Make a rainbow fall at our feet šŸŒˆ tell us about our mistakes, typos, and other oversights

In Iti27, more specifically here.

Itā€™s like how after the rainy season the sky is clear and cloudless. At the crack of dawn, the Morning Star shines and glows and radiates.
Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, rattiyā paccÅ«sasamayaį¹ osadhitārakā bhāsate ca tapate ca virocati ca;

The part ā€˜after the rainy season the sky is clear and cloudlessā€™ is not in the Pali, it is part of a previous simile and accidentally copied to the next?

1 Like

AN6.67 not sure if minor omission
Itā€™s quite possible that a mendicant with good friends, companions, and associates, ā€¦ Having fulfilled ethics, itā€™s possible ((to)) give up sensual desire, and desire to be reborn in the realm of luminous form and in the formless realm.ā€

Just a couple of minor typo observations pls.

1. SuttaCentral

Venerables Ānanda and Sāriputta discuss how a mendicants gets to further their learning and understanding.

*mendicant (singular)?

1. SuttaCentral - 4th para

When there is sense restraint, one who has ((fulfilled)) sense restraint has fulfilled a vital condition for ethical conduct. When there is ethical conduct, one who has fulfilled ethical conduct has fulfilled a vital condition for right immersion. ā€¦

*fulfilled (word missing)?

Thank you very much again for providing this remarkable resource. Very grateful.

1 Like

cp10:14.3: Mahantaį¹ akāsi citakaį¹,
Building a great pyre,
cp10:14.4: katvā aį¹…gāragabbhakaį¹.
he place an ember in the recess.

Probably ā€œhe placed an ember ā€¦ā€.

cp10:19.3: Kevalaį¹ sakalaį¹ kāyaį¹,
my whole entire body
cp10:19.4: Brāhmaį¹‡assa adāsahanā€ti.
I have to the brahmin.ā€

Probably ā€œI gave to the brahminā€.

cp10:19.2: Aį¹­į¹­hiį¹ hadayabandhanaį¹;
bones, heart, and corded heart:

What on earth are we to understand by a ā€œcorded heartā€? :open_mouth:

cp12:7.1: Sakajīvitapariccāgo,
To give up my own life
cp12:7.2: tiį¹‡ato lahuko mama;
was a light as a blade of grass.

Should probably be ā€œwas as light as ā€¦ā€.

cp14:5.3: Upagamma mamaį¹ pucchi,
he approached me and asked,

A new sentence is starting here, so ā€œHeā€ should have a capital.

In MN 140 adhiį¹­į¹­hāna is usually translated as ā€œfoundationā€ (segments 7.1, 11.1, 11.3, 11.4, 25.1, 27.3, 28.7). Only in segment 26.3 it has recently been changed to ā€œresolveā€, ā€œthe ultimate resolve of truthā€.

Should the translation not be consistent throughout the Sutta?

1 Like

AN 6.55 Sona - does ā€œthe lotā€ needs to be removed

"As the wind cannot stir a solid mass of rock, so too sights, tastes, sounds, smells, and touchesā€”the lotā€”

and thoughts, whether liked or disliked, donā€™t disturb the poised one. Their mind is steady and free as they observe disappearance.ā€"

cp16:1.4: paramasīlasamāhito.
focused on the highest ethics,
cp16:2.1: Ramme padese ramaį¹‡Ä«ye,
There was a pleasant, delightful region,

One line ends with a comma, next line starts with a capital.

Either keep the comma and start the next line with a lower case, or keep the capital and end the previous line with a period.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum :slightly_smiling_face:.

The english summary of SN 22.136 is ā€œThe aggregates are like hot coals.ā€ Shouldnā€™t it be ā€œThe aggregates are like burning chuffā€?

Thank you.

2 Likes

mn76:21.3 ā€œthey encountersā€

Ajahn @Brahmali ā€¦ there appears to be a misplaced pair of brackets in the bhikkhuā€™s pācittiya 1, segments 2.7.4 to 2.7.7

MN76 segment 21.3

ā€¦ they gets no almsfood ā€¦ they encounters a wild elephant ā€¦

1 Like

When printing from the site the last line gets half cut off and then is reprinted on the next page, also half cut off. This seems to be consistent on many printers. Can we update the print css file to fix this?

1 Like

You have recently changed your translation for brāhma and related terms to ā€œdivineā€. The title of Iti 100 is still ā€œThe Holy Offering of the Teachingā€ for brāhmaį¹‡adhammayāga, which is also the name of the entire chapter.

Youā€™ve also changed all ā€œdemonsā€ to ā€œtitansā€, but in DN 30:2.27.15 there are still demons left.

AN4.203:1.2: sappurisaƱca, sappurisena sappurisataraƱca. Taį¹ suį¹‡Ätha ā€¦peā€¦.
a true person and a better person.

I think this should be ā€œa true person and an even truer personā€.

1 Like

Hi Tom, they are not actually misplaced, but perhaps used a bit awkwardly. They replace the quotes in the Pali text, which are even more awkward. The point is that this is not really part of the non-offence clause, but more of a commentary on it. Perhaps a better solution would be to indent it. What do you think?

Hi Ajahn @Brahmali, it is a strange one. Something like that should be in the definitions section of the rule??

Iā€™ve got an ā€œaddā€ class that greys out the text a bit and places square brackets around it for such situations but I donā€™t know if you have an equivalent on Sutta Central.

1 Like

I cannot make changes to the htlm, and so this would be Bhante @Sujatoā€™s department. Bhante, is there a nice way setting apart segments 2.7.4 to 2.7.7 (of bhikkhu pācittiya 1) so that we can get rid of the awkward parentheses?

Mn 93:

Theyā€™d first feed the student who was an educated reciter. For how could an offering to someone who not an educated reciter be very fruitful?ā€

Should say ā€œwho is notā€

2 Likes

The phrase

Taį¹ ve devā tāvatiį¹sā,
āhu sappuriso itÄ«ā€ti.

is translated ā€œthe gods of the Thirty-Three say they really are a true personā€ in SN 11.11 and SN 11.13, while in SN 11.12 it is ā€œthe gods of the Thirty-Three call them really a true personā€.

The same thing is sometimes called ā€œjudgmentā€, sometimes ā€œjudgementā€.

Why is nāga in Cp not translated as ā€œdragonā€?

Bhojaputto is translated ā€œof the Bhoja peopleā€ in SN 2.26:3.1, whereas in AN 4.45:4.1 it is ā€œson of Bhojaā€.

Hi,

With reference to your note in the Tevijjasutta (DN 13) re the Addhariya brahmins. I think Addhariya is probably Aitareya.

Identified in Jayatillekeā€™s Early Buddhist Theory of Knowledge, p. 480. Their texts are respectively: Śatapathabrāhmaį¹‡a (incl. Bį¹›hadāraį¹‡yaka Upaniį¹£ad); TaittirÄ«yabrāhmaį¹‡a; Chāndogyabrāhmaį¹‡a; and Bahvį¹›cabrāhmaį¹‡a (incorporated in Aitareya and Kauśītaki). I use the variant bavhadija since it is closest to the Sanskrit bahvį¹›ca. This is the only time the Pali canon mentions these schools.

In his A History of pre-Buddhistic Indian Philosophy, the Indian scholar Dr. Benimadhab Barua certainly takes Addhariya to be Aitareya.

That would mean Buddha lists two Rgvedic schools, a Krishna Yajurveda school and a Samaveda school, which fits the tevijjānaį¹ - but not inclusion of the Shukla Yajurveda, which contains the Śatapathabrāhmaį¹‡a - unless the Bahvį¹›cabrāhmaį¹‡a contained the Bį¹›hadāraį¹‡yaka Upaniį¹£ad, which ā€¦ maybe could be possible.

The Aitareyopaniį¹£ad is embedded within the Bahvį¹›ca-Brāhmaį¹‡a Upaniį¹£ad (or Mahā-Aitareya Upaniį¹£ad) of the Aitareya Āraį¹‡yaka, true, but the Bahvį¹›ca-Brāhmaį¹‡a Upaniį¹£ad is not listed in traditional lists of the Upaniį¹£ads. Just the Aitareyopaniį¹£ad, which is one of the principal Upaniį¹£ads.

If only my mind was freedā€¦

Should be were

In AN 7.71 and SN 22.101, among others.

cp22:3.3: Ārāmaį¹ mālāvacchaƱca,
He made a living by cultivating
cp22:3.4: ropayitvāna jīvati.
and orchard and flowering shrubs.

Should be an orchard?

cp22:5.4: jÄ«vitavuttikāraį¹‡Ä.
for the sake of making a living.

Even if the Pali doesnā€™t have it, I think there should be a closing (single) quote mark at the end of this segment. The next segment continues with something different.

cp23:7.3: Rajjesu yadi rajjāmi,
if I desired kingships,

Does ā€œkingshipā€ have a plural?

cp24:5.4: yadi kāme na bhuƱjasiā€™.
since you do not long for sensual pleasures?ā€

Single quote mark, not double.

cp26:9.2: sāgareva thalaį¹ labhiį¹;
I was like one lost a sea reaching the shore.

Lost in a sea?

cp29:7.4: kathaį¹ me ajja kātave.
How should I act today?ā€™

I believe the quote should only close at segment 8.4.

cp30:4.3: Sacce į¹­hatvā pamocesiį¹,
Satnding in the truth,

Itā€™s probably ā€œstandingā€.

cp33:1.1: ā€œSāmo yadā vane āsiį¹,
ā€œWhen in a wood I was Sāma the black,

That would be ā€œBlack the blackā€?

1 Like