Make a rainbow fall at our feet šŸŒˆ tell us about our mistakes, typos, and other oversights

Thanks for letting us know what we can improve! :pray:

When it comes to legacy translationsā€”i.e. translations that we have inherited from elsewhereā€”corrections will be limited to obvious typos and mistakes. While we try to source the best quality work we can, itā€™s not our job to edit or correct other peoplesā€™ translations.

• We do not make any changes to the original language texts in Pali, Sanskrit, etc. The only exception is occasional details of punctuation, markup, and the like, but not the actual text itself.
  • For website bugs, best open a new thread, as they can sometimes be a bit complex to figure out.
14 Likes

an8.29:13.6 themselves ā†’ themself ?

DN8:15.4: Ayaį¹ vuccati, kassapa, bhikkhu samaį¹‡o itipi brāhmaį¹‡o itipi.
When they achieve this, theyā€™re called a mendicant who is a ā€˜true asceticā€™ and also ā€˜a true brahminā€™.

Close segment with double closing quote, or else ellipses and then double closing quote. The part of the Buddhaā€™s speech that has been translated ends here.

The same again in segment 16.12.

2 Likes

Both are correct. We decided stylistically to use ā€œthemselvesā€ in such cases, but I suspect ā€œthemselfā€ will become the standard form over the next decade or so. Maybe weā€™ll update it then.

Thanks, fixed.

2 Likes

Oh, my bad. Thanks, Iā€™ve now fixed this for German.

And I still found the following:

Ye ca arÅ«paį¹­į¹­hāyino is translated ā€œand others stuck in the formlessā€ in Iti 73 and ā€œand others established in the formlessā€ in SN 5.4 and SN 5.6.

It has not been done so far.

Hmm ā€¦ I still see ā€œAuthorā€, and I donā€™t see the translation for yena mayaį¹ bhotā brahmunā nimmitā in DN 24:2.7.18 and DN 1:2.6.7.

As to Pajapati, he doesnā€™t appear in this context? Am I missing something?

I only see the word ā€œprogenitorā€ in MN 1 and MN 49. In other texts where Pajapati appears, like for example SN 11.3, the name is untranslated.

Nor can I now ā€¦ :thinking: :person_shrugging:

Well in some cases it is simply not expanded further, so in such cases the quote has to close here.

The MS is inconsistent in its punctuation, but I think in dn3 it gets it right.

I donā€™t see a ti after satthā devamanussānaį¹ buddho bhagavā in DN 3.

So, this was my revision of your revision. :smile: Thank you so much for always explaining your choices in these threads. Itā€™s very helpful for me, and certainly for other translators too! :pray:

I have also posted some feedback to the notes here, not sure if you saw this. Perhaps in the future we should collect all these things in one place.

1 Like

Itā€™s an interesting case. In the ā€œstuckā€ versions, we then have a reversed verse that speaks of those ā€œnot stuckā€, whereas in the ā€œestablishedā€ versions the negative verse is not found. But itā€™s only with the negative version that makes clear it must mean ā€œattachedā€, not simply ā€œreborn intoā€. Iā€™ll make them all"stuck".

punctuation

satthā devamanussānaį¹ buddho bhagavā.ā€™

Let me know if I have messed up any of these cases.

Iā€™ll look at them, thanks, but you can post all corrections here, that was more of an overview discussion.

[quote=ā€œsabbamitta, post:6, topic:29204ā€]

[quote=ā€œsujato, post:264, topic:26960ā€]

I think I have fixed all these cases now.

I think I have it now!

No, just explaining my thought process! Use Progenitor throughout.

1 Like

With the change of yoniso to ā€œrationalā€ I see a number of instances in AN 6.58 where ā€œreflecting rationallyā€ is in lowercase at the beginning of a sentence (perhaps elsewhere too?).

Thanks, Iā€™ve checked for . reflect and "reflect, I think I have them all.

1 Like

ud5.3:13.1: ā€œCakkhumā visamānÄ«va,
ā€œAs a well-sighted man would avoid rough paths,

Thereā€™s still a ā€œwell-sighted manā€ left for cakkhumā. Itā€™s in verse however, so it may even be intentional.

Finding some more:

AN4.192:11.1: Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, cakkhumā puriso udakarahadassa tÄ«re į¹­hito passeyya mahantaį¹ macchaį¹ ummujjamānaį¹.
Suppose a man with good eyesight was standing on the bank of a lake. Heā€™d see a big fish rising,

iti44:5.1: ā€œDuve imā cakkhumatā pakāsitā,
ā€œThese two elements of extinguishment have been made clear
iti44:5.2: Nibbānadhātū anissitena tādinā;
by the seer, the unattached, the poised.

SNp1.9:8.5: Kacci dhammesu cakkhumāā€.
Does his eye sees clearly in all things?ā€

Does his eye see clearly in all things.

AN10.84:15.1: So vatāvuso, bhikkhu ā€˜ime dasa dhamme appahāya imasmiį¹ dhammavinaye vuddhiį¹ virÅ«įø·hiį¹ vepullaį¹ āpajjissatÄ«ā€™ti netaį¹ į¹­hānaį¹ vijjati.
Itā€™s quite possible for a mendicant to achieve growth, improvement, or maturity in this teaching and training without giving up these ten qualities.

Quite impossible.

I also see some instances of ā€œit is quite possibleā€ that start with a lowercase at the beginning of a sentence.

AN5.151:2.3: Na kathaį¹ paribhoti, na kathikaį¹ paribhoti, na attānaį¹ paribhoti, avikkhittacitto dhammaį¹ suį¹‡Äti, ekaggacitto yoniso ca manasi karoti.
They donā€™t disparage the talk, the speaker, or themselves. They listen with unscattered and unified mind. They attend properly.

Shouldnā€™t it be ā€œattend rationallyā€?

Thanks, Iā€™ve fixed these all I think.

Hhm, yes, but TBH I am getting more dissatisfied with the ā€œattentionā€ part. In a case like this or say an2.125 & 6, what it really means is to ā€œapply the teachings internally through rational or systematic introspectionā€. None of the renderings Iā€™ve seen really capture this at all. Let me think about it some more.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s not an easy one. After a first impulse of following your change to ā€œrationalā€ Iā€™ve then stepped back because I donā€™t see a real improvement to what I currently have in German. And itā€™s many files! Unlike you I canā€™t just change them with a few clicks with Regexā€”firstly because I donā€™t master Regex, and secondly because German grammar is so much more complex, compared to English, so that I really have to check each instance individually.

Currently I have ā€œgrĆ¼ndlichā€ for yoniso (meaning ā€œthoroughlyā€, ā€œgoing to the groundā€) and ā€œoberflƤchlichā€ (ā€œsuperficiallyā€) for ayoniso. Iā€™ll leave it until I really have something that is more convincing than that. The change will probably keep me busy for a couple of days.

How about ā€œthorough considerationā€ and ā€œshallow considerationā€? Just thinking aloud, nothing definitive.

And as an aside, when we start the ā€œBilara roadmapā€, the single most useful feature for me at the moment would be to be notified about changes you make to the English translation. Currently I have set GitHub notifications so that I am notified about your changes going from ā€œunpublishedā€ to ā€œpublishedā€. But as these change messages always include all the automatic changes (each time again!), I currently have to scroll through 55 Sutta files just for no change at all in order to find the one little detail that has in fact been changed; and then I might even miss it in this mass.

For the notes itā€™s even worse, as there is almost no note that doesnā€™t quote a Pali word where there will then be the automatic Nilakkhana adaptation.

2 Likes

For the moment it would already help if youā€™d publish and update the notes Nikaya-wise. :pray:

1 Like

Comment DN 2:96.1:

Pāsāda is often translated as ā€œpalaceā€™ or ā€œmansionā€, but in early Pali it meant a ā€œstilt longhouseā€. As here, it is an elevated place from which one can observe the street below.

ā€œPalaceā€ has double quote at the beginning and single quote at the end.

The words sukheti and pÄ«į¹‡eti are sometimes rendered ā€œmake themselves happy and pleasedā€, sometimes ā€œbring happiness and joy to themselvesā€, etc.

Ariyena sÄ«lakkhandhena is sometimes translated ā€œentire spectrum of noble ethicsā€, sometimes ā€œnoble spectrum of ethicsā€. In AN 4.198 for example we find both variants in the same Sutta.

In the list of psychic powers, ā€œappearing and disappearingā€ seems to be sometimes lacking. The Pali is often abbreviated, so I would take it that itā€™s meant to be the complete list each time.

DN3:1.12.3: ā€œcaį¹‡įøÄ, bho gotama, sakyajāti;
ā€œMaster Gotama, the Sakyan clan are rude,

The noun is singular, the verb is plural. You can of course say ā€œthe members of the Sakyan clanā€, then it is plural, but the clan as such is singular.

I am not sure how this is handled in English, but in German the verb would be singular here.

Clicking on these footnotes doesnā€™t do anything:

Itā€™s not a note, itā€™s a counter.

1 Like

I plan to continue as I have been, publishing notes per sutta. But the updated Bilara should come on line in 2 or 3 months.

fixed.

Use ā€œmake themselves happy and pleasedā€ altho I donā€™t really like it TBH.

It is the ethics that are noble, not the spectrum, so ā€œentire spectrum of noble ethicsā€

So youā€™re saying ā€¦ that phrase appears and disappears???

Just say ā€œSakyansā€.

1 Like

Looking forward to see this!!!

We also find the ā€œnoble spectrum of immersionā€ and the ā€œnoble spectrum of wisdomā€ in DN 10 (and elsewhere?). And I am not sure where the ā€œentireā€ comes fromā€”do you take khandha as ā€œentire spectrumā€? Perhaps ā€œspectrumā€ would be enough. At some point itā€™s about this spectrum being ā€œcompleteā€ (paripuį¹‡į¹‡a), perhaps the ā€œentireā€ crept in from there?

The sentence Seyyathāpi, bhante, dakkho goghātako vā goghātakantevāsÄ« vā tiį¹‡hena govikantanena kucchiį¹ parikanteyya; evamevaį¹ kho me, bhante, adhimattā vātā kucchiį¹ parikantanti is translated ā€œThe winds slicing my belly are so severe, like a deft butcher or their apprentice were slicing open a cowsā€™s belly with a meat cleaverā€ in MN 144.

Everywhere else (MN 143, MN 97, SN 35.87, and AN 6.56) the word ā€œopenā€ appears twice:

The winds slicing my belly are so severe, like a deft butcher or their apprentice were slicing open a cowsā€™s belly open with a meat cleaver.

SN21.3:6.1: ā€˜Sāriputtova paƱƱāya,
ā€˜In wisdom,
SN21.3:6.2: *sīlena upasamena ca;
ethics, and peace,
SN21.3:6.3: Yopi pāraį¹…gato bhikkhu,
any mendicant who has crossed over
SN21.3:6.4: etāvaparamo siyāā€™ā€ti.
can at best equal Sāriputta.ā€™ā€

This verse in praise of Venerable Sāriputta is rendered in different ways. One way is in SN 21.3, and another way in SN 1.48, SN 2.20, and MN 143.

MN143:17.15: Sāriputtova paƱƱāya,
Sāriputta has true wisdom,
MN143:17.16: sīlena upasamena ca;
ethics, and also peace.
MN143:17.17: Yopi pāraį¹…gato bhikkhu,
Any mendicant who has crossed over
MN143:17.18: etāvaparamo siyāā€ti.
can at best equal him.ā€

And it seems in Thag 20.1 we find yet another version:

Thag20.1:43.1: ā€œSāriputtova paƱƱāya,
ā€œSāriputta, the monk who has crossed over,
Thag20.1:43.2: sīlena upasamena ca;
may be supreme
Thag20.1:43.3: Yopi pāraį¹…gato bhikkhu,
in respect of his wisdom,
Thag20.1:43.4: etāvaparamo siyā.
ethics, and peace.

Mahatā bhikkhusaį¹…ghena saddhiį¹ paƱcamattehi bhikkhusatehi is sometimes ā€œa large Saį¹…gha of five hundred mendicantsā€, sometimes itā€™s ā€œa large Saį¹…gha of around five hundred mendicantsā€.

In DN16 I find this part a little jarring:

You should neither approve nor dismiss that mendicantā€™s statement. Instead, having carefully memorized those words and phrases, they should fit in the discourse and be exhibited in the training.
If they do not fit in the discourse and are not exhibited in the training, you should draw the conclusion:

I think the key problem is the ā€œtheyā€. It reads like ā€œhaving carefully memorized ā€¦ theyā€. So the ā€œtheyā€ seems to be the person doing the memorizing, not the words and phases. You could say:

Instead you should carefully memorize those words and phrases. They should fit in the discourseā€¦

I note that Bhikkhu Ānandajoti uses quite a few more words. Perhaps a few more are needed to make it read smoothly.

Hmm, how about:

Instead, having carefully memorized those words and phrases, you should make sure they fit in the discourse and are exhibited in the training.

Thanks, fixed.

It seems that the initial rendering in thag followed Normanā€™s interpretation, which reads the verse very differently. It takes the pāraį¹…gato bhikkhu as referring to _Sāriputto, whereas Bodhiā€™s translation, following the commentary, treats the halves of the stanza as co-ordinated phrases. That yields a better sense. Revised translation:

Sāriputta is full of wisdom,
ethics, and peace.
Even a mendicant who has crossed over
might at best equal him.

Hmm, leave out the editorializing ā€œaroundā€, it is not necessary.

1 Like