for bhotī as bhoti - is this a mistake?

Question 2:
Is this what Warder means when he refers to the verb ah as a defective verb on pg 170?

Also this might be fun to watch while translating Passage 2 :grin:

2 Likes

Rather disappointed that Reading Passage #1 was totally lost on me except for root words here and there plus recognition of some inflections and tenses ā€¦

Upon cheating a few times , I could piece together the meaning. (Couldnā€™t find everything in the DPD and I even checked Margaret Coneā€™s ancient dictionary!) Have to assume the context would have made a big difference :roll_eyes: Ven @acala has provided motivation to plunge into Reading 2 :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I think bhoti/bhotī is one of those nouns that can go either way, like itthi/itthī, see Warder p.152 at the bottom of the page.

Is this what Warder means when he refers to the verb ah as a defective verb on pg 170?

Yes, that is exactly right. At least, as I uderstand the term.

2 Likes

Donā€™t be discouraged. It is definitely not an easy passage. Weā€™ll work through it together tonight.

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit lost with what Warder wants to convey here:

At the left he is saying that the root man means consider. Iā€™ve found this word in a dictionary as maƱƱati.
But what does he mean with mano, manva and manna? Is this a declined form of maƱƱati or sammannati? Which form is that?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have started assembling a list of grammatical questions to ask about this passage, but will leave it on hold til after class, when hopefully Iā€™ll have less to worry you about John! Better to spend my time taking a nap so that Iā€™m fully functional this evening!

1 Like

Never entirely sure about Warder, but the PED entry is helpful here:

Sammannati [saŋ+man, fr. Vedic manute, manvate, for the usual manyate: see maƱƱati]

Skt manyate becomes P maƱƱati.
The Skt ā€˜manvateā€™ becomes P mannati, prefixed with sam-

(I suppose this explains why this form does not have the palatal nasal (Ʊ), but rather the dental nasal (n).

In Pali, ā€˜(a)vaā€™ often reduces to ā€˜oā€™ e.g. bhavati ā€”> hoti, Skt avalokayati ā€”> oloketi, etc.

The Skt root ā€˜manā€™ can mean ā€˜considerā€™, think.

Also see PED entry for ā€˜Mano & Mana(s)ā€™ p. 522.

Thanks! Do I get this right that sammannati can also be sammanoti or sammanvati?

Iā€™m not aware of either of those being attested forms.

1 Like

I probably wonā€™t be able make many of these now since my kamma was signing up for college so now I have to wake up for class a few hours after (itā€™s a public speaking class and Iā€™m actually going to talk about nothingness from Buddhism today), but Iā€™ve certainly appreciated yours and Bhante Sujatoā€™s Pāli teachings along with the dedicated classmates :smile:

5 Likes

Dear John, due to my absence from the last two sessions, I am no longer up to date with the grammar and vocabulary and am not able to do all the translations at the moment. Thatā€™s a real shame, Iā€™ve learned a lot and and still am very motivated. I really want to continue. I hope there will be another opportunity in the near future. I am most grateful to you @johnk John and @sujato!

Alan

5 Likes

Hello @bran and @asci. Itā€™s been a great pleasure having you in the class.
But, time permitting, please donā€™t stop your Pāli studies. And this applies to everyone in the class since the Tuesday evenings are now winding down - just two weeks left.

All of you can continue working your way through the rest of Warder on your own, and I strongly urge you to do so. The forum will remain open for Pāli questions and I and others like Stephen will answer them as we can.

4 Likes

John, I have no idea how to use this :frowning:

In MahaSatipatthana Sutta, in the Dhammanupassana section, in the four noble truths,
katamanca bhikkave yampiccham na labhati tampi dukkham: Jatidhammanam bhikkave sattanam evam icca uppajjati: aho vata mayam na jati dhamma assama, ā€¦

Iā€™m sorry I havenā€™t set up under dots and all that because I learn in Sinhala script!

Just want to confirm that assama is derived from AS or atthi

Thank you very much for teaching us so well - although I havenā€™t placed much importance on grammar. Focus is mainly on the teaching.

@johnk

2 Likes

Yes, Suroo, assāma is from the verb atthi. It is optative 1st person plural, ā€œMay we not beā€.

aho vata mayaį¹ƒ na jāti dhammā assāma - ā€œOh, if only we may not be of the nature to be reborn!ā€

1 Like

Thank you very much John :pray:

2 Likes

Dear @johnk thanks very much! I am definitely continuing with the studies and will not give up this treasure. I hope the opportunity will come to take on another Pāli course for systematic repetition and refreshment of what I have learned so far and will try to memorize.

2 Likes