Looking for 2 suttas on the inner pleasure of seclusion, not to be feared

Hi All

Can you help me locate the sutta where the Buddha says that he remembered that there was a blameless pleasure of Jhana and he knew this was the path? I believe it talks about when he was a child and experienced blameless pleasure after realizing the austere life he had been living was not the correct path.

The other sutta I’m looking for is the one where the Buddha talks about whatevwe direction we incline the mind it will lean that ways.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can use the search more effectively? I tried searching “blameless pleasure” and “mind leaning” with no luck.

Thank you all!

Metta

2 Likes

Hi @amimettalove,

The first is Mahasaccaka Sutta MN36

“Then it occurred to me: ‘I recall sitting in the cool shade of the rose-apple tree while my father the Sakyan was off working. Quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, I entered and remained in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. Could that be the path to awakening?’ Stemming from that memory came the realization: ‘That is the path to awakening!’ Then it occurred to me: ‘Why am I afraid of that pleasure, for it has nothing to do with sensual pleasures or unskillful qualities?’ Then I thought: ‘I’m not afraid of that pleasure, for it has nothing to do with sensual pleasures or unskillful qualities.’”

The second might be the Dvedhavittaka Sutta, MN19:

"Whatever a mendicant frequently thinks about and considers becomes their heart’s inclination. If they often think about and consider sensual thoughts, they’ve given up the thought of renunciation to cultivate sensual thought. Their mind inclines to sensual thoughts. If they often think about and consider malicious thoughts … their mind inclines to malicious thoughts. If they often think about and consider cruel thoughts … their mind inclines to cruel thoughts. "

Hope I got them right!

11 Likes

Check MN139 as well:

"Take a mendicant who, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected.
As the placing of the mind and keeping it connected are stilled, they enter and remain in the second absorption … third absorption … fourth absorption.
This is called the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of awakening.
Such pleasure should be cultivated and developed, and should not be feared, I say.
‘Know how to distinguish different kinds of pleasure. Knowing this, pursue inner bliss.’
That’s what I said, and this is why I said it.

https://suttacentral.net/mn139/en/sujato

6 Likes

Wonderful! This is perfect!

One more. There is a sutta where the Buddha finds the highest for who has power over creation and he tries to hide from the Buddha but the Buddha finds him.

Also, I have heard, by Ajahn @sujato I believe, that there are two instances where this God is basically humiliated by the Buddha. I’d really love to find these suttas.

2 Likes

I am listening to your Dhamma talk called Life of Pleasure Bhante @sujato and you mention a sutta where Sariputa says it is because there is no feeling that it is why it is peaceful, regarding the jhanas. Do you know which sutta this is off hand? I’d love to read this one. I really appreciate your Dhamma talks.

1 Like

I understand Ven. Sujato will take a while to reply as it is mid-Vassa now.
Does anyone volunteer to ‘hunt’ for that sutta? :anjal:

1 Like

Thank you all for helping me find these Suttas. I am compiling suttas for an ebook to share freely with the world for those who wish to look at them. This is part of the Desert Island Suttas - Buddha’s Essential Teachings that I am working on.

2 Likes

The first one here is likely MN 49. The other one may be SN 6.4.

3 Likes

This one is AN 9.34, but the “no feeling” is referring to nibbana.

3 Likes

I think that’s in the DN somewhere.

1 Like

This is the one! Thank you so much @Christopher

1 Like

Thank you for finding these! These are exactly what I was looking for. I had read the first one, but the second one is very important as well and will be included in the collection. :pray:

2 Likes

Okay I have one more. This is really helping me a lot. I have been reading suttas for years and there are many I would like to include in this compilation so I really appreciate all the gracious help.

The one I’m looking for is a quote where the Buddha says something like, one way is the way of the world and the other is the way to nibbana.

I’m afraid that’s a little too vague for me. Any other clues?

1 Like