JSON parallels, thoughts and ideas

Do you have a list of Abhidhamma parallels? I don’t have any.

Then maybe something like this:

“uids”: [“dn22”, “ma98”, “ea12.1”, “mn10”, “vb7#pts193-#pts202”, “?t1537#5-#6”, “?t1548#28-#29”],
“quoted”: [“dn22”, “qt12.1#4”],
“>”: [“dn22”, “mn10”] ,
“remarks”: “t1537#5-#6 = Dharmaskandha, T 1537.5–6, T xxvi 475c25–479b24, t1548#28-#29 = Sāriputrābhidharma, T 1548.28–29, T xxviii 705a28–711a01”

(Not sure what the correct abbreviations for the Dharmaskandha and Sāriputrābhidharma would be.)
or alternatively for the dn22 > mn10:

“dn22”: “>mn10”

No, unfortunately. There’s not huge amounts. A dozen or so in the Vibhanga, maybe a hundred in the Puggalapannatti, and probably a similar number in the Kathavatthu. The latter two have no Chinese parallels that I know of, so the parallels are probably available from the cross-references.

The Vibhanga/Dharmaskandha/Sariputrabhidharma is the main case of significant parallels shared not only between Abhidharma texts but also with the suttas. Generally they’re quoting samyutta-style doctrinal passages, so it’s not always possible toe identify the exact passage easily. moreoever, while the Vibhanga basically quotes one passage at the start, then gives that an abhidhamma analysis, the Dharmaskandha gives more liberal and flexible quoatations. This makes it a more interesting text, but also makes identification harder. The Dharmaskandha, in addition, has substantial Sanskrit portions, which are available on gretil:

http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/1_sanskr/4_rellit/buddh/dhrmsk_u.htm

Sorting all this out is more work than we can do at the moment.

In addition to these, there are certain cases of purely Abhidhammic parallels, that is, portions of Abhidhamma texts that appear to parallel each other, but not the suttas. This includes a passage in the Vijnanakaya, where there is a discussion on the atta that is an abbreviated version of the first chapter of the Kathavatthu. There’s also certain parallels in the discussions on causes and so on. Again, not very many but outside our scope for the time being.

I agree. To do it correct it would ideally be somebody who reads Chinese as well.

I guess the Abhidhamma texts are often (always???) quoted texts rather than direct parallels?

Indeed, yes, except of course for the abhidhamma to abhidhamma parallels. Oh, and I should have mentioned that the Satipatthana Sutta parallels are partials.

Perhaps, in fact, we should have a special category for texts quoted in later ones …