Navigation imperfections

1. The link of the ‘next’ arrow button on the last page of English Khuddakapatha (Kp9)
    is https://suttacentral.net/None/dhp1#1 which leads nowhere, while there’s a working URL of https://suttacentral.net/en/dhp#1

2. Absent are ‘previous’/‘next’ buttons on the page of English Dhammapada (Dhp423)

and instead of the Dhammapada as a title, None appears here in the link tooltip after the link is clicked

3 Likes

Same kind of issue appearing when searching Sinhala texts. When I click on a link with page number the link is not working.

Ex: https://suttacentral.net/search?query_lang=si&query=සීලය+&offset=20&limit=10

But when I change some query parameters it works fine.
https://suttacentral.net/search?query=සීලය+&lang=si&offset=20&limit=10

The issue seems to be the wrong query parameter “query_lang” instead of “lang”.

@arunalakmal: Thank you for bringing this up. This is an issue with the search engine that was noted before and is marked on our issue list. If you do a search in any language other than pali/english, the next pages won’t work because it reverts back to searching in pali/english instead of the initial language that was requested.

@LXNDR: This issue I also placed on the issue list after you noticed it in February:

1 Like

i’d like an option to disable (or greatly desensitize) the menu bar across the top of the screen. i find it annoying, distracting, and obstructive when it descends into view over the text i’m reading or whenever some slight movement of the mouse - literally so slight as to be imperceptible to me - causes it to appear when i don’t want it for anything.

thank you.

2 Likes

unfortunately previously i failed to convince Ven Sujato on this subject

but i prefer it staying within view all the time

1 Like

that is indeed unfortunate. while i’d prefer it to stay out of view most of the time myself - which would be helpful to anyone with limited screen real estate, as i have at present, being on the road with my laptop - having the menu bar visible all the time would still be an improvement over its scampering about according to its own will as it does now. it’s unpredictable, not under the user’s control. these are highly undesirable traits in pretty much any technology.

That’s great.
If you have any guidelines how the website works I can help with fixing small issue as I know little bit of Python(I work as a PHP Web Developer).

@Sujato and @Blake … we now have three people (count me in too) who like to have the option to keep the top bar visible. May I suggest that it does so under the same “Keep Sidebar Extended” button?

1 Like

Thank you for your kind offer @arunalakmal. But this is not a bug but a design decision that needs to be taken.
However, I still have some texts (new translation Sinhala AN) that need coding in html if you are interested. But it is a bit of a big job.

That would be great if I can contribute anyway. But, I cannot make a huge commitment. I can contribute 30-60mins per day. I would like to take over small tasks first.

1 Like

Can i ask what device/browser/OS you’re using? I don’t see this behavior at all. For me, the nav bar hides itself when you scroll down, and shows when you scroll up. There’s nothing unpredictable about it. Perhaps its a browser compatibility issue.

Thanks so much! If you like, check out our Github to get an idea of the project:

SuttaCentral · GitHub

And have a look through our open issues:

are you sure? because that would be even more annoying - to have the menu banner drop down into my way when i was…

…oh, wait: i see what’s happening: we’re using different points of reference for what is scrolling “up” and what is scrolling “down”.

…which in turn may be an interesting psychological side-effect of using the Mac’s “natural scroll direction” setting for one’s trackpad.

i’m using Firefox 45.0.1 under Mac OS X v. 10.11.3 and, after years of only being confused by it, have finally wrapped my mind around using the Mac OS’s “natural scroll direction” setting for my pointing devices. with the result that brushing upward on the trackpad or the top surface of the Magic Mouse causes content to move upward on my screen (as if my fingers were pushing a piece of paper - hence Apple calling it “natural” scroll direction)…as a result of all of which i call that “scrolling up.” but it’s what i think i used to call “scrolling down” because it brings into view the content that’s lower down on the page (and i used to do it by moving my fingers downward instead of upward).

so yes - directionally, it’s working the way you describe; i’m just using different mechanics to achieve the same end. that clarified, we can proceed:

what i find annoying is mainly the sensitivity of the menu banner, which means that if i scroll down (using your directional reference) and then manually stop the scrolling (as opposed to brushing the trackpad to scroll down and letting the page come to rest where it may), the menu banner is so ridiculously sensitive that it often interprets as upward scrolling my merely having stopped the motion of the page and taken my fingers off the trackpad - which feels to me like lifting them straight off the trackpad, but may in fact have entailed the tiniest, most minute, humanly imperceptible motion that the menu banner code interpreted as scrolling up…causing the menu banner to studiously reappear, covering the first two lines that i just so carefully positioned at the top of the page.

you can see this hypersensitivity for yourself by going to a page that displays the offending banner, putting your fingers on your pointing device - especially (and maybe only) if you have a tactile pointing device like a trackpad or a Magic Mouse - and rolling your fingertips ever so slightly up and down. you’ll see how ridiculously, overly responsive the banner is. it’s like a hyperactive puppy that gets up and comes running because he thinks you might have thought about standing up yourself.

other times (this being study), i want to go back and re-read something i just read, and not infrequently, it’s the previous sentence or two. and scrolling…um…up…just a tiny bit to do so again causes the menu banner to drop down, which has the net effect in the user’s mind of the banner saying, “ahp! haha! no you don’t! - i’m going to drop down and cover exactly what you want to see!”

regardless of where the passage i want to re-read is, it’s very helpful to one trying to read a webpage if the dimensions of the area in which the readable content is displayed don’t keep changing; to have them change continually is disconcerting and exasperating. “the top of the page is here. ohp! nope - surprise! - now it’s here! oop! haha, fooled you - now it’s back to where it was a second ago!” - it drives me bonkers. it’s like having one of those annoying moving banner ads appear on the screen, and then go away, and then reappear, ad infinitum.

imagine you were reading a printed book and the top two lines of print kept jumping back onto the previous page and then reappearing on the page you’re reading, over and over. this is almost that bad, but mitigated the slightest bit by the fact that the lines appearing and disappearing are in fact doing so in (hypersensitive) relation to some (often unintentional) input of the user’s. it’s not entirely arbitrary, but it’s so sensitive to the user’s motion that it almost has that net effect.

it’s as if the lines in your printed book jumped around every time you touched the top of the page as if you might turn it.

what i think would be awesome would be some kind of very simple clickable toggle at the top right edge of the page that would cause the banner to slide up into its shell and stay there until that toggle was clicked again…or until the user left the site altogether and then returned to it. i know!: an upward arrow at the bottom right of the banner that, when clicked and the banner slides away, becomes just a little tab hanging down from the top of the page with a downward arrow or some other symbol on it that indicates, “click to make the banner reappear.” when visible, the banner could still do all the cool automated, almost-self-willed sliding up and down it presently does (the basic concept is indeed cool), but it could be told to get out of the user’s way and stay there until the user told it to come back.

that would be much more user-friendly, imho.

thank you for reading, Bhante.

:relieved:
:pray:

1 Like

I am sorry to cause such frustration, but I can’t see any of these problems on my device. I have to make a deliberate attempt to scroll up to get it to appear. This behavior is standard on Android, and is one of the recommended design patterns for Material Design; there’s nothing wrong with it in principle. It seems as if there’s a bug in how it works with Firefox and/or Mac, I will see if we can uncover it. Meanwhile, perhaps @Vimala or @blake can adjust the “Keep Sidebar Extended” widget to include the page header.

1 Like

I just found our new motto. From AN 8.27:

ujjhattibalā bālā
Complaining is the power of fools.

:innocent:

1 Like

that’s definitely true here! :smile:

thanks for your time, Bhante. i can at times - at a lot of times - forget that whatever such difficulties i have are just opportunities to develop my dispassion, non-attachment, and patience.

But in all seriousness, please don’t stop with the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

:grin: It’s done!
Thank you very much @Magandiya!
So in any of the texts, you need to go to the menu icon in the top left corner, this brings up the sidebar. You then click on Controls and check the box for Keep Sidebar & Header Extended.
If this box is not checked, the site will continue to show the normal behaviour.

3 Likes

@Vimala How can I help to coding Sinhala AN to html?

That is great. Thank you very much ! I will email you with the details. There is no rush … we have no deadlines. Just see how you go.