MN146 & SA276: Women in Indian Buddhism - Analayo

The first lecture in Ven. Analayo’s fantastic “Women in Indian Buddhism” E-course at the University of Hamburg. It is most likely a composite of the essay Robert posted:

But still explores some very interesting ideas.

https://lecture2go.uni-hamburg.de/veranstaltungen/-/v/17545

3 Likes

Dear Brenna, dear all,

here an overview on the lecturers and course topics. All lectures are held by internationally renowned scholars in their field of study:

1. Analayo: Women in Early Buddhist Discourse
  2. Amy Langenberg: Female Agency in Two Sanskrit Vinayas
  3. Mari Jyväsjärvi Stuart: Women in medieval Buddhist and Jain monasticism
  4. Nalini Balbir: Women in the Buddhist and Jain traditions
  5. Ute Hüsken: Women in the Theravāda Vinaya and the Brahminical Tradition
  6. Reiko Ohnuma: The Nun Thullanandā
  7. Shobha Rani Dash: Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī Narratives
  8. Liz Wilson: Hagiographic Buddhist Texts on Women
  9. Rita Gross: Women in Mahāyāna Sūtra Literature
  10. Alice Collett: Women in Early Buddhist Inscriptions
  11. Naomi Appleton: Women in the Jātaka Collection
  12. Monika Zin: Buddhist Women in Indian Art
  13. Petra Kieffer-Pülz: Summary and Outlook on Scholarship on Women in Buddhism

The first lecture by Ven. Anālayo indeed discusses the paper I had posted. Unfortunately, I cannot post the other paper that is discussed in that lecture due to copyright restrictions. However, I am thinking about posting a summary thereof.

With much mettā,
Robert

3 Likes

:pray:

Dear Brenna and Robert,

This just came to my memory earlier this evening: matā-pitu (mother & father). The Buddhaa recognized the importance of the mother (matā) first before the father :heart_eyes: We can also read in the suttas how he recognized the suffering a mother goes through in her pregnancy, in providing nourishment and raising her children.

with añjali and mettā,
russ

:pray:

2 Likes

There is a fantastic essay by Amy Langenberg on menstruation in Buddhism and how it corresponds to the spiritual ‘defilements’ of women in the suttas. Unfortunately, I can’t post it yet because the encylopedia it’s in is not published yet. However, you should check out her work because she writes some truly interesting stuff.

2 Likes