MN62, Bhikkhu Bodhi at Bodhi Monastery (lectures 143 and 144)

MN62
M0143_MN-062.mp3 (39.4 MB)
M0144_MN-062.mp3 (43.0 MB)

From the series Bhikkhu Bodhi: A Systematic Study of the Majjhima Nikāya. Lectures:

There is a helpful post by Ajahn Brahmali on the topic of MN 62 here:

Thank you for mentioning this interesting series of talks; I will try to listen to them.

1 Like

Since it is addressed at the level of the Buddha’s son, MN 62 is among the suttas appropriate to western practitioners as opposed to those delivered from the perspective of the arahant. It describes subsidary meditation subjects which can be used to settle the mind in the lead up to meditation on the breath, in terms of the the third tetrad:

"[9] He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in sensitive to the mind.’ He trains himself, ‘I will breathe out sensitive to the mind.’ [10] He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in satisfying the mind.’ He trains himself, ‘I will breathe out satisfying the mind.’ [11] He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in steadying the mind.’ He trains himself, ‘I will breathe out steadying the mind.’ [12] He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in releasing the mind.’ He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.’ —-MN 118

The four preparatory themes in MN 62 are the elements, the brahma viharas, asubha, and impermanence. These can have different applications in either satisfying (gladdening) the mind when it is lacking inspiration and energy, or on the other hand steadying the mind from the restlessness of sensual thoughts.