Most beautiful pictures/artwork of the Buddha/buddhism related

Guanyin Bodhisattva statue - painted wood carving. A gift from my son-in-law, bought in China in 2013.

2 Likes

My wife’s grandmother had a statue of Guanyin and so she remembers it more from her childhood. I don’t pay much attention to symbolism but I think it might be a Mahayana thing.

1 Like

Cool story. It starts at around 10:30 in the linked “Abduction of Kakati” podcast.

Wikipedia says…"

The story is one of those related by the bird Kunala, in the kunala Jataka.[1] The story is also very close to that of the Sussondi Jataka.[1]

I’m heartened to hear that there is a place for the singer-songwriter on the path. I’ve wondered if a DD thread of Dhamma music (rather than visual art) would be fruitful, but… :thinking: - the works that come to mind (with one or two exceptions - kd laing) are thematic (Everything Must Change) and might, with extraneous content, ruffle more than smooth feathers. Unlike the George Benson - which is just pure Dhamma and perfect in every way :grin:.

1 Like

There was a thread about that here

1 Like

Its wonderful khemarato
Its marvelous khemarato, as if…

Sorry…
S’what came to mind
:rofl:

1 Like

Might there, noble friend, be yet another way the dhamna is expressed in art? :wink:

To continue with the theme;
“There must be some way out of here…”
Movies that capture a sense of Samsara;

Momento
After Hours
The Cube (violent)
The Prisoner (British tv)

“It’s when a mendicant—gone to a wilderness, or to the root of a tree, or to an empty hut—sits down cross-legged, sets their body straight, and establishes mindfulness in front of them. Just mindful, they breathe in. Mindful, they breathe out…”

7 Likes

Beautiful. Is this your work or did you find it somewhere?

3 Likes

My wife showed the photo to me and I thought of meditating there. :blush:

3 Likes

(Source: Sophia Martinez’s post at National Geographic Official Forum on Facebook, 9 March 2024)

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

A beautiful place. Where is it, please?

1 Like

It’s in Lethbridge AB. Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden.

This place here has a long history connected to Pureland Buddhism. Japanese immigrants came for farming long before WWII, but when the Canadian government interned all Japanese Canadians during WWII and confiscated their land, here is where most were placed in the concentration camps. Southern AB used to be dotted with Pureland temples, but now I think they have all been reduced to just one.

The Japanese Canadian community in Lethbridge built this garden to commemorate their place here.

4 Likes

2 Likes

A Buddha statue at Poets Corner Community Garden in Redfern, Sydney. Flowers in the Buddha’s bowl are from the garden common area and from my plot. :pray: :tulip:

8 Likes

Nice. I went into this Buddha (at Kamakura) >10 years ago; it’s empty inside. Thanks for this photograph

2 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes