Noble Tenfold Path?

I hope we can take this discussion in good spirit, I at least am not less a buddhist because I’m critical… It’s good to keep in mind that we deal with very complex matter here, and I would doubt simple answers. Just to pick two aspects:

• about ‘meditation’/jhanas and right view. I think we can defend almost every position here. Is a jhana with imperfect view the same as with perfected view? we can focus on the momentary peace and then we have, like Bhante Sujato pointed out, the same jhana. When we take into consideration the conditionality of states, that every state of mind is ‘going somewhere’ then imperfect-view-jhana is radically different, because the focus here is on a very different direction (because it makes a difference if we end up on mars or in open space).
    From a practice point of view again I think both positions are valid and probably a balance would be wise: to develop the rightest view possible with a sensible amount of work, put it into practice, use that clarity of mind to dive deeper into the teaching, clarifying the view a bit more, gaining deeper meditation, etc. I for example sit often in meditation and wonder 'how is this state of mind fed by wrong view? I don’t actively sit there, thinking ‘I am this, I am that, and as such I meditate’. It’s a mess, all kinds of views guide my perception, mostly unconscious, and it takes me a lot of work in subtly to identify a speck of hidden atta-belief, which results in more peace. But to me this is super-difficult, to trace the mind-reality of imperfect views, beyond the intellectual ‘I’m not supposed to identify as anything’. And with my limited practice I can only wonder how on earth those saintly practitioners who attained super lofty samadhis, what ‘markers’ do they have in their experience that indicate whether there is still a subtle atta or not?

Which leads to the second very complex point of teachers, their attainments and teachings. Obviously I believe there was a Buddha with an amazing teaching and teaching capabilities. But his words have been edited surely by people with imperfect memory, less teaching skills, and probably not all of them were arahants. The search for authentic teaching is arduous and I’m so grateful for the monks and lay people (of which many are here!) who take on this task. I at least also benefit a lot from more contemporary teachers, for example the Thai tradition, and there we sometimes have the notion of ‘the-one-who-knows’. What is this?? did they introduce atta through the back door? or is it a simplified way to address something that would be too complex to unbox all the time? my point is that giving an authentic verbal expression to experiences, insights, and teaching in general is a walk on a tight rope, and not everyone is blessed with perfect teaching skills, even if they’re arahants, and we can’t only rely on the verbal level in search for inspiration but are in a more complex feedback loop of reading, practising and understanding.

1 Like

The usual description of omniscience in the suttas is as follows:

Whether I am walking or standing or sleeping or awake, knowledge and vision are continuously and uninterruptedly present to me. (from MN 79)

The Buddha says he does not have such kind of omniscience:

I recall having actually made the utterance in this way, great king: ‘There is no recluse or brahmin who knows all, who sees all, simultaneously; that is not possible.’ (from MN 90)

If you hold on to an idea that there is a permanent aspect to the five khandhas, you will be blocked from gaining any liberation beyond samādhi, and in fact you will take the samādhi as a confirmation of your existing view. At the very least it is important to have an open mind, otherwise you will just tend to get your existing views confirmed.

The main point is that you need an open mind and should not have a commitment to a real existing Gabriel. It is really the commitment to a particular identity which is the problem. So perhaps it is better to say one should avoid wrong view.

2 Likes

Just an addendum to our former discussion when we wondered how developed the Buddha’s teachers were. Read MN 106:

“When that bhikkhu clings [to the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception], Ananda, he clings to the best clinging; for this is the best clinging, namely, the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception.”

The Buddha goes on describing how when this /last/ clinging is let go, Nibbana is attained.

3 Likes

the meaning of ‘best clinging’ must be that it leads to rebirth in the loftiest sphere, but regarding this type of clinging the Buddha still explicitly states

He delights in that equanimity, welcomes it, and remains holding to it. As he does so, his consciousness becomes dependent on it and clings to it. A bhikkhu with clinging, Ānanda, does not attain Nibbāna.

2 Likes

Thank you Gabriel for this list. I did not know the 10 fold path existed outside of MN 117 since my reading of suttas is narrow.

As for your old original inquiry, my speculative view is, in my opinion, the Four Noble Truths are generally held too high in esteem by most Buddhists and in Buddhism (as a contemporary religion). AN 5.159 states the Buddha taught a good sermon is ‘gradual’ (step-by-step) in nature thus, following this principle, I regard the Four Noble Truths, which were the very 1st Sermon, to be merely an introductory or beginners teaching (of lokuttara dhamma). In short, for the most part, the Four Noble Truths instruct the volitional giving up or abandoning of craving (rather than the automatic ending of craving that occurs through the vipassana of clearly seeing the Three Characteristics, which was taught in the 2nd Sermon). Since the Four Noble Truths was an introductory teaching and since the Three Characteristics were not yet revealed by the Buddha, naturally, the Buddha taught the Eightfold Path in his 1st Sermon rather than the Tenfold Path.

If the Buddha taught not-self (anatta) in the 1st Sermon, it may have been too radical & the listeners may have lost confidence in the Buddha. Keep in mind, after the 1st Sermon was preached, only one of the five listeners attained a realisation of impermanence only. Therefore, the five listeners had lots of work to do before their minds were ready for the Samma Nana & _Samma Vimutt_i.

Regards

1 Like

Check out MN28, the whole Dhamma is contained in the “elephant’s footprint” of the Four Noble Truths. The 4NT’s are like the meta-structure of the whole teaching.

It was the first sermon given to those “with little dust in their eyes” after the freshly Awakened Buddha surveyed “the world”, already very wise Kondañña realized the Dhamma right there, so I would be cautious to call it a beginner’s teaching. The gradual training itself, in at least one formulation, culminates in the realization of the Four Noble Truths as the final step. The Eightfold Path begins with the Sammā Diṭṭhi which itself is an initial ‘view’ of the reality the Four Noble Truths, and culminates with Sammā Ñāṇa which is the realization or direct knowledge of the Four Noble Truths leading to liberation.

You also seem to draw a distinction between the trilakkhaṇa and the cattāri ariyasacca. I’m not sure this can really be justified either. How can there be self-view if craving has been completely abandoned? Same for seeing activities as permanent or satisfying.

Despite the above, I do agree with you to some extent, but for almost the opposite reason. I think the 4NT’s are a very advanced teaching, and that the gradual training (in it’s many forms) should be more popular. What most non-Buddhists know about Buddhism (and what is repeated in the many synopses on world religions) is just the 4NT’s and N8FP — on their own they can seem kind of abstract and alien. Perhaps instead — generosity, love, and other virtues (with reasoned reflection) should be propagated as foundations to the Buddha’s education system.

I am not sure about the relevance of your reply since my post emphasised the nature of the very 1st Sermon, which did not even expound the details of the factors of the Noble Eightfold Path.

My post emphasised that the teaching of the Dhamma during the very 1st Sermon was simply too immature to reveal a Tenfold Path.

That said, the 4NTs are not the whole teaching; just as the frame of a house is not the whole house. The 4NTs do not trace the origin of suffering to ignorance, nor mention the 3Cs or emptiness (sunnata). For example, sunnata is more advanced than the 3Cs because impermanence is not a prerequisite for emptiness. When dhammas are seen clearly, they are completely empty of any ‘self’ regardless of impermanence. That is why Nibbana is empty (anatta; sunnata) but not impermanent (anicca) or unsatisfactory (dukkha).

[quote=“SCMatt, post:26, topic:2963”]
Kondañña realized the Dhamma right there[/quote]
My impression is Kondañña realised stream-entry right there.

And while this discourse was being spoken, there arose in the Venerable Kondañña the dust-free, stainless vision of the Dhamma: SN 56.11

If the Four Noble Truths was the final step, what was the purpose of revealing the Three Characteristics?. Kondañña realised the Dhamma & Arahantship by realising the Three Characteristics according to SN 22.59.

Indeed, at that time there were six arahants in the world.

_Lost in samsara

~~

I think the distinction is completely justified by the very fact that the two teachings are distinctly different. Apart from ‘becoming’ (bhava), which in itself does not negate ‘self’, ‘self-view’ & ‘anatta’ are not mentioned in the 4NTs, nor is impermanence or unsatisfactoriness of all conditioned phenomena (sankhara) explicitly mentioned. If there was a true Self or Atman, this could possibly be something free from becoming or free from craving. For example, the Bhagavad Gita may possibly teach about an Atman free from craving & attachment. Unless the 3Cs and D.O. are revealed, there is nothing in the 4NTs, imo, that reveals anatta.

Also, the idea of separation exists only when we identify with this body, a particular name and form. We say ‘I’ and ‘the other’ only with respect to name and form. When we understand that the identification with name and form is just an illusion, there is no more separation, there is only One. Then there is no more selfishness, there is no harming somebody else to do good for yourself. All ideas of fear, hope, worry, anxiety, desire, craving, killing, being killed, all these ideas vanish. You know yourself to be the One Self, you are the only one. With this knowledge, you live in the present and do the most appropriate thing you can do at this moment

From: The Self neither kills, nor is it killed (Bhagavad Gita 2.17-21).

For me, the 1st noble truth only explains the different types or mental experiences of suffering. I get the impression you believe the 1st noble truth states the five aggregates are ‘unsatisfactory’ rather than grasping at the five aggregates is ‘suffering’.

At least in my reading, the 1st noble truth identifies ‘grasping’ (upadana) as the problem (rather than the five aggregates), as described in SN 22.1 and SN 22.48.

To me, the 4NTs are not the most advanced teaching because they do not explain how to uproot craving. I think it would be very difficult for ‘right view’ alone to uproot the tendency (anusaya) towards craving. ‘Right view’ primarily promotes foresaking craving. If Right View was Samma Nana, why would it be termed differently?

Unless reference is made to the Satipatthana or last tetrad of the Anapanasati Sutta, the 1st Sermon does not explain how to practise Vipassana (seeing the Three Characteristics).

While not an absolute correlation in the suttas, the five disciples (SN 22.59) and disciples such as Rahula (MN 147) each reached arahantship via the realisation of the 3Cs where as disciples such as Kondañña (SN 56.11), Upali (MN 56), etc, attained stream-entry via the Noble Truths.

Can you provide individual examples from the suttas (apart from the generalisations in the Three Knowledges) where an individual attained arahantship by only discerning the Noble Truths?

He should develop the perception of inconstancy so as to uproot the conceit, ‘I am.’ For a monk perceiving inconstancy, the perception of not-self is made firm. One perceiving not-self attains the uprooting of the conceit, ‘I am’ — Unbinding in the here & now." AN 9.1

And what is the development of (mind using) concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents (asava)? There is the case where a monk remains focused on arising & falling away with reference to the five clung-to-aggregates: ‘Such is form, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is feeling, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is perception, such its origination, such its passing away. Such are fabrications, such their origination, such their passing away. Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.’ AN 4.41

Bhikkhus, form is impermanent. What is impermanent is suffering. What is suffering is nonself.

SN 22.45 among many others

i think what’s most important is realization of anatta specifically with regard to the five khandhas rather than just any or all phenomena out there, because it’s them whom we habitually and tenaciously associate ourselves with falling into a fallacy of self-view, and khandhas are indeed impermanent

nibbana i’m not sure can positively be labeled anything and so if application of anatta quality to it is justified
i don’t rule out the possibility of me missing this point in the suttas, and so will be happy to be proven wrong

Well, the whole point of realization is not-clinging ultimately, so obviously no clinging leads directly to the realizatin of nibbana. Yet there are differences in quality, especially taking into consideration that there is a gradual development. The teaching is clear: clinging/grasping/desiring is at the root of dukkha, and the end of clinging is the end of dukkha. But there is also the practical aspect of we-can’t-help-but-to-cling. Or can you just stop clinging because the Buddha said so? So we cling, and among the spheres of clinging some seem to be more conducive for realization and others less. In that sense I understand a clinging to the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception as ‘the best’ as here the mind is most ready - not for the sake of rebirth, or because it’s so nice to chill out there.

1 Like

For us the first teaching has an important place as it set in motion the wheel of dhamma. I doubt that because of that is was ‘the best’, ‘the ultimate’ or ‘the deepest’ teaching. I would take it - like every other teaching - as one designed for his audience to help to end dukkha. If it was exactly as we find it in SN 56.11 we don’t know, also if or why he didn’t go into the tilakkhana. But at several places in the suttas we find a collection of dhamma frameworks the buddha considered as dhamma associated with enlightenment, or Bodhipakkhiyādhammā. It appears e.g. in AN 7.67, MN 77, MN 103, MN 104, MN 149, MN 152 and encompasses:

• the four satipatthana
  • the four right kinds of striving
  • the four bases for spiritual power
  • the five faculties (+ = the five powers)
  • the seven bojjhanga
  • the Noble Eightfold Path

To clarify (again). In the formula used in the 2nd Sermon, the foundation for understanding anatta is understanding impermanance. Thus the phrase: “What is impermanent is unsatisfactory. What is unsatisfactory is nonself.

However, in teachings about emptiness (sunnata), such as SN 35.85, SN 22.95 or SN 35.101, impermanence is not mentioned. Even in lower levels of meditation, to see the body breathes rather than the ‘self’ breathes is to see anatta/ sunnata without needing to see impermanence. Or to simply look at one’s hand or fingers, it can be seen there is no ‘self’ in a finger (particularly if the finger was severed).

[quote=“LXNDR, post:28, topic:2963”]
nibbana i’m not sure can positively be labeled anything and so if application of anatta quality to it is justified[/quote]
Well, the traditional standard interpretation of the following phrase (also in AN 3.136) is that the word ‘dhamma’ is used instead of ‘sankhara’ so to include Nibbana within ‘not-self’:

277. “All sankhara (conditioned things) are impermanent” — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. “All sankhara (conditioned things) are unsatisfactory” — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. “All dhamma (both conditioned & unconditioned things) are not-self” — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

Dhammapada

MN 1 states:

He directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not … conceive Unbinding as ‘mine,’

I have read Western Buddhists quibble about this matter on the internet where they often seem to condition each other with similar views but, to me, the above matter about ‘Nibbana is anatta’ was never an issue or controversy when I studied in Asia.

The theme you may possibly be proposing I notice is popular and one I at least personally disagree with, namely, the idea that ‘non-labelling’ is Nibbana. Since Nibbana is the destruction of craving, using labels, as the Buddha did, without craving, at least to me, does not change Nibbana.

i think the statements on emptiness must be considered together with other statements where anicca and anatta are explicitly linked and the suttas read in sequence

for example SN 35.85 whos subject is emptiness of the sense organs is followed by SN 35.86 whos subject is their impermanence, similarly SN 22.95 is followed by SN 22.96 with the subject being impermanence, the same is true for SN 35.103 (SN 35.102 is almost identical to SN 35.101 that’s why the next is SN 35.103) although there the theme of impermanence is less pronounced

i think it’s no coincidence, in this i see an organisational pattern every so often applied in the Samyutta Nikaya to short suttas in particular, whereby longer doctrinal statements are divided and spread out across several suttas for the sake of further elaboration or repetition, in our case it’s applied to this recurrent thesis

Bhikkhus, form is impermanent. What is impermanent is suffering. What is suffering is nonself.

anatta as one of the 3 marks of existence covers phenomena of this world, samsara, and its extension to nibbana, which is the opposite of samsara and lies beyond it, doesn’t make sense to me

the adduced statements in support of this view both in the Dhammapada and AN 3.136 don’t explicitly include nibbana under the heading of ‘phenomena’

It may be that way but as far as I am concerned emptiness (sunnata) remains independent of impermanence (anicca). No amount of theories about sutta structure can change what, to me, is both plainly obvious & a standard teaching in contemporary Buddhism.

It is not an unreasonable or inherently harmful or obstructive statement to say: ‘Nibbana is not-self (anatta) or empty (sunnata)’.

Based on your point of view, you seem to be asserting Nibbana is ‘self’ (‘atta’) given you are asserting Nibbana cannot be ‘not-self’ (‘anatta’).

My understanding is anatta is one of three ‘characteristics’ of conditioned things (sankhara), where conditioned things include the five aggregates (SN 22.90), which includes materiality. Please explain exactly where you derive the term “existence” from in relation to the phrase ‘three marks of existence’? What is the Pali word for ‘existence’ here?

[quote=“LXNDR, post:32, topic:2963”]
anatta as one of the 3 marks of existence covers phenomena of this world, samsara, and its extension to nibbana, which is the opposite of samsara and lies beyond it, doesn’t make sense to me[/quote]

I do not recall posting the three characteristics apply to Nibbana. What was posted was not-self (anatta) only applies to Nibbana.

‘Sankkhara’ are ‘condtioned things’. ‘Dhamma’ is ‘all things’. The 3 marks applies to all sankhara. Just because what is impermanent is not-self, does not mean what is not-self is impermanent; just as all dogs are animals but all animals are not dogs.

Your logic here appears similar to Nargajuna, who seemed to argue that because the sign of conditioned things is ‘emptiness’; the sign of emptiness is conditionality (cause & effect). This is not necessarily true and one of the questionable views exhibited by the proponents of Nargajuna.

MN 43, for example, uses emptiness (sunnata) as a synonym for Nibbana:

…the unshakable liberation of mind is declared the foremost. And this unshakable liberation of mind is empty of lust, empty of hatred, empty of delusion.

‘Nibbana’ is a ‘dhamma’ & a ‘dhatu’, as stated in many places (MN 115; Iti 44, etc). ‘Nibbana’ is an ‘ayatana’ (sense object - Ud 8.1) and obviously why ‘mind objects’ are called ‘dhamma’ rather than ‘ideas’.

For example, when Thanissaro translates ‘dhamme’ in relation to the mind sense base as ‘ideas’, this is obviously not correct given the here-&-now Nibbana is known by the mind but Nibbana is not an ‘idea’. That is why, I assume, the standard translation of ‘dhamma’ in relation to the mind sense base is ‘mind objects’.

Since when was Nibbana not a ‘dhamma’ or not a ‘dhatu’? Even if the translations of ‘thing’, ‘phenomena’, ‘element’, etc, may sound unreasonable to you, Nibbana is obviously something given the Buddha obviously described Nibbana extensively in myriad ways.

your first assumption is inconsistent with the second

i used the conventional title

(the position described in the article agrees with yours, but it notably, or i’d say notoriously, lacks references to the Canon, not even to the Abhidhamma, all references are to works of scholars)

if nibbana is a dhamma then it must belong to this world, must it not? if it does belong to it, it cannot be permanent and so is subject to all 3 marks

Thanks. This position described does not agree with mine. SN 22.59 does not state there are three characteristics of all existence (‘bhava’ ?) and beings (‘satta’). SN 22.59 states materiality, feeling, perception, mental forming & consciousness exhibit the three characteristics.

When a Buddha ends ‘being’ (SN 5.10), the aggregates of the Buddha still exhibit the three characteristics (per SN 22.85).

If fact the idea of being a ‘being’ (SN 5.10) is tainted with ‘self-view’ therefore it is an unusual statement or dogma to me to assert that a ‘self’ or ‘being’ is ‘not-self’. While ultimately ‘beings’ are ‘not-self’, the mind of a ‘being’ (‘satta’ hindered & fettered by ignorance & craving) does not know ‘not-self’.

To me, ‘existence’ is a very broad term & not exactly a clearly defined word in Buddhism, since it is used as a translation to mean many things, such as ‘bhava’ (‘becoming’) or atthitañceva in SN 12.15.

A rock, cloud or drop of water seems to have the three characteristics but these things do not appear to have ‘bhava’ (becoming) or are ‘satta’ (beings).

I get the impression using the term ‘existence’ in this context may be influenced by Mahayana or Nargajuna (but I could be wrong here).

i guess existence means first and foremost existence of animate beings, since it’s them whom the Dhamma is addressed to as potentially liberate-able, inclusion of everything else would be nonsensical

the article agrees with your position in that anatta is applicable to both conditional and unconditional phenomena and explicitly to nibbana

to my knowledge nowhere in the Canon anatta is directly applied to nibbana, i remember it only appearing in the context of conditional phenomena

that’s not to say that nibbana is atta, rather that it is neither one nor the other

I stand corrected.

Maybe there are different teachings depending on the mental disposition or proclivities of the student?

Interesting. Even craving for it’s own existence?

Why not both? In one translation at least it’s “in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.”

I may have misspoken, “most advanced teaching” probably not the best way to say it. I will continue to hold that the 4 Noble Truths in their 3 phases and 12 aspects contain the outline of the whole of the teaching. Right View is not Right Knowledge, Sammā Diṭṭhi is the ‘seeing’ of the 4NT’s; Sammā Ñāṇa is the actual accomplishment — that is, respectively to each of the 4: the full understanding of dukkha, the abandoning of it’s origin, the realization (making real) of it’s cessation, and the development of the way leading to such.

Well, for starters the Buddha:

“But when my knowledge and vision of these Four Noble Truths as they really are in their three phases and twelve aspects was thoroughly purified in this way, then I claimed to have awakened to the unsurpassed perfect enlightenment in this world” SN56.11

From DN2:

“When his mind is thus concentrated, pure and bright, unblemished, free from defects, malleable, wieldy, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the destruction of the cankers. He understands as it really is: ‘This is suffering.’ He understands as it really is: ‘This is the origin of suffering.’ He understands as it really is: ‘This is the cessation of suffering.’ He understands as it really is: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’ He understands as it really is: ‘These are the cankers.’ He understands as it really is: ‘This is the origin of the cankers.’ He understands as it really is: ‘This is the cessation of the cankers.’ He understands as it really is: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of the cankers.’

Admittedly, this isn’t an example of an individual attaining arhatship. But it does show that complete understanding or direct knowledge of the 4NT’s is synonymous with liberation/arhatship.

I do not disagree with you here. However, in my opinion, other more advanced teachings make it easier to achieve the 3 phases and 12 aspects, such as vipassana of the three characteristics is stronger for uprooting craving than the perception that craving leads to suffering.

With metta

Hi Gabriel and other dhamma friends, my humble idea to the original question is that the Noble Eightfold Path is the path of practice and training, where as the 9th and 10 Path factors are fruits of practice and not the practice itself. I think cultivating the 9th and 10th factors come about by practicing the 8fold path. I am very interested in this topic and I wish I had more to back this up by than my mere opinion. I think the 10 fold path may be inclusive of Buddha’s entire sasana, because it may include the 4 liberations and actual experiential knowledge of the path instead of trainees knowledge of the instructions that are contained in the 8fold Path. The 8 fold path, thought not inclusive of Buddhas complete sasana, is inclusive of what can actual be practiced. I think there maybe a conceptual distinction between the 8fold path and the 10fold path because what is needed for enlightenment is the instructions and the ability to practice, but if we are to include the fruits of practice and the realizations that the Buddha promises us happen because of practice then we need a 10fold path to contain it all. These are my thoughts. Has anyone seen of any research in articles or books written on Right Knowledge and Right Liberation? If anyone has, I think it would be helpful to have deeper analysis. I am going to post this question on the forum to get wider view. If there has been any books or articles written on Right Knowledge or Right Liberation, I would be happy to read them. Peace and Metta

4 Likes

Thanks for this interpretation. This is actually the same feeling I have towards the 8- and the 10-fold paths! Unfortunately there is just not that much in the suttas (but I’m interested to look again). It would be very interesting though how and if the last two bits are described in the chinese texts. Sometimes those differences are very revealing and hopefully people will respond to your questions!

3 Likes