John Kelly Pali course 2024: Warder lesson 22b

I love it too.
A tool that has potential for any group that decides to work on translations together.

:ghost:
Boo! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
:japanese_goblin:

1 Like

Frank. Those titles given to those two verses seem so unrelated to the content of them that they are seemingly irrelevant to me. That’s why I’ve never really bothered with them.

But hey, old people protecting their eyes and clean energy are both good things, right!

2 Likes

Wow-earrings and hidden text- Warder’s over and it’s like Spring Fever, students at play!

4 Likes

In Australia it’s traditionally called Students’ Muck-up Day.

3 Likes

etaṃ is a demonstrative pronoun, neuter singular (to agree with mangalaṃ), = this.
maṅgala is a noun, neuter singular, uninflected because it is part of a compound = blessing, what is auspicious (DPD).
-m_ is sandhi between two vowels.
uttanaṃ is an adjective, neuter singular (to agree with mangalaṃ) = best, highest, ultimate, supreme (DPD).
maṅgalamuttamaṃ is a bahubibbīhi compound.

@johnk am I correct about maṅgallamuttamaṃ?

2 Likes

Thanks Gillian, now I get it! :slightly_smiling_face: I think it’s just a sandhi of maṅgalaṃ and uttamaṃ. Nominative singular of a neuter noun + adjective. I couldn’t make sense of the m in between and thought it was the first letter of the second word! :blush:

1 Like

Correct, Frank.

Gillian, just like dukkhamanveti and sukhamanveti, which Bhante asked about earlier, due to sandhi the final niggahita -ṃ is assimilated to simple labial -m.

maṅgalamuttamaṃ is a bahubibbīhi compound

No, it’s not even a compound. It’s just a noun followed by an adjective, joined in sandhi.

2 Likes

That was my first hypothesis! & of course remembering other familiar sandhis I could have stuck with it.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for fun final class today! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Going to miss seeing everyone Tuesdays at 4:45 AM.

I’m 9/10s sure that I’d like to join John’s G&K class, but had also been looking forward to diving into Reading the Buddha’s Discourses in Pali once we wrapped up Warder. Is there anyone else here who had planned on moving on to this (or already doing it now)?

Also, just curious how others were planning on continuing your Pāli studies, if you’re not signing up for John’s G&K?

2 Likes

I started working with this book about three years ago. (Indeed, that’s the meandering way I found SuttaCentral and eventually was accepted into Bhante Sujato’s course.) I approached the chapters very slowly and, without the foundational grammatical knowledge, focused on them as a kind of memorization project – not just for learning SN suttas by heart but also the vocab. As well as for learning the teachings directly. Now that the Warder course is over (sans the massive homework), I’ll return to the book and this approach but with eyes wide open vis-a-vis the grammar, as Bhikkhu Bodhi’s grammatical explanations are superb (hmmm…wonder if John Kelly had anything to do with that).

3 Likes

Now that the Warder course is over (sans the massive homework), I’ll return to the book

Oh nice! I had paged through it wondering if there was any way to do it as a group, but I’m afraid my imagination is failing me.

Still, if anyone else from our Warder cohort wanted to keep going from the level that we’ve stopped at, I’d love to consider it. (Even if we’re in G&K at the same time)

2 Likes

Yes, I would also like to continue with either G&K or BB.

I have a monastic Pali class that I am in here in Perth, but I was going to try and possibly listen to the recordings from John’s new class and then do the HW for G&K. I find the threads useful for asking questions.

2 Likes

Anyone who is interested in attending John’s new class, including accessing the recordings, should place a post in this thread: Who wants to learn Pali?- take 2 (G&K). I took it prior to joining the Warder class, so can definitely say it would be great revision.

I have Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book, and am looking forward to starting it. I fear I may be pressed for time, but if a group formed that was going to tackle small amounts at a time I would love to be part of it.

2 Likes

I am still working on my “project”, and still not willing to talk about it until I have finished at least chapter 1, hopefully in a few weeks time.

One “issue” I have is that I have (perhaps foolishly) agreed to teach a masters course at uni, and the trimester starts next week, so I’ll have less spare time for the next 3 months. In a way, the Pali class finishing off this week is great timing, because I really need to start preparing for my classes now.

I have done a few chapters of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book, but I am not a fan of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translations in general, also I don’t really like the selections he has in the book, the excerpts from Johansson’s book are far superior (in my not so humble opinion). However, selection of excerpts aside, the grammar explanations are good (probably thanks to @johnk !).

2 Likes