Looking for sutta: brahmaviharas are antidotes to

The sutta I have in mind gives what each brahmavihara is an antidote to: metta as the antidote to ill will, karuna as an antidote to cruelty or harmfulness(?), mudita as antidote to discontent(?), and equanimity as an antidote to…something. There may be more to the sutta.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

DN 33 has something like that. From the shiny new translation by Venerable Sujato:

Six elements of escape. Take a mendicant who says: ‘I’ve developed the heart’s release by love. I’ve cultivated it, made it my vehicle and my basis, kept it up, consolidated it, and properly implemented it. Yet somehow ill will still occupies my mind.’ They should be told, ‘Not so, venerable! Don’t say that. Don’t misrepresent the Buddha, for misrepresentation of the Buddha is not good. And the Buddha would not say that. It’s impossible, reverend, it cannot happen that the heart’s release by love has been developed and properly implemented, yet somehow ill will still occupies the mind. For it is the heart’s release by love that is the escape from ill will.’

Take another mendicant who says: ‘I’ve developed the heart’s release by compassion. I’ve cultivated it, made it my vehicle and my basis, kept it up, consolidated it, and properly implemented it. Yet somehow the thought of harming still occupies my mind.’ They should be told, ‘Not so, venerable! … For it is the heart’s release by compassion that is the escape from thoughts of harming.’

Take another mendicant who says: ‘I’ve developed the heart’s release by rejoicing. I’ve cultivated it, made it my vehicle and my basis, kept it up, consolidated it, and properly implemented it. Yet somehow negativity still occupies my mind.’ They should be told, ‘Not so, venerable! … For it is the heart’s release by rejoicing that is the escape from negativity.’

Take another mendicant who says: ‘I’ve developed the heart’s release by equanimity. I’ve cultivated it, made it my vehicle and my basis, kept it up, consolidated it, and properly implemented it. Yet somehow desire still occupies my mind.’ They should be told, ‘Not so, venerable! … For it is the heart’s release by equanimity that is the escape from desire.’

8 Likes

Have you tried looking in our new indexes for subjects, similes, names and terminology?

7 Likes

That’s the one Christopher, thank you.

Thank you Bhante, that is a useful page.

:anjal::anjal:

3 Likes

Here is another sutta I found with the answer, from Venerable Sujato’s translation of MN 62:

6 Likes