My reaction to 3 early Ashoka era suttas

I read the first three selections out of the following list last night and the feeling I had was deeply wistful. I realized how little I feel capable of the kind of committment to detachment or extraction illusttated by these early texts. I add the entries for the 2 Suttanipata texts said to be early too. But that that committment is implied to be prerequisit… it humbles me.

Ásoka & Early

All in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Suttanipata on Wisdom Publishing at verse # as provided.

Muni-Gāthā = Suttanipata vss. 207-221

Moneya-Sūta = Nālaka-sutta, Suttanipata vss. 699-723

Upatisa-pasine = Sariputta-sutta, Suttanipata vss. 955-975

Ațțhakavagga

Pārāyaņavagga

Schopen 1997 p. 24-25 “Bones, Stones etc…”[quote=“LeoCGOR, post:1, topic:29330, full:true”]
I read the first three selections out of the following list last night and the feeling I had was deeply wistful. I realized how little I feel capable of the kind of committment to detachment or extraction illusttated by these early texts. I add the entries for the 2 Suttanipata texts said to be early too. But that that committment is implied to be prerequisit… it humbles me.

Ásoka & Early

All in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Suttanipata on Wisdom Publishing at verse # as provided.

Muni-Gāthā = Suttanipata vss. 207-221

Moneya-Sūta = Nālaka-sutta, Suttanipata vss. 699-723

Upatisa-pasine = Sariputta-sutta, Suttanipata vss. 955-975

Ațțhakavagga

Pārāyaņavagga

Schopen 1997 p. 24-25 “Bones, Stones etc…”
[/quote]

If possible, could you kindly present us with a link to these as found in www.suttacentral.net ? :anjal:

1 Like

Hi @LeoCGOR , hope you don’t mind me offering some feedback on your post title and post.

The title “Saturday night suttas” is not very informative and won’t help people understand the content on the post. Maybe consider making the title more meaningful to general users by describing the actual topics the post explores.

If you want people to engage with your post you might need to add some quotes or links to the texts you cite. Otherwise most people won’t know what you’re taking about and won’t engage.

And finally think about whether a post is private musings - something for own self alone, or whether it is something that invites others in and encourages conversation - the latter is the best on the forum.

Hope this is received in the spirit it is intended.

5 Likes

Having a realistic view of one’s overall position is good. But the path is gradual and making step by step advances is the practical way to proceed.

Bikkhu Bodhi is beginning a course on the gradual path:

1 Like