Bring the happiness that most people only dream about: tell us our mistakes

There is still this occurrence in Iti 34:

iti34:3.6: phuṭṭhuṁ sambodhimuttamaṁ.
of touching the highest awakening.

which occurs a few times in the Iti (34, 79, 80, 110), as well as in AN 4.11.

Hirī and ottappa are usually translated “conscience” and “prudence”. In some blurbs, for example to Iti 42, there’s still “shame” and “compunction”.

English typo in SuttaCentral

They have no biasses, and are not dogmatic.

biasses → biases

2 Likes

iti44:7.1: Ayampi attho vutto bhagavatā, iti me sutanti.

English translation for the last sentence is lacking.

iti47:2.1: “Jāgaro cassa, bhikkhave, bhikkhu vihareyya sato sampajāno samāhito pamudito vippasanno ca tattha kālavipassī ca kusalesu dhammesu.
“Meditate wakeful, mendicants, mindful and aware, joyful and clear, and at times discern the skillful qualities in that state.

Should be “a mendicant should meditate wakeful”.

iti50:2.4: imāni kho, bhikkhave, tīṇi akusalamūlānī”ti.
These are the three unskillful roots. ”

Remove space between period and closing quotes.

iti61:2.3: Maṁsacakkhu, dibbacakkhu, paññācakkhu—
the eye of the flesh, the eye of clairvoyance, and the eye of wisdom.

Start sentence with capital.

iti68:2.4: ayaṁ vuccati, bhikkhave, ‘abaddho mārassa omukkassa mārapāso na yathākāmakaraṇīyo pāpimato’”ti.
is said to be free. They’re caught in Māra’s snare, and the Wicked One can do with them what he wants.”

This doesn’t make sense. They are not caught in Māra’s snare, and the Wicked One cannot do with them what he wants.

iti76:2.3: Pasaṁsā me āgacchatūti sīlaṁ rakkheyya paṇḍito, bhogā me uppajjantūti sīlaṁ rakkheyya paṇḍito, kāyassa bhedā paraṁ maraṇā sugatiṁ saggaṁ lokaṁ upapajjissāmīti sīlaṁ rakkheyya paṇḍito.
“May I be be praised!” “May I become rich!” “When my body breaks up, after death, may I be reborn in a good place, a heavenly realm!”

Use single quote marks—it’s inside a quote.

iti76:3.1: “Sīlaṁ rakkheyya medhāvī,
Wishing for three kinds of happiness—

Opening quote at beginning of verse is lacking.

The term mahantaṁ vītasāradaṁ is usually translated “great of heart and rid of naivety”, but in Iti 82 it’s “a great one, rid of naivety”.

iti83:4.1: Suladdhalābhaṁ labhitvā suppatiṭṭhito bhavāhī’”ti.
When you have been blessed with good fortune, may you become well grounded!’

Add double closing quote after single closing quote. And the same in segment 18.4.

iti84:5.2: Tassanvayo sāvako bhāvitatto;
following whom is the disciple of developed self,

Hmm … this seems to suggest that this disciple has developed their “self”. This seems a bit at odds with the teaching of not-self, doesn’t it? Is there no other way of deriving bhāvitatto?

iti85:2.2: ānāpānassati ca vo ajjhattaṁ parimukhaṁ sūpaṭṭhitā hotu;
Let mindfulness of breathing be well-established internally in front of you

Add period.

iti94:2.1: “Tathā tathā, bhikkhave, bhikkhu upaparikkheyya yathā yathāssa upaparikkhato bahiddhā cassa viññāṇaṁ avikkhittaṁ avisaṭaṁ ajjhattaṁ asaṇṭhitaṁ anupādāya na paritasseyya.
“Mendicants, a mendicant should examine in any such a way that their consciousness is neither scattered and diffused externally nor stuck internally, and they are not anxious because of grasping.

Saṇṭhita is here translated “stuck”, while elsewhere in similar contexts it is “constricted”; mainly in SN 51, but also in SN 47.10 and AN 7.38 und AN 7.39. Vikkhitta in the same context is sometimes “distracted”, sometimes “scattered” (both variants in SN 51.20).

iti97:6.1: Iti kalyāṇasīlo kalyāṇadhammo kalyāṇapañño imasmiṁ dhammavinaye ‘kevalī vusitavā uttamapuriso’ti vuccatī”ti.
Such is one of good morals, good practice, and good wisdom, who in this teaching and training is called consummate, accomplished, a supreme person.

Closing quote lacking.

In Iti 99, the English translation alternates between present and past tense: When the knowledges are described, it’s present tense, “it’s when a mendicant …”, and in the summaries, there’s past tense, “this was the first knowledge …”. I am not sure if this is also in the Pali. In English it sounds confusing.

Putto oraso or puttā orasā is sometimes translated “true-born child”, sometimes “rightful child(ren)” (or “rightful sons”, in the case of brahmins).

2 Likes

Hello everyone

There is a typo in Dn33 also in an8.29, dn34

Puna caparaṁ, āvuso, tathāgato ca loke na uppanno hoti arahaṁ sammāsambuddho,

Furthermore, a Realized One has arisen in the world. - but should be negative.

2 Likes

Mn137
Tatra, bhikkhave, tathāgato attamano ceva hoti, attamanatañca paṭisaṁvedeti, anavassuto ca viharati sato sampajāno.

In this case the Realized One is not pleased, he does not feel pleasure. He remains unaffected, mindful and aware.

Should be… or something like that

In this case the Realized One is pleased, he does feel pleasure. He remains unaffected, mindful and aware.

1 Like

:pray: Has been fixed for German, thanks!

iti103:3.2: te kho me, bhikkhave, samaṇā vā brāhmaṇā vā samaṇesu ceva samaṇasammatā brāhmaṇesu ca brāhmaṇasammatā, te ca panāyasmanto sāmaññatthañca brahmaññatthañca diṭṭheva dhamme sayaṁ abhiññā sacchikatvā upasampajja viharantī”ti.
iti103:3.3: Etamatthaṁ bhagavā avoca.
iti103:3.4: Tatthetaṁ iti vuccati:

Three segments have not been translated.

iti103:4.4: asesaṁ uparujjhati;
cease with nothing left over;
iti103:4.5: Tañca maggaṁ na jānanti,
And they don’t know the path

Either close first sentence with period or start new one with lowercase.

iti104:2.9: Evarūpā ca te, bhikkhave, bhikkhū satthārotipi vuccanti, satthavāhātipi vuccanti, raṇañjahātipi vuccanti, tamonudātipi vuccanti, ālokakarātipi vuccanti, obhāsakarātipi vuccanti, pajjotakarātipi vuccanti, ukkādhārātipi vuccanti, pabhaṅkarātipi vuccanti, ariyātipi vuccanti, cakkhumantotipi vuccantī”ti.
Such mendicants are called ‘teachers’, ‘leaders of the caravan’, ‘vice-discarders’, ‘dispellers of darkness’, ‘bringers of light’, ‘luminaries’, ‘lamps’, ‘candlebearers’, ‘beacons’, ‘noble ones’, and ‘seers’.

Add double closing quote.

iti104:2.7: Taṁ kissa hetu?

“Why is this?” should be added here.

iti110:2.2: Tañce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu adhivāseti nappajahati na vinodeti na byantīkaroti na anabhāvaṁ gameti.
They tolerate it and don’t give it up, get rid of it, eliminate it, and obliterate it. Such a mendicant is said to be ‘not keen or prudent, always lazy, and lacking energy’ when walking.
iti110:2.3: Carampi, bhikkhave, bhikkhu evaṁbhūto anātāpī anottāpī satataṁ samitaṁ kusīto hīnavīriyoti vuccati.

The two segments have been combined in English, although the Pali has them separate. The same further down for segments 5.2-3. In the parallel passage at AN 4.11, the segments are separate in both root and translation.

Still further down, when the positive side is discussed, the segments are separate in both languages in Iti 110 too.

Missing a close quote here:

ETA:

It seems that there may be 10 more in the Thag. I’m guessing you don’t need me to tell you all of them.

I don’t know if it matters, but this problem may have happened in this PR: https://github.com/suttacentral/bilara-data/tree/published/html/pl

Is there a word for the feeling you get when you see that you may not be the only one who botches things up using regex?

2 Likes

In mn-guide-sujato, line 46 in Bilara, it says:

The Buddha’s father is briefly mentioned in the above passage on meditation as a child

But this passage comes only further down, so it should be “the below passage”.

Dear,

Thanks a lot for the huge work in the complete Sutta Translation by Ajhan Sujato Bhikkhu.

There has been a mistranslation in the SN, found during my reading.

https://suttacentral.net/sn10.1/en/sujato?layout=linebyline&reference=main&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

The word should be showed “Nails”, instead of “teeth.”

Pli: kesā lomā “Nakhapi ca”

SN>Part 1:Verse> YakkhaSamyutta (Spirit): with Indaka

Pics enclosed fyi.
Just trying to give a hand…
Again, Much appreciated the work.

Thx.
พระสุจีตโต

2 Likes

‘makkaṭiyā’ is mistranslated as ‘woman’ in three lines:

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pj1/en/brahmali?layout=linebyline&reference=main&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin#6.30

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pj1/en/brahmali?layout=linebyline&reference=main&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin#6.31

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-pj1/en/brahmali?layout=linebyline&reference=main&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin#6.32

5 Likes

Good catch! cc Ajahn @Brahmali

1 Like

Thanks for this! It’s already been changed on bilara (the translation software), but has not yet made its way through to SuttaCentral. Still, please keep it coming!

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ve just corrected it for German. :+1:

mn22:15.4 has “regard … like this”, so I’m guessing mn22:15.11 and 16.9 need “regard this” → “regard like this”.

DN1:1.31.10: “yathā sassato attā ca loko ca vañjho kūṭaṭṭho esikaṭṭhāyiṭṭhito;
“The self and the cosmos are eternal, barren, steady as a mountain peak, standing firm like a pillar.
DN1:1.31.11: te ca sattā sandhāvanti saṁsaranti cavanti upapajjanti, atthi tveva sassatisaman”’ti.
They remain the same for all eternity, while these sentient beings wander and transmigrate and pass away and rearise.’

Double and single closing quote.

@Brahmali

Hello, bhante :pray: In the khandhakas, in the discussion on the bhattagga, there is a missing negator.

he should lift up his robe while walking in inhabited areas;
Na ukkhittakāya antaraghare gantabbaṁ.

This should be:

“He should not lift up his robe while walking in inhabited areas.”

Mettā

1 Like

Thanks, Venerable! This too has already been changed in bilara. I realise I need to update what’s showing on SuttaCentral. In about a week’s time the latest version should appear. In any case, please keep reporting anything dodgy! Thanks, again.

1 Like

DN24:2.17.2: ahamasmi brahmā mahābrahmā abhibhū anabhibhūto aññadatthudaso vasavattī issaro kattā nimmātā seṭṭho sajitā vasī pitā bhūtabhabyānaṁ, mayā ime sattā nimmitā.
“I am Brahmā, the Great Brahmā, the Undefeated, the Champion, the Universal Seer, the Wielder of Power, God Almighty, the Maker, the Author, the First, the Begetter, the Controller, the Father of those who have been born and those yet to be born.

DN24:2.17.18: “yo kho so bhavaṁ brahmā mahābrahmā abhibhū anabhibhūto aññadatthudaso vasavattī issaro kattā nimmātā seṭṭho sajitā vasī pitā bhūtabhabyānaṁ, yena mayaṁ bhotā brahmunā nimmitā. So nicco dhuvo sassato avipariṇāmadhammo sassatisamaṁ tatheva ṭhassati.
“He who is Brahmā—the Great Brahmā, the Undefeated, the Champion, the Universal Seer, the Wielder of Power, God Almighty, the Maker, the Author, the First, the Begetter, the Controller, the Father of those who have been born and those yet to be born—is permanent, everlasting, eternal, imperishable, remaining the same for all eternity.

Mayā ime sattā nimmitā and yena mayaṁ bhotā brahmunā nimmitā respectively are lacking in translation. The second one is also lacking in DN 1:2.6.7.

b*ll*cks-freude

(with apologies to schadenfreude)

4 Likes

Unexpected interface behaviour:
When the right hand side (three dot) menu is open it doesn’t resize if/when the browser is resized.