Notes on geography for Map of Early Buddhism

Hi Aminah, this is awesome. I am still getting my head around what you’ve actually done here.

So how did you actually do this???

Interesting, I’m not familiar with the app at all. I’m not hugely enamoured of being connected to Google’s ecosystem, and would much prefer an open source alternative. On the other hand, Google Maps is really good, and there are lots of bugs with the uMap interface. And not to forget, we are building a Material Design site, which will closely match the interface of Google Maps.

How easy is it to port the data across?

I’m sure there are. The general idea was to remove all references to later material, but there’s a lot of stuff and it will be imperfect. I don’t think it’s a huge problem if there are occasional later references left behind.

As for the corrections you list, I will do these when i get a chance, thanks for noting them.

I really don’t know, but sure, there may well have been fluidity and overlap. We know that some boundaries, at least, shifted in this time, i.e. Benares, and that the whole map was totally redrawn just a few decades later.

1 Like