Manuka honey in MN 77?

I don’t know Pali well but I’m doubtful that there is manuka honey in India as the manuka tree is only found in Australasia. What is the original Pali for this phrase ?

“Whatever the Buddha teaches, we shall listen to it.” It’s like when there’s a person at the crossroads pressing out pure manuka honey, and a large crowd is poised on the edge of their seats. "

2 Likes

If you enable the Pali-English view you can directly see it:

Bildschirmfoto%20vom%202018-06-27%2008-37-17

3 Likes

“khuddamadhum”

madhu; honey
khuddaka ; honey made by a kind of small bees

I can’t think of an alternative…

2 Likes

Ha! Mānuka the a Māori word used for the plant in New Zealand, though the plant did originate in Australia…

New Zealand honey producers have been trying to assert ownership of the name…

3 Likes

Maybe it was flown over to Australia by a psychic monk trailing a cloud a small :honeybee: from the Ganges valley!

4 Likes

Names :slight_smile: are part of language. Trees are part of nature. Both evolve, adapt, adopt.

Maybe the tree whispered its choice of name, thinking of sitting in a past life by that crossroads, sorry for the bees, glad for the honey.

4 Likes

An attentive reader of my translations will notice an occasional nod to my antipodean background.

What a beautiful thought!

6 Likes

This sound like the Ügg Boots" court case.
What was the outcome?

In a hundred years this passage will be cited as support of the ‘Buddha lived in Australia’ theory. He stopped over in Sri Lanka on the way of course.

7 Likes

I don’t see any value in adding in the manuka when it is clear it is not. Perhaps the word would best be left as honey.

5 Likes