Mythological Ideas in the Suttas - Imagining a way in which they can be true

Hello friends,
Since some time I think about, how in the suttas there appear to be teachings that are in odds with science, mount meru and so on. Now I am trying a hypothesis in which these things can be understand and are also factual. For example that mount meru is the earths magnetic field.
Do you have such theories?
All the best

2 Likes

I comment Ven Sujato’s course on Buddhist mythology to you.

Also these search results, that include many more links.

6 Likes

Thank You.

1 Like

Happy to be of service. This forum has been running for several years now and there’s a bit of a treasure trove hiding behind the search icon. :wink:

7 Likes

@UpasakaMalavaro be careful back there! I’ve lost several hours by accidently reading too many threads following a rabbit trail. :rofl:

6 Likes

A few days ago, I think I went through all topics from now until the beginning and read everything I found interesting at that time. I love the forum. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

My working hypothesis is that the myths exhaust the questing mind, freezing it up to the point where grasping ceases. Like this:

AN7.62:2.2: I was Sakka, lord of gods, thirty-six times.

Reading this, one understands “Aww crap, I can’t even remember my last life, let alone thirty-six times Sakka. sigh. Guess I’ll just have to go back to everyday practice…being here and now without wishes in this very life…”

1 Like