Navigation imperfections

Great, I’ve checked in both Chrome and Firefox and it works fine in both. We’ll see how it goes. FYI, the reason I suggested go with one option rather than seperate options for sidebar and header is basically complexity. With two options you get four states, with four times as many potential glitches.

we don’t complain, we give valuable suggestions :umbrella:

still a dedicated navigation bar (header) switch would do that for me

ooh…well that works! thank you very much, Bhante Sujato and Vimala! sādhu! :anjal: sādhu! :anjal: sādhu! :anjal:

Look at http://staging.suttacentral.net/

1 Like

There is a bug. When the thing is enabled (talking regular site here, not staging), and you navigate to a new page, the white space for the sidebar is there, but not the sidebar itself. The bug manifests on both Firefox and Chrome.

The bug does not show if you hit the prev/next buttons at the bottom of the page, or if you navigate through the top menu.

It does show if you go directly to a new text by editing the URL, or if you paste the same URL in a new window/tab, or if you close the site and open again.

So now we’ll spend time debugging, fun! This is why I always push back against feature requests: no-one considers the cost.

Ahh, please forgive me, my misunderstanding.

I cannot see this on neither Chrome nor Firefox when editing the url directly or when using any of the site’s navigation systems.
It did show in your other option: paste the same URL in the new window.

However, this bug was already there after @Blake installed the “Keep Sidebar Extended” button because I have seen it several times before but it never bothered me.

Okay, either way, but it is a bug and should be fixed.

Should be OK now (on master, not on staging yet). If it doesn’t, try refreshing your browser first.

The cost being that I learn a bit about the front-end side of things and have some fun :grinning:

1 Like

All good, thanks so much.

Well, I suppose that’s okay then.

sure…

Up and running on staging.suttacentral.net now as well with separate buttons for Sidebar and Header so you can just have the header remaining without the sidebar.

2 Likes

how soon will it transferred to the master?

:grin: As soon as somebody tells me I can!

it would be cruel and unfair of that somebody to withhold from the larger audience such a wonderful feature courtesy of yourself

1 Like

As long as you are fully aware of the consequences, namely, that if anything goes wrong i’ll say I told you so, then go ahead.

I’ll take that risk …

“break the system”

thank you very much ladies and gentlemen @Magandiya @Vimala @Sujato

@Magandiya @sujato

I use a Mac desktop (with a relatively a small screen) OS 10.10.5, and a ‘magic mouse’. I have the same problem as @Magandiya, ie. it’s way too sensitive. I do want the option to keep it open, but the way it pops up and down, comes and goes, often covering what I want to (re)read drives me a bit nuts at times. And it also makes the actual reading physically stressful, such as increasing eye strain due to all the movement.