Make us happy: tell us about our mistakes, errors, and typos

Oops, thanks!

Sure. Hmm, I’ll think about it. "Nanda’s mother from Veḷukaṇṭa” sounds a bit clumsy.

Yes, I’ll get on to this right away.

It turns out the extra verse is found in the Pali text of the Mahasangiti edition. It is acknowledged in the commentary, which says the two verses were spoken on different occasions but have the same meaning. The PTS and BJT editions, however, lack the extra verse, as does Norman’s translation. It confused me, too!

1 Like

Did you see this, Bhante @Sujato?

In the same sutta:

And he asked them that question, by they were stumped by it,

should be:
but they were stumped by it.

“Even those ascetics and brahmins who elderly and senior,

Should be:
“Even those ascetics and brahmins who are elderly and senior,

such an one is rightly called ‘ascetic’.

Should be:
such a one is rightly called ‘ascetic’.

1 Like

Thag20.1:44.4: Vasībhūtomhi iddhiyā.
I’m a master of physic powers.

Are you saying, Moggallāna was an early Einstein?

Thanks, I’ve fixed these.

Lol, fixed.

1 Like

Actually, a physic is a laxative. Which is indeed something Einstein might have needed in his later years. I thought for sure this typo had been brought up before. Might be worth scanning the whole DB.

1 Like

I can’t recall. Sometimes there are ghost corrections, you think you fixed it and it comes back to haunt you. I believe that’s what they call the “ghost in the machine”?

But typically when I fix these mistakes I check through all my translations for similar cases.

3 Likes

On the eighth day I stretched out my feet,
Thig3.2: SuttaCentral

Again to Mahāmoggallāna: Segment thag20.1:69.6 Saṭṭhinipāto niṭṭhito is not translated. Usually, the end-of-book phrases are translated, aren’t they?

A friend pointed me to a typo in the blurb to AN 8.5:

The eight worldly conditions in brief: pain and loss, fame and disgrace, praise and blame, pleasure and pain.

A bit too much pain, perhaps …

Venerable Mahākaccāna’s repetition of the verse is translated differently from the original:

tireless all night and day,
Taṁ ve bhaddekarattoti,

not slacking off by night or day,
Taṁ ve bhaddekarattoti,
MN133: SuttaCentral

Sorry Mike, what’s the problem with that?

Yes, they should be, thanks.

Well, that’s life. Anyway, fixed.

I’ve made sure they’re all the same. Also I decided to add the verses to MN 132.

1 Like

I guess the problem is that my spelling is poor… :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Good reminder that error reports really shoud be in the format of what it says + what it should say
The very nature of typos is that they are easy to miss. So just posting the what it says part is not always clear.

1 Like

MN53:
The Buddha spent most of the night educating, encouraging, firing up, and inspiring the Sakyans with a Dhamma talk. Then he addressed Venerable Ānanda,
Atha kho bhagavā kāpilavatthave sakye bahudeva rattiṁ dhammiyā kathāya sandassetvā samādapetvā samuttejetvā sampahaṁsetvā āyasmantaṁ ānandaṁ āmantesi:

SuttaCentral translator/dictionary:

sandassetvā

absolutive

1. having pointed out; having explained

To educate is a very broad term, it includes all the actions listed above and more. So I think “having explained” would be a better translation of sandassetvā.

1 Like

For Ajahn @Brahmali or Bhante @sujato (not sure who wrote the Vinaya blurbs):

The blurb to Pvr 3 reads:

Summarizes the rules and their orins in verse form. Begins with a set of verses on the Dhamma.

Should be “the rules and their origins”.

Blurb to Pvr 21:

Vinaya topics divided into the validity or formal acts; the reasons for Vinaya; the kinds of procedure entailed; reasons for the procedures; and a nine-fold system of classification.

Is this correct, or should it be “divided into the validity of formal acts”?

1 Like

Thanks, @Sabbamitta. This must be Bhante @Sujato’s work. I can’t recall writing this.

1 Like

AN10.94:4.5: “Na kho, bhante, bhagavā sabbaṁ tapaṁ garahati napi sabbaṁ tapassiṁ lūkhājīviṁ ekaṁsena upakkosati upavadati.
“No, sirs, the ascetic Gotama does not criticize all forms of mortification. Nor does he categorically condemn and denounce those self-mortifiers who live rough.

The householder Vajjiyamāhita doesn’t refer to “the ascetic Gotama”, but to “the Buddha”.

Thanks I’ve fixed these.

Lol, I can’t remember writing half the things I’ve written. But anyway I’ll fix it.

Maybe, but the problem, as so often, is that Pali has many synonyms or quasi-synonyms. The main thing is that the cluster of terms as a whole conveys the right idea, which I think it does.

2 Likes

I know you don’t make changes to legacy translations for errors, but I wonder if you would consider taking one down. The Horner translation of MN61 (SuttaCentral) contains an error in the “Having Done Mental Deeds” section, the same one that is unfortunately also in the Wisdom print edition.

this deed of mind was unskilled, its yield anguish, its result anguish’, such a deed of your mind, Rāhula, should be confessed, disclosed, declared to the Teacher or to intelligent Brahma-farers so that, confessed, disclosed and declared, it would induce restraint in the future.

1 Like

sorry, could you be more specific?