Linking together the Bhikkhuni and Bhikkhu rules which are the same

I’m in the process of updating thebuddhaswords.net with Ajahn @Brahmali’s great translations of the Vinaya and am coming across this situation often. The Nissaggiya Pācittiyas were a challenge as there is not a direct correlation with the bhikkhu’s rules. (e.g bi-vb-np13=bu-vb-np1 etc).

I’ve now started the Sekhiyas (which do appear to have a direct correlation to the monks Sekhiya rules but the navigation to them on Sutta Central is difficult as there are no links to the corresponding bhikkhu rules. The “parallel” (circled in the image below for the bhikkhuni Sekhiya 2) is not a hyperlink as I’d expect.

I’ve added notes on my site to the affect that the bhikkhuni NP13 is the bhikkhu’s NP1 but, so that I know how to treat them, with the Sekhiyas, is there such a thing a the “bhikkhuni sekhiyas” or have they been adopted by the bhikkhunis?

1 Like

Some of the time ago some of the Dhammasara community compiled this comparison chart.

Is this helpful for what you are doing?

Comparison Table of Bhikkhu-Bhikkhuni Patimokkha Rules.pdf (277.0 KB)

4 Likes

In the Pali vinaya, the sekhiyas are exactly the same for bhikkhus and bhikkhunis.

3 Likes

Thank you for your responses Venerables. The comparison table will come in handy.

It is great to have it confirmed that the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis share the sekhiyas.

I’ll do my best to accommodate any suggestions that will make it easier to browse the bhikkhuni rules so please let me know what would help you.

2 Likes