Markup issues in MN suttas

@vimala, I just just noticed that some of the Majjhima translations have some mistakes in the markup. I’m not sure of the exact process for adding these, so I’ll raise it with you first. But I am quite happy to fix them if you’d prefer.

Check out

At the very bottom, we have:

<p class="endsutta">Thus spoke the Lord. Delighted, these monks rejoiced in what the Lord had said.</p>
<p>Discourse on All the Cankers: the Second.</p>

Which should of course be:

<p>Thus spoke the Lord. Delighted, these monks rejoiced in what the Lord had said.</p>
<p class="endsutta">Discourse on All the Cankers: the Second.</p>

Moreover, just above this the paragraphing is incorrect. This seems to inherit the highly eccentric system on Obo. We have, for example:

<p>in whatever monk those cankers to be got rid of by control are got rid of by control,</p>
<p>in whatever monk those cankers to be got rid of by use are got rid of by use,</p>

Obviously, no paragraph can end with a comma. In the same text, paragraphs sometimes end with a semicolon, too.

Other issues include:

• Quote marks are sometimes incorrect, using ‘straight quotes’ instead of ‘proper quotes’.
  • Use of dash is incorrect, it has hyphen instead of em-dash. (eg. ‘Simply by not-self am I aware of self’-the view …)

This is just on an initial glance. Clearly we need better quality control of these. If Brother Joe can do it, great, otherwise it would be good to find someone else, so you don’t have to worry about it.

1 Like

I was a bit surprised by this because MN2 should be Bhikkhu Bodhi’s. IB Horner’s translations are in a separate folder elsewhere and should not show up. But I guess I know what is happening. Python picks the first one with the right id that it can find, no matter how the file is called or where it is stored. So I have removed that now and let Brother Joe know about the errors.

2 Likes

Thanks so much.