Monk with spear

“Despite my struggles, my guides, two very pleasant and otherwise helpful Arakanese men,
would not let me climb over or touch the Buddha in any way although they
themselves were standing casually on the statue (1.2). They explained to me
that women must not have any physical contact with the Buddha. I succeeded
in taking my pictures without any transgressions, but I felt there was a certain
irony in the situation: because I was a woman, I was forbidden access to a
little female figure on the base of the pedestal of a Buddha image that had
been commissioned by a woman .”—p 4

She has misinterpreted the situation. The motivation of the men is not misogynistic, but rather an effort to keep the male and female energies separate. This is an expression of mundane right view.

1 Like

Today I encountered monks on almsround, the leader carrying a bident.

On the upper end is a burning incense stick. This indicates the presence of holiness, possibly the beneficence of gods regarding the success of the harvest for a particular farmer.

5 Likes

Sorry, could you elaborate please? I’m not sure I see the connection between mundane right view and keeping male/female energies separate.

Maybe this could be in a new topic. It doesn’t really relate to the Great Spear Mystery of 2021. :wink:

4 Likes

Right. Sorry about that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Buddhism in Cambodia began with Mahayana and some of its influences persist, so the spear cannot be discussed without eventually examining that subject. For example the bident tradition may have been imported from Java 1000 years ago. With Mahayana comes the influence of male and female energies:

“While women likely have an easier access into this truth, the sacred feminine is not defined by gender. Essentially, it is a deeply receptive way of being in relationship with a living world, where everything is consecrated by an indwelling consciousness. Even the molecules in the air are pregnant with life giving energy. Trees, plants, rocks, animals, and the beings around us are all part of one living gestalt. When we tune into that, then the Eros energy of undifferentiated love suffuses our being.

Unfortunately, our current worldview has de-souled the living world, rendering it inanimate, dead, and devoid any sacredness. Patriarchy, and patriarchal religions, of which Buddhism is one, fears the energy of Eros due to its connection with sexual power, birth, and the instinctual realm of primal feeling.”—-Internet

In Theravada generally there are two episodes which although not explicitly described as such, seem to point to eros energy, that is the Buddha’s invocation of the earth goddess to gain victory over Mara’s hordes, and the offering of milk rice before awakening. As described in a previous post the former is a popular iconographic subject in Cambodia. These are not explicitly referred to as eros situations because the Theravada teaching is focussed on the level of transcendent right view, the attainment of nibbana. Mundane right view on the other hand deals at the level of conventional reality driven by cause and effect, where the goal is more fortunate rebirth, easily understood by common people:

"And what is the right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world.”—MN 117

The attraction between male and female is a very strong force and perceived by ordinary people in SE Asia to extend into the deva realm, and is the basis of their religion because its effects are observable and exhibit an unseen connection. So when they make offerings etc they expect to see results. That is cause and effect, mundane right view, and the monks have been drawn into supporting this in their involvement in public rituals.

The ordinary Cambodian is occupied with supporting either male or female energy in their daily activities and speech and that is their basic motivation, not material acquisition as in the west. In that way they believe they are contributing to the cosmic harmony. The eros energies are kept separate except on the occasion of marriage, when the carefully protected energies are released. As stated in the extract above, the west may have to re-engage with this tangible level of awareness as a means to solve the environmental crisis.

1 Like

Sorry, I missed what this all has to do with the bident?

2 Likes

In case anyone is wondering, the view of the human body in Mahayana sutras is still just the same one found in Theravada. There are still just the four elements of the body. No mystical male and female energies.

Maybe that changed in the late period of Indian Buddhism, when tantras were introduced. But those are pretty distinct from mainstream Mahayana, and kind of their own tradition (Vajrayana).

The bident thing seems to based on some local folk beliefs. That type of syncretism is actually pretty common in traditional Buddhist countries.

1 Like

Today I saw this bident where on the upper part something is bound to it with electricians tape .

2 Likes

Just guessing…incense stub?

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I also thought about some kind of picker, but most of those I have seen are hooks. But it sounds like it is mostly ceremonial.

1 Like

Today I sought information from a monastery which in BC (before covid) used to be also a tourist centre, so they would be used to dealing with westerners. There with the help of a translator a layperson gave the information that the bident is found only in rural areas where traditional practices are maintained (which is where I took the photographs and where the response about the harvest was given), and used to be a bell for going on almsround, and at some stage developed into a bident. This clarifies a response I got from a monk who said they didn’t carry the bident in his monastery. No information was given on the upper part and more work needs to be done.

8 Likes

The metal part looks like a compression jaws clamp with a stub of something (incense?) still in it. The electrical tape appears to be holding an exterior stick (incense?) in place.

Because of the information the bident is borne only in rural areas, I’m leaning to the conclusion it developed as a device for removing snakes from the path. This is supported by the small size of the head and accounts for the long length of the shaft. The area where the photos are taken is in the flood plain of a lake, and when the flooding starts in September, snakes move around to new areas. In centuries past there would have been many more than today. Probably today the bident is partly a reminder of traditional Khmer culture as I have seen one where the head was flat tin sheet more ceremonial in appearance. The north eastern part of Thailand where traditional rice farming is the main occupation borders Cambodia and here the culture and religion is also traditional. It may be based on boran kammatthana. The chanting heard from the monasteries includes one that is simply a rhythmic ascending and descending of four notes of the scale with a single repeated word which goes on for a long time, and appears to be a mantra. Rice farming has increased with the advent of covid and the decline in tourism. The upper part requires further investigation.

5 Likes

It looks like a low-tech version of a snake grabbing stick that people use in modern times.

I’m guessing the one with electrical tape is a repair job using a piece of wood for a splint.

51YyC-ZHJAL1

2 Likes

Today I was able to handle the bident in the photo, and on examination saw that a tube about 1/2 a centimetre in diameter was bound to the side of the shaft to serve as an incense holder. The top of the shaft itself was split to form a clasp which was probably used to hold incense before the holder was attached, and now contains mud. The full reason they carry the bident is still unknown, but part of it is a reminder of traditional culture. It may even carry connotations of dhutanga which is part of boran practice.

" Today, magicians and forest monks using these techniques are most prevalent in the banks of the Mekong in Cambodia and Laos; they are believed to have magical powers, the divine eye and the ability to communicate with spirits. They practice Kasina meditation, mantra recitation, and ascetic practices (dhutanga)."—Wikipedia

My motivation for examining these things is not to revive boran kammatthana, but to understand the Buddhism I see practised here. I see boran as a vestige of a past era which had a more devotional outlook according with Piscean values. I have learnt a lot from the discussion and wish to thank all contributors.

10 Likes

Seen today, another variation of the bident. The carved upper incense holder resembles a lotus bud:

4 Likes

The fact that the bident end is cacked with mud makes me think that it might also be used to secure / stick it on the ground while resting, or perhaps it doubles as a walking stick in rough terrain.

Of course, it could also have multiple uses, snake / animal moving being another one.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, as this photo has no explanation other than being titled “Buddhist monk in Seam Reap, Cambodia” but I noticed that the pole in the photo appears to be stuck into the ground, which made me think about the bident, perhaps the bident end would secure it in the ground as you mention and then the top end would hold the incense aloft.

4 Likes

Interesting the length is of a walking staff indicating a journey. There is also incense present. That monk is meditating and a kettle is there, and almost certainly on thudong (travelling dhutanga) as they often carry a kettle with them. The monk is young and thudong is normally done as an extra effort after ordination.
There is incense apparently burning, and SE Asian buddhists believe perfumed odours including from flowers such as jasmine, attract devas.

“Fear accompanied many wilderness newcomers, due in part to the insecurity of daily life and survival but especially fear of wild animals, sickness and injury, and – given the accretions of cultural lore – ghosts.”

https://www.hermitary.com/articles/thudong.html

The monk is meditating in a cultivated field amongst cassava plants, and that may be due to fear of ghosts and mosquitoes.

3 Likes