New Upgrade for SuttaCentral

Wow, that’s great. Thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like

I just sent it all over facebook. :grinning:

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

Thanks Ayya @Vimala. Yeah, I saw I could open just a section but if I’m just looking for a sutta by name (or not even sure of the exact name until I see it) and don’t know where it is, that doesn’t work without scrolling through lots of suttas trying to din it or even trying to find what section it’s in. Or if I’m trying to find the reference by the PTS number I guess no way to do without scrolling through?

I guess I need to somehow learn how the various search feature work, I must be missing a lot in terms of how to find things. Any chance of a summary about how to use the search functions for those of us relaly unfamiliar with such technology. I think I saw in some other discussion that thre are vairou ways one can search.

@silence, thanks for your tutorial

I do get a large portion of the traffic from facebook on my EBT website

I was just kidding (see thread about FB). :grin:

Hmmm … no, afraid not. With the next upgrade you will be able to search for a sutta number and you can always search for the name of the sutta, but not for the PTS number.

1 Like

I’m a little confused with the the Dhammapada…
If go to the sc/dhp I have a whole lot of sutta cards. I want to read the Papa Vagga, so I scrolled down to that card… and I can’t click on it to jump to that part of the dhammapada.

In the old SC I could use the sidebar/draw to jump down to a spot in the dhp or in longer suttas without scrolling through the whole text. How do I do this now?

1 Like

Yes, these texts are a bit difficult because they are all in one file but if you make just one file and then link all the parallels to that you get over 2000 parallels so a bit much so it was divided into sections. But the whole thing with these “division length texts” as we call it is not ready yet. Blake had some ideas on how to improve it but he’s still working on it.

So for the time being you can only access the Dhammapada from the top card and the other cards are only for showing parallels.

I know you don’t believe in Jquery, but if you did… you could use it to pull all the h2 (or whatever H level it is) in the long suttas, and maybe the DHP, to make a short menu at the top of the text.

It has nothing to do with believing in jquery or not. The old site was built on jquery. But Polymer is just a very different library and there is no point using two different libraries.

The method you indicate here only works on HTML elements and will not work over shadow doms and webcomponents; it’s just a very different technology.

I also think that JQuery will in the coming years be replaced by the more modern webcomponents methods but at the moment there are still some childhood diseases with that.

3 Likes

I have no idea what any of this means. And I therefore have a huge respect for all of you guys here who have made this invaluable resource, really. Seems like such a cutting edge system you are building, and already it is an invaluable digital resource, so much more valuable in terms of function and accessibility, than we have ever seen in the 2,500 year history of the dhamma.

I am so happy to see monastics in particular, who are so heavily into the dhamma, and so computer literate with all the new skills and knowledge. Of course very happy for all the non-monastics working on this too (I assume there are some!), but something about monastics being so good at tech feels somehow especially pleasing. I guess because sometimes monastics in whichever religion, are in some respects behind the times. There are the Japanese attempts to get with the times of course, by having monastic fashion shows and talking robots, but I think that is adopting degeneration in a PR attempt to keep their paying customers!

This however, is the real deal :heart:

5 Likes