The Mahaparinibbana Sutta DN 16

Part 1:

Part 1B:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

8 Likes

Kay, make sure when adding any sutta materials, use the proper SC ID at some place, preferably the title or at least somewhere in the post. That way our system will automagically link up with it from SuttaCentral. Just write DN 16 somewhere and the system does the rest.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you Bhante.

Hi Bhante, I just edited the title accordingly but the SC ID doesn’t seem to have come up…

Umm, nope, it’s right there. Maybe a cache problem. Anyway, it’s fine now.

Weird…I can’t see it. I mean I can see DN 16…in the title…but can’t see the little dotted line underneath it and it certainly isn’t taking me anywhere when I click on it.

A cache problem?

Oh, yes, the linking from this side to that only works if it is in the body of the post, not the title. But it will show up in the sidebar of the sutta on SC. I’d forgotten about that! Anyway, probably best to put the ID in the text body.

3 Likes

Hi @anon29387788,

I’m surprised that you somewhat missed out on part 3. I’ll remove that post happily once it’s available up there ;-).

[Removed linked - not needed anymore]

:slight_smile:

/\

1 Like

Thanks Sukha, part 3 was only Live on Sunday so has only recently been uploaded. Thank you for being so alert and posting it here :slight_smile: It’s much appreciated indeed. :anjal::bodhileaf:

1 Like

Hello all,

I just added Part 4 - those of you who have been following more carefully than I have, please let me know if I’ve missed one somewhere…!!! I don’t think I have, but just in case…

Enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My apologies everyone, it seems I missed Part 1B!! I’m not sure why the BSWA have labelled the last one 1C…I’m assuming this was in error. I hope I’ve got it correct now…

@ approx 3:59 in part 2, if I may ask you, Ven @Brahmali, you identify the Chinese recension of the parnirvāṇasūtra as coming to us through a Sarvāstivāda line of remembrance and textual transmission. I had believed that the extant Dīrghāgama of the Taishō Canon was Dharmaguptaka in origin and maintenance. In fact, I think I learned this from SuttaCentral’s hosting of the Dīrghāgama, where it is identified as Dharmaguptaka in the metadata. Are there multiple recensions of the parnirvāṇasūtra in the āgamāḥ, or parallels yet unlisted here?

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

As you rightly point out, the version of the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta found in the Dīrghāgama is normally considered to be of Dharmaguptaka provenance. But I believe I was referring to a Sanskrit version of the Sutta, published by Waldschmidt, and this version is indeed reckoned as belonging to the Sarvāstivādin lineage. This version, too, is found on SuttaCentral, here.

There are in fact quite few versions of the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta, with five full parallels found in Chinese alone. So far as I know, only one of these has so far been translated into English. I have been told by reliable sources, however, that the translation is not of very high quality. SuttaCentral gives you a good overview of all full and partial parallels, here.

3 Likes

I can’t see it in the sidebar. Neither in “controls”, nor “navigation”, nor “metadata”.

I suspected such when you mentioned that some or one particular one was in the vinaya (!) around the same time as the Sarvāstivāda attribution. The Dharmaguptaka recension is in DA as was already mentioned. That being said, it does actually make perfect sense why some would sort it in with that material, but it surprised me nonetheless. I suppose surprises come with the territory of being completely unexposed to the vinaya.

I flagged this as broken a while ago. It’s going to stay broken until SCnext :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just added the next session :slight_smile:

1 Like