John Kelly’s Pāli Class 2024 (G&K) Class 11

Here is the pdf of the Power-point slides from today’s class
SC Pali 2024 Class 11 Slides.pdf (1.0 MB)

3 Likes

Planning to use that time to revise and get a grip on the grammar of the Pali language… :pray:

1 Like

John, I apologize for my absence tonight. After our long day of Vesak activities, our monastery’s tea time unexpectedly ran waaaaaaay over! (I stayed for good reason- i got to ask a visiting bhikkhuni about maybe visiting Santi :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

4 Likes

John or Stephen, could you remind me of the purpose of the prefix vi?

For example, in vippasidāti and vipassati (from the reading passages) is vi having the same effect? I included the DPD screenshots.

Thank you!

The common prefix ‘vi-‘ can have multiple meanings, both positive and negative.

Here are some excerpts from the PED entry:

“ 1. denoting expansion, spreading out; fig. variety or detail, to be trsld by expressions with over or about (cp. Lat. e-), as: ˚kampati shake about, ˚kāseti open out, ˚kirati scatter about,…”

“ 2. denoting disturbance, separation, mixing up (opp. saŋ˚), as given with “away” or “down,” or the prefixes de- and dis-, e. g. ˚kasita burst asunder…”

“ 3. denoting the reverse of the simple verb, or loss, difference, opposite, reverse, as expressed by un- or dis-, e. g. ˚asana mis- fortune, ˚kaṭika unclean, ˚kappa change round, ˚kāra per-turbation, dis- tortion, ˚kāla wrong time, ˚tatha un- truth…”

“4. in intensifying sense (developed fr. 1 & 2), mostly with terms expressing per se one or the other of shades of meanings given under 1-3; to be trsld by “away,” out, all over, “up,” or similarly (completely), e. g. ˚ākula quite confused, ˚katta cut up, ˚kopeti shake up, ˚garahati scold intensely, ˚chindati cut off, ˚jita conquered altogether, ˚jjotita resplendent, ˚tarati come quite through…”

The words you supplied seem to exhibit senses 1&4.

‘Vipassana’, a type of enhanced or special seeing, i.e. ‘in-sight’, (#4?); ‘vipasīdati’ (vi + pa) a spreading out of brightness, confidence, calm.(#1?)

Note: the prefix ‘vi-‘ often becomes ‘vy-‘ before ‘a’.

3 Likes