Meaning of the 'Iti pi so' verse?

We have normally heard it divided into 9 qualities as follows.
1.Araham 2. Sammasambuddho 3.Vijjacarana sampanno 4. Sugato 5.Lokavidu 6. Anuttaro purisadamma sarathi 7. Sattha devamanussanam 8. Buddho 9.Bhagawa
Recently I saw several dissimilar classifications by some individuals.
Is there any standard interpreting in the ebts?

Katamañca bhikkhave saddhābalaṃ: idha bhikkhave ariyasāvako saddho hoti. Saddahati tathāgatassa bodhiṃ:'itipi so bhagavā arahaṃ sammāsambuddho vijjācaraṇasampanno sugato lokavidū anuttaro purisadammasārathī satthā devamanussānaṃ buddho bhagavā’ti. Idaṃ vuccati bhikkhave saddhābalaṃ.
AN III_utf8

2 Likes

There’s no need for interpretation as the meaning is clear and translated:

Blessed One is perfected, a fully awakened Buddha, accomplished in knowledge and conduct, holy, knower of the world, supreme guide for those who wish to train, teacher of gods and humans, awakened, blessed."

https://suttacentral.net/sn48.11/en/sujato

3 Likes

Some interprets Araham as ‘Qualified (to receive any material or behavioral offering)’.
Some interprets Araham with four meanings ‘Qualified’ + ‘Not having Secrets’ + ‘Have destroyed the radians of the wheel of samsara’ + …
And you said ‘Perfected’.

Some interprets Sugato as ‘Well gone (in the eightfold path)’ or as ‘Walking well (physical)’.

1 Like

Unfortunately for us, there are many ways to translate most Pali words, and often no universally agreed upon translation. In my own practice, I leave some Pali words and phrases untranslated, and keep only their general definitions in mind. The Visuddhimagga goes into great detail on each of the nine qualities of the Buddha. If you’d prefer something shorter and more accessible, I recommend Piya Tan’s paper linked below.

15.7-Buddhanussati-piya.pdf (638.7 KB)

4 Likes