Linking to "Discuss and Discover"

Thanks Bhante. Perfect.

Also, just to let you know, the current version of Discourse, to which we will upgrade shortly, supports full page searches, so you can link to that if you like.

1 Like

It seems that Discuss and Discover has disappeared from the side bar. The direct link https://suttacentral.net/en/dn2/discussion also seems broken.

1 Like

Both these are working fine for me. Perhaps it’s a cache thing to so with the recent search engine outage (D&D uses elasticsearch, as does the site search). Try clearing your browser cache and trying again, or maybe waiting a few hours.

1 Like

Both work fine for me now!

1 Like

This seems to have stopped indexing again. For example this post from yesterday:

We just updated Discourse, it may have broken something. @blake can you check this.

Thanks,

Has there been any more thought about whether the links should be accessible from the “Details” pages such as:

In a case like that you need to go to the Pali page to get the links (since the English is off-site), which isn’t so convenient.

Perhaps thought could also be given to whether there should be a “previous” and “next” button on that page.

Putting these together:
Would it work to duplicate the “three bars” button and the “next” and “previous” buttons (as on the Pali, or other original language pages) onto the “Details” pages. This would give reasonably logical navigation from all pages.

These are good points, @blake can you look into this when you get some time?

using this opportunity i’d like to reiterate my earlier suggestion to associate ‘Discuss & Discover’ button with texts in other languages as well, because preference of reading a text in one’s native language doesn’t negate ability and will to read supplementary material in English, especially that all such material on the site is in English anyway

sure the list in D&D could become congested if references to topics in different languages were all aggregated thereunder, but not yet

I made these changes:

• Discussions are now available for all languages.
  • There is now a number showing how many discussions are available.

I have also added an experimental feature: Under the list of Discussions, you can click a checkbox to receive notifications when discussions are available for a sutta. Then, whenever you browse to a page, you will receive a Notification via the browser Notifications API informing you of how many discussions are available. If you click on that notification, it will open the sidebar on the discussions list. If it gets annoying you can uncheck the tickbox. Note that this will not work in Internet Explorer which doesn’t implement Notifications, but it should work in Chrome, Firefox, Safari and some mobile browsers.

It wouldn’t be difficult to add the Discourse results on details pages, it would mainly be a matter of figuring out the interface.

2 Likes

Thanks, sounds great, see how people like it.

I think the idea is to simply add the sidebar and pre/next nav on the details pages, with whatever info is relevant in the sidebar, incl D&D.

@blake does it take time to appear? because as of now there’s no change

Hi @blake,

the iframe discuss and discover implementation no longer seems to work after this update. I’ve tried on chrome, firefox, edge.

Edge browser on Windows 10 , returned the error:

This content can’t be shown in a frame.
There is supposed to be some content here, but the publisher doesn’t allow it to be displayed in a frame. This is to help protect the security of any information you might enter into this site.

The others return nothing (apart from the link).

Also, it would be super cool if I could have the ‘Notify me of discussions’ checkbox returned in the iframe.

it still works for me in a slightly outdated version of Chrome on Win XP

but out of the mentioned updates only the count of links under D&D is available

Yes, that was my suggestion.

There seems to be a bug preventing Discuss and Discover on some pages, such as:

The iframe implementation is back working again now.

Many thanks @blake

Discuss and Discover still seems broken in many places, such as:

It may be significant that neither of those suttas have English translations. In the few cases where there are English translations that I’ve checked I get Discuss and Discover on both the English and the Pali.

Turns out there was a bug preventing the results showing on pages without english translations. I have fixed this so discussions should now consistently appear.
Another update I have made to discussions is they have a bias in favor of newer posts, so newer posts (especially those in the previous month or two) will be more likely to appear near the top of the list.