Monastery and temples in South Africa

I do not know if there is any other South Africans on here (if there is any - hoezit en sharp sharp :grin:).
This is something that I’ve been wondering for a while now, but a little background first: there are various different Buddhist groups in SA - Zen in the Cape, different Tibetan groups (mostly Kagyu and Nyingma) in Gauteng. I know of one person who is trying to start Thich Nhat Hanh’s version of Zen in Tshwane. Then there is the big Chan temple and monastery in Bronkhorstspruit. In KZN there is the Buddhist Retreat Centre which is a mix of different Buddhist schools and other spiritual views. The only somewhat Theravada group is Dharmagiri, which is also a retreat centre.
Now I have been wondering: what is the requirements for a temple and monastery to be developed in a country? If there is any Theravada specific group or Thai forest group in SA, I am unaware of them - would love to know if anyone is aware, want to visit there then.
I visit those closest to me - usually the Tibetan groups or the one in Bronkhorstspruit - but are more drawn to Theravada and would really like to see a temple and/or monastery being build with monks of this group present in South Africa :pray:t4:

2 Likes

At a minimum, I believe you would need to provide proof that enough support exists. Here support means the Four Requisites (food, clothing, housing, medicine). You’d also have to prove that the support is stable, so not dependent on a few individuals or families who suddenly couldn’t offer support anymore because they had a new child, for example. There also have to be enough senior monks or nuns available to run the monastery. At least, that’s how they do it in the Ajahn Cha tradition. A monk I know from that tradition told me there are more people offering land and housing for new monasteries than there are senior monks available to run them. The rate that people disrobe is actually pretty high, so monks who have been in robes for 15-20 years are somewhat rare. Monks or nuns with only a few years under their belt are not generally entrusted with the responsibility of running monasteries.

2 Likes

https://www.dharma.org/teacher/bhante-buddharakkhita/

4 Likes

@Avadhutananda it doesn’t matter where you are going. A Tibetan centre, a Zen centre, A Chan centre, etc. there will no problem. No need to specifically to establish anything. As long as you practice the Teachings not just theorizing. :pray:

@dayunbao thank you for your reply, I see now how it can be difficult ( :smile: you’re kind of dashing my hopes there). I knew monks and nuns disrobe regularly, but did not know it is this bad.
Thank you @paul1 - unfortunately Uganda is up in Africa, a long way away from South Africa (two different countries). If I have to travel to Uganda, I can just as well travel to Thailand :wink:
@HSS that is true and I agree with you, and as I said, I have no problem with visiting those and practice with them. Just wouldn’t mind if there is a Theravada specific…

1 Like

To clarify a bit, I was referring to Western monastics and monasteries in the West that are part of the Ajahn Cha tradition.

It might be possible to set up a situation like the one Bhikkhu Bodhi has at the Chinese monastery he lives at in New York. If the Chan monastery near to you follows Yinshun’s teachings, and so is open to the EBTs and Theravada, and you find a Theravada monk who recognizes the Agamas, it might be possible to get some Theravada monks or nuns living at that Chan monastery.

1 Like