Looking for a sutta I remember a little

Hello

In this sutta Buddha says If the world is said to be infinite the spiritual life can’t be lived. And so for also saying it’s not.

Thanks in advance.

Those are about infinity of the world, but conclusion is way different…

If I’m not wrong it’s in suttas. I think it can’t be said the world is not infinite because cause and effect. That’s what he probably meant. But then again. What he meant was the spiritual life can’t be lived with holding on to the view the world is infinite. Or even not. It’s both views

Holding to any view should be eliminated.

“Mendicants, a mendicant has eliminated idiosyncratic interpretations of the truth, has totally given up searching, has stilled the physical process, and is said to be ‘withdrawn’.

And how has a mendicant eliminated idiosyncratic interpretations of the truth? Different ascetics and brahmins have different idiosyncratic interpretations of the truth. For example: the cosmos is eternal, or not eternal, or finite, or infinite; the soul and the body are the same thing, or they are different things; after death, a Realized One exists, or doesn’t exist, or both exists and doesn’t exist, or neither exists nor doesn’t exist. A mendicant has dispelled, eliminated, thrown out, rejected, let go of, given up, and relinquished all these. That’s how a mendicant has eliminated idiosyncratic interpretations of the truth.

And how has a mendicant totally given up searching? It’s when they’ve given up searching for sensual pleasures, for continued existence, and for a spiritual path. That’s how a mendicant has totally given up searching.

And thinking about stuff like that is not beneficial

So mendicants, don’t speculate about the world. For example: the cosmos is eternal, or not eternal, or finite, or infinite; the soul and the body are the same thing, or they are different things; after death, a Realized One exists, or doesn’t exist, or both exists and doesn’t exist, or neither exists nor doesn’t exist. Why is that? Because those thoughts aren’t beneficial or relevant to the fundamentals of the spiritual life. They don’t lead to disillusionment, dispassion, cessation, peace, insight, awakening, and extinguishment.

Yes I read them. I understand. But I still have to find out the other one source

If you happen to find it please post it :slight_smile:

Found it. Thanks for the push to find it.

Mālunkyāputta, if there is the view ‘the world is eternal,’ the holy life cannot be lived; and if there is the view ‘the world is not eternal,’ the holy life cannot be lived. Whether there is the view ‘the world is eternal’ or the view ‘the world is not eternal,’ there is birth, there is ageing, there is death, there are sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair, the destruction of which I prescribe here and now.

https://suttacentral.net/mn63/en/bodhi

1 Like