Monasteries under direct threat from Australian Fires (merged thread - not in order of posts)

Thank you for directing us to the January 7th update from Santi. The nuns describe more bushfires getting started in the area and threatening the monastery. Fortunately, however, the latest hotspots map suggests that those new outbreaks are no longer threatening, at least for now.

The map showing hot spots detected in the last 72 hours does show these fires, but when the map is restricted to the last 2 hours it shows none.

All hotspots detected in last 72 hours:

All hotspots detected in last 2 hours:

2 Likes

I just happen to hear about a fire south of Perth and Serpentine is mentioned!
I really hope everyone is safe in and around the monastery?
Could someone please verify?

3 Likes

Given the location information of the fire services the location of the fire is in the valley, at some distance from the monastery and Jhana Grove on the escarpment, and its trajectory (at the moment) is not towards serpentine.

Definitely something to keep a close watch for.
However I can let people know that there were several weeks of burning-off (bushfire prevention) around the monastery and local area, that took place in Sept/Oct last year, and that this should significantly lower the risk of the intensity of fire there.

May all fires be extinguished and all beings experience the extinguishment of Dukkha! :pray:

7 Likes

Thank you. Looking at this map the fire seems to move north east, as you said away from the monastery: Home - Emergency WA Warnings & Incidents
I was alarmed as it is only a few kilometers away from Bodhinyana.

4 Likes

Luckily the SW highway is decent size fire-break and the fire seems to be heading North. I’m going to JG tomorrow, so hopefully nothing comes of this!

8 Likes

Update on fires in Bundanoon and Santi

Posted: 11/1/20

Santi and Bundanoon ​had another lucky night ​last night​ from potential fire danger. The RFS were all prepared for another ember attack like last Saturday, but the southerly winds did not get as strong as expected. We were up much of the night listening to live RFS radio scanner comms from Bundanoon area online. One fire front came close to Sunnataram, ​crossing their property on the lower side and others on Teudts Rd, and was progressing closer towards Coalmines Rd (where Santi is) and Bundanoon. ​B​ut all ​is ​good so far, no losses (from early reports), and a bit of rain there this morning too. The RFS are continuing to manage the fires in the area, and this week seems like it will be easier weather for fire management.

Though we are ‘not out of the woods’ yet, so to speak, the weather is changing and hopefully will bring some soaking rain soon.

Update on Fires in Bundanoon and Santi | Santi Forest Monastery

:anjal:

9 Likes

Hi, I have updated the post since that early morning version. Unfortunately, Sunnataram did lose some buildings to fire yesterday - a women’s dorm and, it seems, a few kutis - but thankfully the main buildings were kept safe by the fire fighters. I’ve added articles with pics to the post. https://santifm.org/santi/2020/01/05/update-on-fires-in-bundanoon-and-santi/

Much metta and gratitude to you all for your kind concern and interest.
Ayya Jitindriya

14 Likes

The last ancient strand of Wollemi pines was saved! By extraordinary efforts of firefighters.

Pines Rescued

10 Likes

Update on Fires in Bundanoon and Santi

Posted: 17/1/20

We’re feeling very grateful for some most welcome rain across Eastern Australia in the last 2 days!

Bundanoon area hasn’t had a lot yet (maybe between 10-15mls), but its a start…
Misty and cooler temps all help to dampen the fires as well.

Update on Fires in Bundanoon and Santi | Santi Forest Monastery

:anjal:

5 Likes

Sad news from Santi Monastery with news from Ayya Jitindriya that at least one hut has been lost. There’s still uncertainty about several others until someone can get in there, but the main house and the nuns residences nearby were saved, thanks to back burning and aerial water bombing from the tireless efforts of the RFS. [EDIT: a few days later, Ayya Jitindriya tells me there is still some confusion at present about the building damage, as there has been conflicting reports]

Many of you have been following this thread for some time. It took weeks for the fire to reach Santi but in the end it was unstoppable, despite rain and human intervention. The power of nature… But I have been impressed by the power of compassion and generosity in our communities. People have expressed so much compassion for all the creatures of the forest killed or affected by the fire and groups of people are going down to drop food off for birds, wombats, wallabies etc to help them until the forest recovers.

It must have been very hard for the nuns to endure such a long period of uncertainty but whenever I spoke to Ayya Jitindriya she was stoic and philosophical - good practice!
See Ayya Jitindriya’s posts on the Santi website:

https://santifm.org/santi/2020/01/05/update-on-fires-in-bundanoon-and-santi/

The monastery will need support in the following weeks and months. You can donate at the link below and share with anyone who might be interested:

https://santifm.org/santi/donations/donate-on-line-here/

8 Likes

This is sad news. Did it happen this last weekend?

4 Likes

Yes, after a particularly hot day. I think it came as a bit of a shock in the local community after only just hanging on with several buildings lost the week before - I’m surprised there was much left to burn. But there were several new flare ups from the fires that previously hit the area. I’ve seen smouldering ground from fires weeks after they burnt. It’s very surreal. Still, I’m so glad that the nuns and community are safe and that the majority of buildings are ok.

7 Likes

I can’t ‘like’ your post, but I do respectfully acknowledge it. The flare-ups are continuing. Also in a couple of valleys further south that I am monitoring for family and friendship reasons.

I hope to be able to visit Santi Monastery again soon.

This summer in NSW was previously uimaginable. As I posted in another thread today:

8 Likes

:slight_smile: I gave a Heart anyway. I am sure it can be correctly translated in context. :wink:

May Santi recover easily and quckly, may the opportunity for lay generosity be shared by many, may this result in strengthening, sympathy, renewed bird song, and outright wisdom. :fountain:

8 Likes

Yikes! A second fire has hit Sunnataram Forest Monastery. Yesterday there were several new flare ups in the areas around the monastery, in places already damaged by fire. There is a heatwave predicted this weekend with temperatures reaching 45 degrees celcius, so please keep chanting for the little creatures and doing your rain dances!

6 Likes