Limts regarding multiple consecutive posts by same user

Just wanted to let you know that I don’t think that’s actually the case. You get an intimidating notice when you make three posts, but you can ignore it and still add more posts anyway. I’ve done it a few times, and Ven. Yodha has done it regularly on the doodle threads.

5 Likes

Have you? It simply didn’t post my new posts…

2 Likes

Here’s an obvious case where I made lots more than 3 posts:

And you can check the doodles threads for Ven. Yodha. There are plenty of examples.

3 Likes

I don’t know about this particular case, but generally speaking, different user levels within the Discourse system allows different things.

It may also be that subsequent to @musiko’s administrative updates, custom settings that permitted actions beforehand may have been reset. Again I don’t know if this applies here, but just suggesting possibilities to explain why both accounts may be true.

5 Likes

Yes but I think Anagarika Sabbamitta and I are on the same level. If anything, she’s a lot more active on discourse than I am… It’s really weird that she can’t post.

Anyway, now I’ve derailed the thread enough and will shut up… :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Or is the constraint 3 posts a day? (It’s correct that you are both on the same user level.)
@musiko can you shed light please?

1 Like

I have indeed been wondering how you did this.

No, the posts are all on different days. And when trying to make a fourth one it was again some time later.

1 Like

Since we are both on the same user level, lets test it.

3 Likes

I’ll try to make four posts in a row.

2 Likes

This is the third post, one more.

Edit: Anagarika Sabbamitta is right, I can’t make any more posts. This must be a new thing.

6 Likes

May I salute and share my delight in your commitment to inquisitive endeavour! :grin:

10 Likes

Might there be a difference in Original Poster and Comment Posters in regards to 3 in a row in Discourse? This might be independent of user class.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Viveka, for splitting this. :pray:

4 Likes

Indeed, this is correct. It was introduced in Nov. '18 as part of Discourse 2.2.0.beta5 Release Notes - announcements - Discourse Meta

Limit consecutive replies

Do your users like to reply to themselves in a topic over and over again? Or reply to different users each as a new reply instead of quoting? Discourse now limits users to no more than 3 consecutive replies. If the user attempts to post more the reply will not be posted, and they’ll be instructed to edit their last post instead. …

The way to work around this limitation is to create a topic, and then one can post unlimited replies to oneself.

11 Likes

:rofl:

1. Karl: Karl?
  2. Karl: Yes?
  3. Karl: How are you?
  4. Karl: Why do you ask?
7 Likes

Well the Buddha used to do this, at least according to the Niddesa. The Niddesa author says that questions put to the Buddha are of three kinds: manussapucchā, amanussapucchā and nimmitapucchā, that is, questions asked by humans, questions asked by non-humans, and then questions that the Buddha asks himself after creating a mind-made body. Apparently the last is a tactic he resorts to if nobody in the audience has the nous to ask a good question or if someone has a doubt but is too shy to express it.

10 Likes

Wow thanks for that Ven Dhammanando!

Completely off topic… but… :sweat_smile:

The last strategy reminds me of a training strategy I used to use quite a lot. Living in seclusion and in absence of a teacher, I constructed/created a wise mentor to whom I could put questions (her name was Menta), and who in turn would ask ‘me’ questions to try to cut through delusion. It was an invaluable strategy. I even formalised it, by doing it in a journal as if a correspondence. Of course this is a ‘last resort’ when there are no real teachers available with the real danger of being led completely astray… this was with no access to the internet

Thanks for the info, I had thought I was a bit mad :crazy_face:, but hey the Buddha did it too :smiley:

11 Likes

Oh no, I love this strategy. This, “taking the perspective of someone a little wiser than you” strategy creeps up a few times in the Canon, most memorably for me in the “Ten Subjects” sutta where we chant:

Can I fault myself with regard to my virtue?

And then immediately also ask:

Can my knowledgeable fellows in the holy life, on close examination, fault me with regard to my virtue?

I find that the second question often brings up things the first one missed! Homage to the Blessed One!

8 Likes