SuttaCentral

Linking together the Bhikkhuni and Bhikkhu rules which are the same

It would be helpful if one could jump from the Bhikkhuni rules to the Bhikkhu rules which are shared. Perhaps going as far as to link together rules that are similar with minor variations.

You can to some extend as they are marked in the parallels list.
So if you go to Parajika 1 in the Bhikkhu Patimokkha: https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pj1, the parallels list also lists pli-tv-bi-vb-pj1. However, because those Bhikkhuni rules are the same, there is no Pali or English translation for them.

What I think you mean however is a list like the attached.
patimokkhalist.pdf (31.6 KB)

This shows the various overlaps between them but are not marked as parallels. Maybe this is something we should consider doing. Bhante @Sujato, what do you think?

That’s what the parallels are.

Most of these are in fact marked as parallels. The ones that are not marked as parallels are, from what I can see, cases where the rule covers a similar topic, or where there are related discussions in the Khandhakas. I’m not sure that the first kind of similarity can really be dealt with by data parallels: how do we limit the scope once we admit “thematic similarity” as a criterion? On the other hand, in the cases where specific rules have technical relations with passages in the Khandhakas—such as rules on expulsion for wrong view—then they could be a certain kind of parallel. perhaps “retelling”? Or perhaps a new kind of parallel?

Another issue to be considered is whether we can integrate the Chinese Khandhakas in such lists.

This would be the case for instance between Bhikkhuni Parajika 5 and Bhikkhu Sanghadisesa 2.
Maybe a new class of parallel for such cases? I think for comparison these things are quite important to be able to look up.

For instance Bhikkhuni Saṅghādisesa 2 appears here: https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd1/en/horner-brahmali#Kd.1.43.1

However, the story of the rule does not appear there so strictly speaking it is not a full parallel, but resembling. On the other hand, we also mark Vibhanga and Patimokkha rules as full parallel of each other while the story does not appear in the Patimokkha.

I think “retelling” does not really cover it. This is more reserved for when later texts retell a story from the earlier texts. I think either “resembling” or a new class for such cases, specially found in the Vinaya.

We have no parallels between the Chinese Bhikkhuni Vibhanga and the Chinese Khandhakas so somebody would have to come up with a list similar to the one I posted above.