List the books on Buddhism you find most beneficial

“In the Buddha’s Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon” is a useful selection of suttas.

“THE BUDDHIST COSMOS: A Comprehensive Survey of the Early Buddhist Worldview; according to Theravāda and Sarvsātivāda sources”, by Punnadhammo Mahāthero, is an excellent review of how traditional Buddhists understood their scriptures’ cosmology.

“A Few Good Men: The Bodhisattva Path according to The Inquiry of Ugra (Ugraparipṛcchā)”, by Jan Nattier, is an excellent introduction to the development of Mahayana Buddhism.

1. Anguttara Nikaya [Numerated Discourses]
  2. Samyutta Nikaya [Connected Discourses]
  3. Majjhima Nikaya [Middle-length Discourses]
  4. Digha Nikaya [Long Discourses]
  5. Kuddhaka Nikaya; [Minor Collection]
  • Itivuttaka [As it Was Said]
  • Udana [Inspired Utterances]
  • Sutta Nipata [Collection of Discourses]
  • Dhammapada [Dhammaverses]
  • Theragatha [Poems of Elder Monks]
  • Therigatha [Poems of Elder Nuns]
  1. Theravadin Abhidhamma [Overview of Dhamma];
  • Vibhanga [Classification]
  • Dhammasanghani [Compendium of Dhammas]
  1. Milinda Panha [Questions of King Milinda]

I think these are the most important and practically useful.

1 Like

These days I mostly avoid physical books except for those that I want to be able to read 5, 10, or 20 years into the future. For Buddhism, that means primarily sutras.

For EBT’s, the book I reach to most often is Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation of the Samyutta Nikaya. Runner up would be his translation of the Majjhima Nikaya.

For later texts like Mahayana sutras, I prefer an old paperback compilation called, A Treasury of Mahayana Sutras. It’s just 500 pages of dozens of obscure and lesser-known Mahayana sutras from the Maharatnakuta collection. Quite authentic and representative of what was circulating around India and greater Gandhara in the middle period.

4 Likes

So many beneficial reads over the years, but the following have been most influential:

In the Buddha’s Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Five Nikayas (DN, MN, SN, AN, KN: Dhp, Ud, Snp, Iti, Thag, Thig)
Vinaya
Reading the Buddha’s Discourses in Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Meanings by Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Dhamma Within Reach by Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Notes on Dhamma/Clearing the Path by Ven. Nanavira
With Right Understanding by Ven. Akincano
Beyond the Horizon of Time by Ven. Punnaji
The New Buddhism by James William Coleman
As a Man Thinketh by James Allen

4 Likes

I have several books on Buddhism that I have found some value in. The ones below are have provided the most value in terms of informing my current, and admittedly incomplete understanding:

The Noble Eightfold Path by Bhikku Bodhi
What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
8 Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha’s Path by Bhante Gunaratana

I would highly recommend each of these. I am currently studying 8 Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha’s Path and have found exceptional value in this book by Bhante Gunaratana. So much so, that I plan to read each of his other books with Mindfulness in Plain English and Loving-Kindness in Plain English next on my list.

I am reminded by Bhante G’s writing, “Even if you read this book a hundred times, it won’t help you unless you put what’s written here into practice. But this book surely will help you if you practice sincerely, investigate your unhappiness fearlessly, and commit yourself to doing whatever it takes to reach lasting happiness.”

Many blessings to you and all who read these words.

6 Likes

I’ve been reading Working With the Five Hindrances by Ajahn Thiradhammo, I believe. It’s a very practically useful and insightful book and has lots of references to EBT as well. :pray:

1 Like