Mindfulness of Farts — Revisited

So we’ve already had a very nonsensical discussion about mindfulness of farts, I’d like to revisit that discussion with a more serious tone.

I recently did a 10-day meditation retreat and I’d like to share an experience I had that I believe is relevant to this serious topic of investigation. Here it is with the provisional title “An Ode to a Fart”:

From the depths of the bowels — the very beginnings, the inception, of a fart is realized with direct knowledge — “arising… arising…”. Awareness following the foul and unholy gas as it slowly creaks it’s way down the colon to the rectum, where, not wanting to disturb the peace of 99 other meditators in a sacred hall permeated by holy silence — it is held, building pressure… With mindfulness now established parimukhaṃ “at the opening”, carefully and quietly it is released (mokkha/mokṣa). Now beyond the bodily limit of inside/outside, the pressure wave continues. Expanding into the cushion like a miniature atomic explosion, there is a moment where with acute awareness I actually felt my body slightly levitate (iddhi?) with equal magnitude by the power of this force opposing gravity. Then, as the miniature explosion settles and the body returns to rest, the pleasant warmth of hot air spread across the base of the meditation posture. A slight smile.

10 Likes

Thank you so much for this deeply moving exploration of one of the lesser known aspects of meditation! :wind_blowing_face:

3 Likes

Congratulations now your are a fully pledged graduate of Satipatthana!

By the way this is already covered even though it is not mention explicitly.

"And how is a monk alert? When going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away… when bending & extending his limbs… when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl… when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring… when urinating & defecating… when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. This is how a monk is alert.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.007.than.html

1 Like

This linguistic (non-)controversy concerning the translation of these Pāli terms reminds me of the checkered history of a lot of post-Roman (i.e. Ecclesiastic) Latin terms, such as “ventus” for wind… which very frequently meant “fart” in Classical (“Roman”) Latin.

2 Likes